1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AOL is now FREE

Discussion in 'General Business' started by kevinn, Aug 3, 2006.

kevinn, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  2. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm you mean we can now get the misery of AO 'hell for free now.

The article said if you left Ao hell in the last 2 years you can get your old account back as well.

What makes me laugh that later in the article its states that sales will start to grow in 2009. Pfft ok - really to late.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... Way to go AO Hell

lpstong, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  3. xtreme fever

xtreme fever Active Member

Best Answers:
    i know i read this a few weeks ago. now all they have to do next is stop sending their aol cds in the mail.

xtreme fever, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  4. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I use the cd's for a palette for my paints.

lpstong, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I have to admit, I still pay for it. :( So I'm really glad to hear this. I don't actually use them much at all... I just had so much email stored up there and not any time to transfer everything elsewhere. So I'm glad I won't be paying for email storage anymore. :)

jhmattern, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  6. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, aol stinks, I remember when I had AOL version 2.0 or something like that, those were the good ol days.

kevinn, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  7. dastuff

dastuff Peon

Best Answers:
    I always hated aol... That's why I switched when I heard of roadrunner like years ago..

Best move I ever made...

Cheers to AOL going down :p

dastuff, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  8. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not a bad idea, instead of paying for the service they hope to make up for it in advertising revenue.

soniqhost.com, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  9. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear AOL Member,

I want to let you know about some exciting changes happening at AOL. Our service has always provided both a way to connect to the Web and an entertaining online destination once you're connected.

Today we are announcing that AOL's software, email, and many compelling AOL features -- including your Address Book, Screen Name, the Buddy List® feature and more -- will be free to everyone with an Internet connection.

What Does This Mean for You?

Nothing about your service arrangement with us will change unless you want it to. Your current plan, which includes 24/7 customer support, unlimited email storage, your email addresses and all the AOL content and services you rely on, will still be there for you.

Even if you choose a different high-speed provider from the one you use to connect to the Internet today:
    You can keep your AOL Screen Name and email address for as long as you want to use it, completely free;
    You can continue to use your AOL software, and you can still get all your favorite features and content, completely free;
    You will still get the most comprehensive free set of safety and security tools available, plus world-class, high-speed content like video, music and more.
    All of this is free, no matter who provides your Internet connection.

Why Is AOL Doing This?

We're simply changing with the times. There are many options for Internet access, whether it's dial-up or broadband. At the same time, a lot of online content and services are now available on the Web free of charge because they are supported by advertising. So, while your Internet connectivity needs may change over time, what you love about the Web does not. We are now able to ensure that the familiar AOL experience, your Screen Name, your Address Book, your Buddy List, your Favorite Places, and other content and features you enjoy, will always be available to you for free.

In September, you will be hearing about more changes and other new features at AOL. Until then, you can visit AOL Keyword: New AOL for more information and to sign up for informative email alerts.

Sincerely,

Jon Miller
    Chairman and CEO
    AOL LLC

factchecker, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  10. colonel99

colonel99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear AOL Member,

Blah, blah blah.

Why Is AOL Doing This?

Several years ago, we became irrelevant, and we are just now waking up from a coma. We have a very, very bad headache, and we don't have the energy to keep trying to trick people out of their money.

Don't worry, though. We still have hulking, cumbersome software that will slow your computer down substantially, and your teenage daughter will continue to load it even after you've uninstalled it several times.

And don't worry about our business model. We're adding a "Donate" button to our homepage.

Sincerely,

Jon Miller
    Chairman and CEO
    AOL LLC

colonel99, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  11. Hexane

Hexane Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh man AOL. You're so big and so powerful. But your managment is atrocious. Atrocious! I always thought AOL had a terrible promotion and marketing department. The campaign with free hours was a runaway disaster in the longterm and now they have come to this. Instead of investing the money in improving their product and concentrating on specific niches they went on spammin with their CD campaign. (They did have a funny commercial in there somewhere though, the one with a fish made entirely from the AOL CDs).

Best bet right now would be to give up on the the general market and start moving into niches. AIM is a great cash cow, considering how every teen and young person in america is using it. Advertising through it probably gets them more revenue than all their subscriptions combined.

I think free internet is a desperate stroke of a drowning man. Let it go AOL and concentrate on places where you can really do well.

Hexane, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe you need the software for the new version or whatever the heck it is.

13. Jelf

Jelf Banned

Best Answers:
    thats awesome!

Jelf, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  14. colonel99

colonel99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I don't know...I guess whatever AOL's offering to the teenys is what I'm talking about. My teenage daughter keeps installing the full-blown AIM crap on her laptop, and it takes more memory than all of her other programs (including Nortons & MS Office) put together. And it installs multiple applications simultaneously, so Uninstall takes 30 minutes. Brother. Then she complains "My computer's sloooow againnnn...Can you fix it?"

colonel99, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    AIM is just the messenger isn't it? I know the full aol software slows everything down, but I haven't had a problem since removing it and just using aim. I just wish there was a way to get rid of the safety and security center (I can't figure out how at least), because it slows down my usually fast startup all the time, and I just find it obnoxious. I do think it's included w/ the free thing too though which is a bummer.

16. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody.

Read the fine print:

This service plan provides unlimited usage of AOL over a high-speed broadband or dial-up internet connection purchased separately from another company. This plan does not include internet access or live customer service. AOL premium services, which may be subscribed to separately, are subject to charges.

mike323, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  17. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Someone already mentioned it wasn't Internet access... but over a broadband connection. ;) It's still $9.95 or something if you want dial-up through them. A heck of a lot better than their old rates nonetheless. In my case it's just about not losing access to my old email. I don't expect a ton of new people are suddenly going to rush to AOL. It's just a good move for them to avoid losing too many more.

Jenn

jhmattern, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  18. redz

redz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the cd's i got from em i threw out my window , they fly pretty cool :).

redz, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  19. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I already stated that on the first post.

kevinn, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  20. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh. nevermind.:D

mike323, Aug 4, 2006 IP