1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by acitodg, Aug 3, 2009.

Hi,

I have a site that I submitted to dmoz about a year ago. I resubmitted it a week or so ago before I read here that you shouldn't do that (whoops). From the time I have submitted my site until now my site has become somewhat of a big site in the category of computer help. My site is very good and ranked higher than many of the other sites already listed in the category. I submitted to (http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/FAQs,_Help,_and_Tutorials/). I am in the top 10 or at least top 20 for many competitive terms in google. I know the main guideline is to have a good site with unique content. I suspect the problem is that the category I submitted to does not have an editor. Do I have a chance since this category does not have an editor? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for any tips.

acitodg, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    THere is nothing more you can do... keywords, serp, page rank, backlinks, etc, etc, have NOTHING to do with dmoz whatsoever so none of those will effect your listing. They say that UNIQUE CONTENT is the only true criteria, but then they add in syndicated content affiliated with staff, but *shrug* that's not for this topic ;)

The best you can do for yourself is to continue to do exactly what you've been doing along (minus the resubmitting). You may or may not ever get a listing in the ODP, but then, from your post you don't really need it, and it likely wont do you any more good then you are currently doing.

Qryztufre, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  3. acitodg

acitodg Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Q!

It is too bad since I think my site is better (and so does Google) than many of the other sites already listed. Hopefully someday the editors will see it and approve it.

acitodg, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    You could apply to be an editor. :)

crowbar, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  5. acitodg

acitodg Member

Best Answers:
    That is true. It would be a bit weird to try to edit the category I am trying to get a site into. Do you think they would accept me as editor knowing that?

acitodg, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  6. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the 3 example sites I used when I first became an editor was my own business site, and it belonged in the category I applied for. I was accepted within two days. I no longer have any sites, but I'm still an editor.

I made it very clear that it was my own site in the application.

Just follow the instructions in the application form, be totally honest, and if you are denied, and any advice is given to you, follow it and reapply.

Keep a copy of your first application for reference.

Hopefully, you wouldn't become an editor for that reason only, but would add other sites and help us grow the Directory.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    crowbar, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  7. acitodg

acitodg Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks crowbar! I applied and hopefully I hear back soon.

acitodg, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  8. vitalous

vitalous Guest

Best Answers:
    That's assuming you get one that actually can see. Most of them are either too blind or stubborn.
    The ODP is now so loaded with garbage and out-of-date sites that I'd rather got to About and put up with their ads.

I also don't think a listing there does much for PR anymore.

John

vitalous, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  9. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hahahahahaha :D

That will be the first and only time you will get feedback from DMOZ. They will email you to reject your application.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    caprichoso, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's odd, we seem to get new editors daily. It's very easy to get accepted, you just need to follow instructions and be honest, as all of our new editors have done.

Metas only totally reject the dishonest ones, or ones who don't have the ability to follow direction, it's certainly not anything personal. Even current editors get rejected for new categories they apply for. Every one of us have had that happen, it's nothing unusual.

The difference is that we know enough to accept the advice that's given to us, and follow it.

As far as any other kind of feedback, you're right. In most cases, anything you need to know is contained in our guidelines:
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/

And as we're not a "listing service", once you've "suggested" a site for consideration, no further contact is neccessary, we owe you no explanation or update. There's only two possible outcomes, we either find your site worth listing (in which case you'll see it appear in the Directory and contact isn't neccessary), or it's one we don't need or want (and discussion isn't going to change that, so again, contact is unneccessary).

Personally, if someone contacts me politely with an inquiry, I'll usually respond politely, just as a courtesy, but what I'll tell them is the same thing I'd tell them here in an open forum. That there are a lot of site suggestions, and it wouldn't be fair to others to give them any special treatment, as far as reviewing their particular suggestion.

I've got over 100,000 site suggestions I could review, if I wanted to look at any of them, choosing which one is always a very random thing.

Staying objective and impartial as an editor is a state of mind that we have to maintain, whether in private or in public.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    crowbar, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  11. acitodg

acitodg Member

Best Answers:
    No luck on becoming an editor. I tried twice. I received a comment in the first rejection email. I fixed exactly what needed to be fixed and then got a 2nd rejection email, but this time with no reason. Oh well.

acitodg, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  12. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    Acid, if you read Res...Zone.com forum you'll find a lot of people who applied for editor and got the same. A couple of rejection emails and at some point nothing further.
    Of course, when your read the last crowbar's post, approved DMOZ-editors seem to be popping up all across the world. But all I read about is people getting rejected.

:confused:

caprichoso, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  13. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm not a meta editor, nor do I have any desire to be one, but I do know that they don't turn down applicants for no reason. It's nothing personal, they have a responsibility to the directory and the editing community to use their best judgement in selecting new editors, and they probably don't have a lot of information to work with.

They've always treated me very fairly and respectfully, even when I've disagreed with them and gotten, perhaps, a bit obnoxious. That's one thing people don't understand about the editing community, whether you're a meta editor or a new editor, all have a voice in things, and everyone can state their view. There are no "bosses", just a group of people with various levels of experience and responsibilities.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    crowbar, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  14. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    Let's be honest here, please.
    How many new editors were approved in this month?
    Is there any way to know how they are and which categories they have access to?

As I already wrote in other thread I read a lot about people getting rejected. I am willing to give DMOZ the chance to be clear about it and show us were all those new editors are.

In the mean time, all I know is DMOZ needs a bunch of new editors and meta-editors are not willing to accept editor applications.

15. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok let's be honest.

I could go look, but I believe that information would be considered proprietary information that I have no right to give out, and to be perfectly honest, it's none of your business.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how they are", but yes, editors know what categories other editors edit in. Who the new editors are and where they edit is not something you would need to know.

Wow, that's really big of you, but to be perfectly honest again, that's not really any of your business, nor will contacting a new editor get your site listed (if that's what you had in mind).;)

Then who are we talking to in our New Editors forums? Ourselves?

If you want to know what it's like inside, then become an editor, otherwise, it's really none of your business, and we most certainly owe you no explanations. What were you thinking? :D

crowbar, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  16. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    In a previous post you said "we seem to get new editors daily", but now you are not sure about how many editors were approved this month. Let alone you (conveniently) aren't going to tell us because it is non of our business.

Become an editor? Are you out of your mind? :)

If you don't owe me (nor us) any explanations. Why are you answering in this thread one message after another?

17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats because the majority of people that are rejected when they apply to be an editor are unhappy, whinge and moan. The ones that are accepted are happy, dont complain and dont feel the need to come into forums and advertise that they have been accepted.

Simple fact of life :)

snooks, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Mainly to correct the type of misinformation that you've been handing out, but also (just like yourself) because I choose to. When I edit, I also do so because I choose to, instead of doing some other task that I enjoy.

There are some really decent people who read these forums, but might not ever comment. Those people deserve truthful information by people who actually know, instead of speculation by people who don't.

crowbar, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  19. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    It has to be really difficult to correct misinformation without inform us at all. Because, in the end, it's none of our business.

DMOZ is organized against common sense and specially against internet common practices. When you ask editors why it's so, they start spinning around repeating a couple of phrases. You never get a straight answer able to explain reasonably what you're asking.

I started a thread in res...zone.com asking what's the point of not being able to know about submission status (in an automated way). Editors' responses were pathetic. You can read it here: http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54096

caprichoso, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the ODP.

Qryztufre, Aug 11, 2009 IP