1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Kontera and AdSense is not allowed! Joel Comm lies to sell!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Sohan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe those large sites are premium publishers.

chachacallis, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Friend likes this.
  2. Sohan

Sohan Peon

Best Answers:
    If they were, they would of removed the Ads by Goooooogle thing.

Sohan, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  3. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way I contacted Google and asked them directly. The response was not suprising, to me at least. Kontera and Intellitext ads can not be displayed on the same page as Adsense ads.

Anyone thinking of displaying both should contact Google directly and ask them for verification.

At this point I would have to consider anyone telling people they can display both on the same page as a normal publisher to be providing extremely bad advice and advice that could jeopardize your ability to use the Adsense program.

aeiouy, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  4. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    After reading this thread, am very curious to know if both can be on same page.
    Myself, I would say that if Joel says it is okay, it probably is okay.

Anyways, I never really looked at Kontera, but just finished reading everything on their site and then joined.

iowadawg, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  5. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google responded to my email, and even after I pointed it out that Comm and others were using IntelliTXT/Kontera with Adsense on their site, they still told me it was not allowed. Let's see if Comm keeps Kontera on his site in the linked site...

jackburton2006, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  6. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe premium publishers are allowed?
    Thats all i can think of..

longroad, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  7. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Are they premium publishers though?

Dekker, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  8. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know for certain that the sites I pointed out to Adsense are not premium publishers. We'll see if they act on it...

jackburton2006, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  9. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah when I asked them I pointed them to this as thread about the discussion. They clearly and eloquently said no.

So far I have seen multiple people say they have letters saying it is not okay and Joel Comm saying it is okay.

So I would like to see Joel Comm produce some evidence that what he is telling people is true. Since he puts himself in position of authority and guidance he is bordering on gross negiligence if he is wrong.

I don't care either way than having it cleared up. I have proof that it is not okay, so if someone is going to contradict that, they are going to have to offer up proof as well.

I could stab someone right in front of you, but that does not mean murder is legal.

aeiouy, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  10. Gecko212

Gecko212 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im glad I found this discussion!

Im in the same boat as most of you, still trying to figure out if its allowed or not.

Some pretty huge sites run Intellitxt/Contentlink and adsense, and have been doing so for a very long time.

Is Adsense ignoring them all?

Gecko212, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  11. Friend

Friend Peon

Best Answers:
    because of this thread we will expect warning mails from adsense to those publishers using adsnese + (Kontera or intellitxt)

Friend, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  12. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Joel Comm you clown! :p

[​IMG]

Dekker, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  13. jcomm

jcomm Peon

Best Answers:
    Clever, but I'm not that cute!

Ok, I have gone back and forth with Google several times, explaining the confusing replies they have given in the past, and have been posted on AdSenseChat.com.

After defining all terms clearly, and explaing the difference between Kontera TextMatch and Kontera AdLinks (now known as Content Link), they are now saying that they are not denying compatibility based on the ads "mimicking" AdSense ads, but because the service is also contextual.

So, the final word from Google seems to have finally been laid down... and that is that Kontera and AdSense are NOT acceptable on the same pages.

I've not yet heard of a publisher who has encountered termination or suspension because of this, and I have been very public with the ads on my site, yet have never heard as much as a peep from Google about them.

They don't make much, but it's just another revenue stream. The ads have now been removed from the site and I will be making it clear on my forums that Google appears to have laid down the law.

It will be interesting to see what happens as YPN gets their act together, and MSN (eventually) gets in the game.

The face of the web is changing rapidly and people are going to be forced to choose. Think of the implications this could have on which sites go with which ad service, and how their choice might affect their search engine optimization. It's creepy and fascinating, all at the same time.

Joel

jcomm, Aug 4, 2006 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  14. jcomm

jcomm Peon

Best Answers:
    According to my experience, I would say "yes". Though I'm not entirely sure why.

It's kind of like the fact that Google has not included placing borders around ads to set them off from images in their TOS, yet if you ask them, they will ask you to do so.

Funny that I just spotted an AdSense leaderboard ad that had a thumbnail image to the left of the ads. It appears they are testing this themselves...

Joel

jcomm, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  15. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    They're a bit hypocritical..

Dekker, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  16. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, so it does, in fact, appear to be a case of, "See no evil, hear no evil" when it comes to this...

jackburton2006, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  17. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for clarifying and sharing your experiences.

aeiouy, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  18. kovacs

kovacs Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting. I was actually contacted by a Kontera rep back in March. He said he had worked for Google and there was absolutely no problem displaying Kontera ads on the same pages as Adsense.

However, after two months I never heard from him again. Kontera fails to respond to any of my e-mails. They did send me a check (although below my payout treshold which means most goes to bank charges).

I', probably going to kick them out...they are not very professional IMHO. And I'm not going to risk my Adsense account on them.

kovacs, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  19. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Joel would not lie or cheat anyone.
    He went to the source and found out the truth of the matter and notice, he posted it here.

So please be careful in the future when you label someone a liar or a cheat.

iowadawg, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  20. kovacs

kovacs Peon

Best Answers:
    Joel may not lie or cheat. But why would the Kontera rep I talked to say that Kontera could be displayed with Google ads? He *even* said that I could click on any links I wanted (which is in fact a direct violation of Kontera's TOS).

I wonder what happened...maybe he was an agent from Google trying to mess upp Kontera... :D

kovacs, Aug 4, 2006 IP