1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords India gone mad

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by jitendraag, Jul 30, 2009.

As many of you know rules for using credit cards online in India are changing from tomorrow (1st Aug). People will be required to give a PIN and will have to explicitly ask for allowing Internet transactions on their cards.

As a 'security' step this is what Google is asking me as an adwords customer:

3. Attach a copy of the front and back of your credit card

Yes, among other things they want to provide someone an easy way to get all the details required to carry out an online transaction. Are they out of their minds?

Has anyone else got this email? How will they ensure that the courier I send to them won't be opened by unauthorized person. How will they make sure my credit card details are 'physically safe'. It's a different thing asking for credit card number and cvv online on a secure connection but this 'offline' method definitely has the most changes of security breach.

What do others say about it? What are you going to do about it? I am thinking if I switch to a pre-paid mode for Adwords.

jitendraag, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  2. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I received this mail too. I would never send someone a xerox copy
    of my credit card. Instead they could ask us to give instructions to our bank.
    members..please don't send a xerox copy of your credit cards to some company
    be it google or microsoft.

vic_msn, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  3. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When I did my first transaction on futurebazaar I was asked to send the same details (2 years ago), when I refused they promptly shipped the good. I wonder if Google will be so desperate for business.

jitendraag, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  4. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Follow Vic's advice. NEVER send a photocopy of credit card to anyone. I doubt Google would ask you to do that so I think it's a scam.

Lucid Web Marketing, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  5. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    Well the address is Google's address so I doubt it's a scam.

6. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is lots of fraud from that area - adwords is probably trying to protect themselves.. it sucks but that is life :(

ChrisBa, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  7. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    They may be trying to protect themselves but asking for a front and back copy of the card is plain outright foolish. What alternatives are others taking now? I am sure there are many in India who use Adwords.

8. prashantban

prashantban Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wat....??????? i did'nt recieve such mail.. it will be easy to carry any transactions now... are they out of their mind.....?? wat is dis..?

prashantban, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  9. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I received this mail too and I verified that it is from google.
    And the address they gave to send out the xerox copy is also Google office address in bangalore.
    Better register for that verifiedby visa or mastercard's securecard feature
    and create a password for your credit card.
    The back of your credit card contains CVV number its used for online transaction.
    But since RBI has introduced a new security feature..like requiring a password
    each time for online transactions..I think some one might not actually use your info for online frauds..but they could very well prepare a plastic card with your card details..its up to you...research well.and contact adwords support before taking a photocopy..
    and one more tip..don't go to a xerox shop to take photocopy of your CC..
    if you have scanner/copier at home use it..hope you understand ;)

vic_msn, Aug 1, 2009 IP
    jitendraag likes this.
  10. jackv

jackv Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes dont send anything, because in India you dont know what will happen in the post.

People in the UK have their mail lost, opened sometimes with a great system in place. But india? The chances are very high.

However if you really want to send it then i suggest you send it only if you have credit card fraud safety. My card is fraud safe, if money is stolen my bank will give it back. You need some insurance on your card for some peace of mind.

jackv, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  11. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    many ppv and media buy companies ask for this from everyone.. it sucks but it's the way it is.. IMO screw google and advertise elsewhere ;)

ChrisBa, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  12. MedicAffiliate

MedicAffiliate Peon

Best Answers:
    Any updates on this?. I'm from India and want to start using adwords but this sounds serious.

What other payment options are available anyway?. Is there like a prepaid thing where we pay a certain amount and deposit in the adwords acc. so your adspend doesnt go any further?. And does this require a verified credit card or something...cause I have citibank but other than enter my credit card no. I'm not prepared to send anything further-will that be a problem?.

Much obliged if someone would answer my q's.

MedicAffiliate, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  13. sumeetrajaggarwal

sumeetrajaggarwal Peon

Best Answers:
    You also have the option of emailing them the details.

And one more thing they are not asking you to show your cvv number so you can hide that. Also i think you can hide date . Also confirm from google support for more info. There can be one more option just display last four digits of your card and hide the rest of the numbers.

I didnt rcvd any such mail though when I try to add new card it gives me that message.

see this link also http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=160443

Hope it helps.

sumeetrajaggarwal, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  14. BrianJump

BrianJump Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. Never knew india was such big biz

BrianJump, Dec 2, 2009 IP