1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Why not allow a banned user to PM a Mod?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Brian1970, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    A small suggestion: it would be nice if a separate support helpdesk is created:cool:

NeoGen, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As I already noted, they're welcome to email me. I usually have several email addresses available through sites in my sig at any given time, which they should be able to view even when logged out. If they have a question, I try to answer. If they're just whining about a ban, I'll check the usernotes. If there's more than adequate evidence of a dupe or whatever, then the email is ignored. Otherwise I forward it (and any questions regarding the usernotes / ban reason) to the appropriate mod.

jhmattern, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  3. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I was incorrectly banned once (before I became a mod, obviously). I contacted a well known DP member through another forum and asked him to send a message to one of the mods on my behalf. The message got through, the mod saw the mistake, and I was unbanned. No need for a duplicate account to contact the mods. :)

buffalo, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  4. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Similar story for me, I had to ask someone who was on DP to help get me the contact info of a moderator (you can't view stuff when logged out), and eventually I got through and got help getting my account back.

What you need to do is ensure forum leaders are visible by guests with their profiles (cause when I was banned it wasn't visible at all).

Stroh, Aug 7, 2009 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  5. JBMedia

JBMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree on this suggestion. Sometimes, the Mods can be wrong. Everyone can be wrong at one point or another. And the power should not be abused.

JBMedia, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  6. ArmKaz

ArmKaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ive heard a couple of forums do a ban appeal forum for banned users. So basically when a user gets banned, the ban appeal forum shows only for them and they get only 1 topic to post about what went wrong or why they shouldn't make gotten banned, if the ban appeal is denied then they are banned forever. The forum should be made personal meaning it only displays their own topic. Easily done with vbulletin.

ArmKaz, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  7. RunCompanies

RunCompanies Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually why don't they just make a subform in this area and have a banned section only for those banned, and have some rules as to post one thread while you are banned and a mod will review your case, and lock it once it's done.

RunCompanies, Aug 8, 2009 IP
  8. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you're banned, you should do what buffy said.

I've had a few users IM me or Pm me at WHT to pass messages onto a moderator. It saves risking your account permanently.

peter_anderson, Aug 8, 2009 IP
  9. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Then everyone will start posting there.:D

Remember that those who are banned are banned due to a reason and not just for fun..:mad:

There is very less percentage(0.05% out of 100%) of those who are banned due to some mistake.:eek: And their cases are checked by mods and they come back as Buffalo and some other members did.

Remember if you are following the path of truth you are always safe. :)

So, actually there is no need of anything like this.

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Aug 8, 2009 IP
    sawz likes this.
  10. c4gamerz

c4gamerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just got banned yesterday but now i am unbanned again. It was really hard to contact mods but at last i was able to contact them on different forums and through a friend/client here. Thanks to moderation team for reconsidering their decision.

So that 0.0.5% was me lol but i totally agree with you that if you are following the path of truth you are always safe as i have experienced it myself yesterday lol

c4gamerz, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  11. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thats Good ! :D
    So, other members should also follow the path of truth to be safe always ! :)
    God (and Mods :)) also helps only when you are on the path of truth !

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  12. Fraz!

Fraz! Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This.

I don't agree with that made up stat. And it is not easy to contact a mod once you are banned.

What people are requesting here is a set system in place to contact MODS to present their case instead of having to go to another forum to find a dp member, and ask him to PM the Mod ... Or Go to a site in your sig, Jhmattern and find your contact info and then email you and so on...

What if a relatively new user, who doesn't have friends or clients or anyone to help him connect with the mods, gets banned? who should he go to then? You can't expect him to know that if he will go to the websites in Jhmattern's signature he will find his/her email id, and should email him/her his plea.?

Fraz!, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Maybe an email where mods can review it after they also send in $20 cash. lol That way we only end up with few people emailing. I sure don't want to read 10,000 people's crying about them being banned. I have better things to do with my life like set myself on fire.

digitalpoint, Aug 11, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  14. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you're banned, you're banned.
    Tough luck for breaking rules.

If banned users could PM admins and mods, their time would be spent dealing with that crap, rather than cleaning the forum. Would you rather that happened?

peter_anderson, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  15. Fraz!

Fraz! Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True.
    The number of red user names i see everyday is staggering.
    And i assume that everyone is 'Not guilty' and 'So Sorry' and 'Have to feed their Family, as their Fathers died when they were two years old'.

No, seriously. This could work out. A 10$-20$ Fee for a Ban Plea which would be returned if the decision is reversed, or something of that sort. Only genuine people who really think their case has potential would come forward. But there are many possible abuse of this system, and more problematic, the accusations that would arise, like Mods Ban people just to make some dough on the Bail Plea System etc. And it would be tiring.

I don't know how the moderating system works here on DP, i mean if they are just volunteers or are paid.[ You don't have to tell me that, and i am not asking] But I think if you folks open a sub forum for Banned people where they could post their 'case', you could find some volunteers to MOD that. And to prevent crap requests, there could be a system of more ban time for those whose cases are not valid.

You know what? The more i think, the more i move against the motion.
    The site is running fine. Everyone is happy. And the Harsh/Strict Mods some how scare the people against any possible exploitation of the grey areas of the DP rule book.
    All i can say now is that MODs should be a little... i don't know.... careful maybe, and don't abuse their power.
    And i don't mean this as Bossy Advice, but as a healthy suggestion.

Fraz!, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  16. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    You may have meant that humorously, but I think you're really on to something there...

It's certainly more sensible than the current "track down a moderators email address by visiting their web sites" methodology.

Will.Spencer, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    CountryBoy likes this.
  17. musichangout.com

musichangout.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i think you must select few dp users and keep them as volunteers who listen to banned people .

musichangout.com, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  18. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yup good suggestion may be that would work and stop people of making duplicate accounts.

wildogre, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  19. DarylR

DarylR Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes I think this is a great idea and should definately be implemented.

I've been banned on forums before for no reason and this is just an easy solution to sorting it out.

DarylR, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  20. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    Better just to charge everyone $20 membership to join DP...and that way we'll only have problems with the rich dupes.

TikTok, Aug 16, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.