1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BST Section Behaving Weird

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Spider Man, Jul 31, 2009.

1. danstrog

danstrog Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, I'd pay for a thread to be "sticky".

danstrog, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  2. teampower

teampower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the should make BST a paid section. $5 or $10 per threads This will drastically reduce the number of spams.

teampower, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  3. danstrog

danstrog Member

Best Answers:
    Only for providers though.

danstrog, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  4. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, so where to find customers when my thread is on page 6 or lower? SPAM in other sections to draw attention to my signature? Come on!

You gave rise to new type of spammers, who will make duplicate threads all the time. (Don't tell me you catch those guys, I am seeing a single guy who is making hell of duplicate threads in BST, and never got banned)

I see mods are thinking one sided only, keep the mind open to both sides please. If you couldn't get rid of BUMPers, then you won't get rid of duplicate thread openers, and you really don't do, so obvious.

Best of luck to BST with this new change...

BTW, I am in favor of making BST a paid section, but no "paid sticky threads" please!

patelsagar, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  5. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Paid sticky isnt a good idea think if many people buy this first 2 pages may just be of stick what wuld happen of the other threads not a single view ?

Bohra, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  6. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    TikTok, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  7. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what all do. I learned to reply as such ONLY by looking at DP forum, no where else :)

Also, I thought that publicizing a deal can help me out as a proof when someone scams me. I didn't know that it's a serious BUMPING I was doing. Sorry for that...

patelsagar, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  8. clashctyrokr

clashctyrokr Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think a better solution would be to get some new moderators. Give them limited power, but the ability to give out 7-day bans. Then, set them lose on the BST section, with instructions to ban any thread bumpers.
    Hell, even I'd be willing to do it. Those people who post "PM sent" all day long drive me crazy.

Just my $0.02

clashctyrokr, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's easier to find duplicate threads than bumps, because there are far less of them (naturally there can only be one duplicate per thread, which we can usually catch just by browsing the thread lists, as opposed to having to open each thread and scan page after page getting rid of all of the bumps).

For ages the BST section was a seller's market. Now it's more of a buyer's market. Will.Spencer made a good point in the other thread here, in that you don't see buyers complaining the way sellers are. The fact that things change don't mean it's one-sided (you could as easily argue we were one-sided and biased towards sellers previously). It means you learn to adapt. Adapt or die is pretty typical in business. Conditions always change, and that's especially true when you rely on third party sites / services (like DP in this case).

jhmattern, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  10. daremkd

daremkd Peon

Best Answers:
    the wars have started is all I can say this is much like that change digg.com implemented with their toolbar fighting all the linkbaiters

but this is going to be the next craigslist soon... count on it and no mod can stop that some people here have deep pockets to advertise and now post count - itrader and all the no longer matter so much ...hehehehehe certainly no one can really find the reviews no more... they scattered al over the place

duplicate threads? when is the image ads coming?...LOL

u just put urself in a tricky position sadly and against everyones(sellers AND BUYERS ) will

daremkd, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  11. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why there will be just one duplicate thread? Although I don't like to be blackhat person, let's assume that, I have 10 team members from different IP address and different usernames here. Now what I can do is to open similar service by all 10 members and by me (so total 11 threads), each thread opened one by one after a good interval. And what I would see is increase in visibility of my service, via inappropriate method, even after this latest change.

While if I try similar trick to old type of thread listing, I won't have much luck without Good reviews BUMPing my thread. So new system doesn't get rid of spams, anyway.

I also don't see what benefit is there for buyers by this new rule. If you think that buyers would search for what they need, then where's the need of changing thread listing? Search option was there before too :) Buyers can differentiate between review-BUMPs and self-BUMPs, IMHO.

Regarding what Will.Spancer said, he missed a point. I replied him in that thread.

patelsagar, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  12. sadekjake

sadekjake Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if the new system works well and results in lower number of spams, we will greatly appreciate it. I also think that sellers should develop new strategies to adapt to the changes.

However, if the new system does not work well or gets worse, I hope that you will rethink your decision. Lets see for the next few weeks.

sadekjake, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    patel, when I said "one" I was speaking in terms of threads vs posts. Each thread can only have a single violation, which is much easier to catch and deal with than the page after page after page of bumps we can have in a single thread. If you knew how long it takes us to deal with just one thread like that, you'd understand why duplicate threads will be easier to moderate. If they post many of the same threads to get around the rules, it'll be a really quick ban. And anyone who cares enough about using BST to make money isn't looking to end up banned for months (or permanently if they and their employees are shilling, posting duplicates, and essentially acting as a single entity like duplicate accounts).

jhmattern, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  14. foreclosureking

foreclosureking Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the BST services section is not working. If you look at it, there's only the same type new threads there and none of the have no post or very low post count on them.

A service buyer can't see any of the most used services because they're all buried, thus making that section pretty useless.

Unfortunately, when people post on a thread is causes a bump but it also shows interest from legitimate buyers who look to DP for valuable services for SEO, internet marketing and other internet related resources, which is why we are all here. That's what attracted most of us to DP in the first place.

Just my opinion as a seller on the site, and I also would not be oppose to paying a fee to start a thread in the BST section. But ultimately, there is a better to way to have balance.

foreclosureking, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Really? And I thought it was because it was free. Silly me.

If buyers specifically want to search for sellers in the way you mention, they have that ability. They can set their thread order that way if they want to. In the meantime, other buyers aren't subjected to the spammy BS bumps burying legitimate new offers (if they want only older ones, they can always search specifically for that). If legitimate bumps were the real reason threads got pushed to the top most of the time, there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. But they're far from the majority.

jhmattern, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  16. foreclosureking

Best Answers:
    See and that's why there are so many beefs with mods here. All internet marketing forums are free.

DP has plenty competition to choose from these days and it's all free.

But what you're missing is that most of the users here are not people who dwell on forums all day like you.

Most don't even know how to use the search function or the itrader or a bump or reputation or set their thread order....should I go on?

You're missing the point while trying to insult me. If you've even been a seller on on a forum or anywhere else in the universe then you'd know that people buy what they can see....that's why we have television ads, newspaper ads, banner ads, radio ads and so on.

Just think, how would you know to search for something that you don't even know exist?

I run an SEO service and most people only find out how backlinks help their sites rank better after they have been educated on a few SEO facts which are explained on my thread......so how are they to search for that again?

Lastly, in case you haven't noticed, DP is mostly populated with newbies, once again, who come to DP because they can learn how to become internet marketers and having services that compliment the education learned here is also why people come here. ( NOT JUST BECAUSE IT'S FREE )

Just look at the percentage of users are usually in the BST section, it's usually somewhere around 50% or higher. That should tell you something.

FYI: Did you know that most successful businesses are successful because they listen to what the clients, customers and vendors have to say, but this is all just from the peanut gallery....do what you want with that.

Have a good day :)

17. hdwills

hdwills Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How about creating a separate "Sell" section and make it a paid one. One have to pay to post their offerings in it.

I think that should take care of most scammers. If you are not sure of your product you simply will not be spending money upfront to advertise it.

hdwills, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  18. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    @foreclosureking, if the moderators were able to fully shut down bumpers (such as yourself), threads would still be in roughly the same position, and members who bump (such as yourself) would be looking in from the outside for 3-6 months, serving out their rightful bans.

You might be losing money because you're not able to bump your thread to the top of the page every morning, but other businessmen might be making more money now because their threads aren't being pushed down by the bumpers (such as yourself).

TikTok, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  19. Radz

Radz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have an idea, Auto Close Threads in BST Section after 7 days :rolleyes:

Radz, Aug 4, 2009 IP
    Refresher, goscript and Moses8595 like this.
  20. foreclosureking

Best Answers:
    Once again, you guys just don't get it. Always with the sharp tongue.

We do quite well without DP for your info and while you call me a bumper I consider what I did...keeping my thread followers abreast of what's going on with their orders so they don't have to keep PM'ing us about when orders would be completed.

So, I make no apology for that but you say I'm a bumper ok. And I've already paid the price for that.

And I love your presumption "other businessmen might be making more money now because their threads aren't being pushed down by the bumpers "

You obviously haven't a clue about business, take a look at that section yourself and what do you see?

Like I keep saying over and over and you mod guys don't get it. Maybe it's because you have never had a business or that this is NOT your forum, that you can't understand.

And this aint about the businessmen here....Look at the quality of threads that are there now.

This is not just about me....I didn't start this thread ya know, and I'm sure I won't be the last to comment here ( Unless you close the thread) I never said that there shouldn't be something done about spammers bumping, I clearly stated that there is a better way to have balance.

But you guys either come back with smart retaliating comments or some other unwell thought out response that neither takes into consideration what points were made nor anything that would rectify the current situation.

How and why did you become a mod again?

I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you, I'm just stating the obvious.

P.S. I bet If you took a poll with the members here you'd find out that what I'd stated is valid.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    JoyGoRound likes this.