1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Why not allow a banned user to PM a Mod?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Brian1970, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Why not allow a banned user to PM a Mod?

How many times have members been banned from DP for creating a duplicate account to PM a mod? Allowing a banned member to send PMs would stop this happening.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Aug 6, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi, it career and JoyGoRound like this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah maybe... not getting banned in the first place would prevent it too though. :)

digitalpoint, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  3. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:

Sure, but there are many times where clearly the MOD was wrong. Having a feedback forum or process to at least communicate with the staff seems like a reasonable request.

I have just seen too many people Banned incorrectly, for recommending something via a link and not promoting their own affiliate product or anything of the like.

(I have also seen people, publically say "hey I had to create a new account so that I can ask you to look at why I was incorrectly banned, I have no desire to circumvent the rules, but this is the only way I can communicate with the mods and receive a response"). What's the response generally "Well we don't feel like dealing with you, 'we have rules against creating a second account'" Your double banned. It just doesn't seem like a good way to promote a healthy forum.

Imbo, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  4. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is a good idea.

it career, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  5. Katy

Katy Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    First of all members have to agree that this is the only account they will have when they join the forums. If they just click "agree" without reading the rules when they join, it's not our problem. Second of all I can imagine how many PMs we would get a day from banned members complaining about their ban even if they were clearly breaking the rules.

Katy, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, that was my second thought... who's going to volunteer to listen to the stories about they are sorry for creating a duplicate account and shilling with it and giving themselves fake iTraders, but they need to feed their family because their father died when they were 2 years old... (I get a lot of those)

Blogmaster likes this.
  7. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How about this "Banned member can PM a moderator once per week" ?

it career, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  8. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    I have no doubt you get a lot of people that father beat them, and for the rest of their life society should give them a break or "society unfairly judges them or persecutes them". I have dealt with it in business, and it's not only annoying but you begin to phase it out. I no longer listen to the sob stories of "I only have $100 in my account and I cannot use my left leg and get a job" I promise I'll pay you next month when I get my disability check.

Or the best one, I had a client that owed $20,000 and wanted my company just to forgive the debt. Because he worked their before, and knew some people and was a nice guy.

But that wasn't the main issue I was bringing up, the people that create accounts for abuse. The best thing to do is send a scripted reply "No lucky buddy" and with the idea of 1 reply per week, I think this would be very easy to do, especially if it's a one click button. However, the main reason I was getting at was the people that are banned and it clearly was an error on behalf of the mod. Such as that he felt he was promoting an affiliate product, when he said. Oh yeah, a great search engine tool is XYZ search, you can find it at www. xyz search (dot) com.

PS: Glad your taking a interest in the forum and direction Shawn. I know you were sort of remise around here for awhile. Best of luck to you

This seems like a perfect, logical idea that would certainly cut down on abuse but allow people to respond if they believe they were unfairly banned. I am not sure if this is something possible with the forum software, but I am sure a feedback support package could be tailored so that only 1 response per week could be sent.

Imbo, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  9. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You’re missing my point, I know of one person that waited over a year to get his account back that was hacked. He had to create an account to PM Shawn to inform him of the problem. I’m not advocating the use of duplicate accounts, just suggesting that banned members could PM a Mod when banned would prevent the need to create a new account.

@it career: That would be a good way of working it.

Thanks Brian

10. marshalprince

marshalprince Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't know what a member can do if he\she got banned from here. Is there any way besides making another one to contact or can know the reason of banning.

Also I want to know if there is a company where 5 members need to use DP then should they not create 5 accounts as IP of that company will be same offcourse?

marshalprince, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  11. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can have a number of users with the same IP as long as you stay out of each other’s threads and don’t exchange Itraders, I believe you would need to inform the Mods before creating the accounts.

Thanks Brian

12. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Once per week ???? For what ????

DON.

deluxdon, Aug 6, 2009 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  13. blog8491

blog8491 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mentioned about permanent banned for multiple account holders, I think DP don't need them again, because they braked the biggest rule at DP. Anyway sometime MOD can do a mistake, I also suggest at least an email like to contact when a person who got incorrect banned. This is an idea!

Thanks
    Blog.

blog8491, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  14. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don,

I’m sure you remember Choice and his year ban for having his account hacked, if he could have messaged a Mod he would have had the problem solved without making a new account.

If a banned member abused the use of PMing a mod, then simply remove that option for the said user.

Thanks Brian

15. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone's account gets banned if we have reason to believe it's been hacked. The reason it was so long was that there was no admin able to deal with it, and mods had no ability to revert account information back to someone. Those kinds of bans are for the protection of everyone - to prevent other members getting scammed by the hacker.

As for the innocence issue, it's true that sometimes mistakes are made. And in those cases, if there's any doubt we have multiple mods look at it to come to an agreement. It's not as if no one's ever gotten a mistake corrected. The problem is that the majority of people either think they're innocent when they're not, flat out lie about it (they'll swear up and down that they did nothing wrong even if we have a dozen indisputable points tying two accounts together), or feel they should be the exception to the rules. Plenty of people manage to find ways to contact us just fine - it's really not hard (just look at our sigs - several mods have email addresses publicly available, and in my case at least they're welcome to email me). I've even had several people track down my home phone number and call (although I can tell you that you won't like the response you get if you pull that). If they have a real case and they're that determined, they can contact us. Setting up a dupe account is only what they do if they're too lazy to look.

I'd also be concerned about banned members being able to PM us, because it opens things up to more mod shopping than we already deal with (daddy said no so we'll run and ask mommy kind of bs). We don't tolerate it, and we don't need people trying to pit mods against each other just because A) it's easier to do and B) they've got nothing left to lose, so they figure why not?

jhmattern, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  16. marshalprince

marshalprince Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for replying back. I just want to know what they should do now as they are using it for a long time but never posted in each other thread nor exchanged Itrader ever even then one got banned 3nearly 2-3 months before saynig dublicate account. And he had never done anything wrong as he says. Then?

marshalprince, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  17. pigpromoter

pigpromoter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How about setting up a dedicated section in the forum that can be accessed by banned members where they can state their point? Or put up an email address like beenbanned@digitalpoint for such appeals?

pigpromoter, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Would be more inclined to setup an email for "appeals" that just automatically deletes (send to /dev/null ) when someone emails it.

19. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This post might help you.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=12151976&postcount=3

Thanks for taking the time to explain your reason for not implementing my suggestion.

Thanks Brian

20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    What is your preferred method for a member to do that?

Will.Spencer, Aug 7, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.