1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it time to rethink canned rejection responses?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Obelia, Aug 13, 2009.

There's been some discussion of this on the Vilesilencer forums, but I'd like to run this idea by any directory owners who missed it there. When people submit to directories, it's normal to get very little feedback. Either the website is accepted or rejected, but it's more or less unheard of to get a reason for the rejection.

I think this can be changed, and I also think there's a lot to be gained by doing so. Now, before you all shout that this is unworkable, let me stress that I'm not suggesting you all write individual emails to everyone who gets rejected. Not at all.

As directory editors you probably notice patterns to the way people submit, and most rejections come under several broad categories. There are the people who submit inappropriate websites; those who submit unfinished ones with holding pages and no content; those who can't write a decent description and find the right category; and so on. So instead of sending out a long catch-all rejection, it could be possible to create a small number of rejection templates that you can choose to send as an alternative.

Possible benefits of this approach:
    • Your directory gets a reputation for fairness and responsiveness.
    • Submitters realise what they are doing wrong, potentially reducing the numbers of bad submissions.
    • Often directories themselves are blamed for the failure of a round of submissions. It's a chance to set the record straight.

Obelia, Aug 13, 2009 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My rejection email is a bunch of bullet points which are the common reasons for non-acceptance. I sometimes edit the email template to put the offending bullet at the top of the list and an extra space beneath, I also sometimes add a new bulllet as needed.

syted, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  3. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the specifics of the directory - Mainly is it paid or is it free - secondary is to they refund fees for sites not accepted...

If they are free - sending a canned rejection is fine or even no rejection notice is fine.

If paid but giving refunds to sites not accepted - it is a toss up - call it owners prerogative but I would lean towards an email telling them why it was rejected.

If paid where the fee is strictly for review with no refunds then the submitter is due a custom and specific explanation for the rejection. They paid for the review and they should get the results of that review in the rejection.

Only makes sense to me.

swedal, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  4. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never bothered writing rejection emails when I ran free directories. There were always hundreds or even thousands of sites awaiting review so why waste time sending notices to those that are rejected.

But I do notify the owners of rejected sites on my paid directories, usually in the memo attached to the paypal refund (ex. "English only sites accepted" or "this directory is for medical sites only" or whatever the issue is). I can't think of a good reason for a paid directory not to specify the reason for a rejection.

EveryQuery, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  5. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been working a simple mod that will let me choose one of the most common rejection reason using point and click. For free directories it will take too much effort to type a reason for every rejection.

jitendraag, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  6. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Totally. But am I right in thinking Yahoo Directory doesn't do this?

Obelia, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  7. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo would be the place to look or ask that one.

swedal, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  8. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Its a total waste of time to write Rejection emails. Infact in some FRee directory I owner, I never enabled Rejection email system.

Why waste your server resources to email someone if that submitter cannot even go through the submission guildlines or send a proper Free submission?

---

Paid rejection, Yes I think we can send custom rejection emails. Its a good way of personally telling someone why you have rejected that particular submission.

humm, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Most good directories have a simple set of guidelines to follow. If you are rejected, the thing to do is review those guidelines to see why you were rejected. Most directory owners do not have the time to do your work for you. Generally if there is a mis-spelling, typo in the URL, someone typed http://ww.site.com instead of "www" we will correct that for you. Its the big stuff like listing inappropriate sites in certain categories, listing spammy landing landing pages or MFA sites that have NO content what so ever. Listing URL's as the title, etc.. Things that are really obvious should need no further explanation.

Mia, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  10. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Except for my bid directory, I do not send out any emails.
    Waste of time and like someone mentioned, server resources.

I feel it is up to the site owner to always check to see if his site is in the directory or not.

iowadawg, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  11. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure about 90% of submissions to my niche directories are automated so I doubt the owners would give a shite what my responds was. Most of the time I would like it to be "will you just f*ck off!".

Astroman, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  12. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Astroman!
    Funny as hell and so truthful for most directory owners.

I wonder, if I did set up a rejection email that said that, if that would cut down on spam?

Doubt it....but probably worth a shot.

iowadawg, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  13. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    With my directories I currently don't send out rejection notices, although SBD Directory Software allows you to do it, for exactly the reasons mentioned in here. But after the discussion @ IVS forums I've decided to include a tick-box option for the most common rejection reasons in the next version.

I think DesertRose445 from the IVS forums summed it up nicely with the post on the 13th:
    We need to look for it from the other side of things. Some of the rejected websites are from genuine submitters - and perhaps they've disregarded the guidelines for whatever reasons. And in some cases - it may not be obvious to the submitter. I agree this might only be a small percentage, but it could be worth sending a specific email in the hope long-term that it cleans up some of the bad submissions. It may be beneficial in the short term too, if they take on the advise and resubmit.

If it's something quick and easy to do like a tickbox option, why not? I'm not overly conscious of server resources, but sending out emails isn't going to put that much pressure on it - unless this is something that's scarce for you.

Snowblind1, Aug 14, 2009 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  14. dsouza

dsouza Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for this post.

dsouza, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  15. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Submitters will argue with you for days over the value of their really crappy website filled with PPC advertising. Rejection notices for free submissions seems to facilitate the bickering and its very time consuming.

stoner3221, Aug 17, 2009 IP
    iowadawg likes this.
  16. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't tend to list a reason, but if the submitter then gets in touch via the contact form, I happily explain to them there.

mikey1090, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  17. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I send my notices from a noreply email. No need to worry about arguments. :p

Snowblind1, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  18. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a very good way to do it! LOL ;)

stoner3221, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  19. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I send out automated rejected notices if a submission is denied for a reason.

Ibn Juferi, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  20. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Whats customer support then? ;)

humm, Aug 18, 2009 IP