1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Methods for Improving the Directory Sector

Discussion in 'Directories' started by swedal, Jul 27, 2009.

1. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said. The easiest way to change the world is by changing ourselves. But, the problem for the directory industry is that even if the serious directory owners did everything in their power to create the best possible directories they'd only be a tiny blip on the radar. There is just so much crap out there and too many webmasters and SEO firms willing to submit to the crap directories that it's hard to identify the good directories.

freelistfool, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    swedal likes this.
  2. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you are the one who can't understand a simple sentence and you think i'm going backwards? lol
    To you maybe
    How about you go and look up what directory actually means :rolleyes:

Luckily because its a joint venture we won't get the opportunity to see how unbiased you would be

Put that little gem in your next red rep
    I would need to hold your opinion in some regard before it meant something

You really need to rethink what you are doing if the best you can do is give me red rep.
    It's all the more laughable when you didn't even understand what I was talking about in the first instance.

Remember that time some idiot hacked your account..well I think he's got it back again :rolleyes:

discover, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  3. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Def.
    1. A book containing an alphabetical or classified listing of names, addresses, and other data, such as telephone numbers, of specific persons, groups, or firms.

I wasn't aware of any ONE page books out there. lol.. keep digging yourself deeper by all means

first, I don't want to be part of it.
    second, i would offer to help code, because i actually have several skills, unlike you.
    third, hell... do you have anything to bring to the table to help the project? oh... thought so. :rolleyes:

no problem. keep the cockeyed posts coming.

opinions are like a$$holes eh?

I red rep when idiocy occurs. thats all a forum member can do.
    read mhamjobs post to stoner as it refers to the exact same thing we were both referring to

I think he's always had yours.

an0n, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  4. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's like 2 girls having a private beitch fight in public, ? improve directories ? we can not even get past step one without people scratching eyes out.

Fly low , fly quiet and avoid the bullsheite sounds like a good start.

DownUnder, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    an0n likes this.
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you two children not realize that all you are doing is showing exactly why directory owners can't get anything positive done as a group?

YMC, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    an0n likes this.
  6. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    You clearly did not understand that they both are talking about the same thing which is that content/database content is the most important part of a directory.
    We all here were waiting for your to attack against discover because of the other thread where he was blaming old directory owners. Too bad for you you jumped too quick and made a fool of yourself.

enQuira, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    Nima likes this.
  7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:

re-read it.

we all know content refers clearly to what is in the database of the directory. e.g. categories, links, articles and what have you as well as the database itself. I even specified 'database driven website'.
    but that's ok now, we have single page quality directories now. :rolleyes:

So you are crying 'attack' like a ..... is beyond anyones scope other than yours and i guess discover's. Besides, don't you have some blackhat pr manipulation to tend too?

YMC, Downunder, you are right. I'll let it be as is. I am nto trying to take away from the thread. Discover and mhamjob can touch each others special places to make themselves feel good.

an0n, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To back to the topic, I too feel that free directory scripts should not be offered. It will not stop the spammy directories but it will definitely slow them down.

Educating the directory owners is good, but those who want to make spammy directories know what they are making. its not their lack of knowledge that makes do so.

Nima, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It will stop ALOT of the bullshit cause those people wont spend $1 dollar let alone $25 on an
    updated script so i think it would stabilize the directory scene enough if the free scripts where terminated.
    (upgrade or die...period)

@ An0n @ Discover

Both of you guys need to chill already with this arguing stuff ... ;)

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    swedal likes this.
  10. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok now that we are back on track I went through and tried to pick out the ideas. Noted them below. I did not bother with who said what quoting. I am just flat busy today and did not have that kind of time. If your wondering who suggested what you can look back through the thread. :)

1. Stop supporting scripts which offer free versions.
    2. Stop supporting or promoting low quality directories in any manner including the generation of lists, promoting them on sites, forums or anywhere else.
    3. Set up a non-profit site / organization to develop a website containing the following.
      • List of developed criteria to identify quality directories.
      • Educational material for directory owners and submitters.
      • Tools to research directories prior to submission.
      • Offer a secure accreditation badge for quality directories to display on their sites that links to the established criteria for a quality directory. Such as goguddy ssl.
      • List of accredited directories.
    4. Stop promoting free templates, category dumps, mods to download dmoz listings and the like.
    5. Good moderators for the directories forum on dp – I volunteered - dp apparently don't take volunteers. :(
    6. Focus on our own sites to ensure and improve their quality levels.

Now we can still add more to the list (and I might have missed something) and further discuss the ones already on the table to refine them.

In the end it will come down to who is going to walk the walk and take action on 1, 2, or all of these things and who is just talking.

Personally I have already done most of the items listed and will continue to do so. Plus I would participate in all of them if requested as much as my time permits.

swedal, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  11. web-fanatic

web-fanatic Banned

Best Answers:
    my view in my previous thread is exactly your 3rd point
    This would be the best option
    But how do you people proceed ?

Set up a non-profit site / organization to develop a website containing the following.
    • List of developed criteria to identify quality directories.
    • Educational material for directory owners and submitters.
    • Tools to research directories prior to submission.
    • Offer a secure accreditation badge for quality directories to display on their sites that links to the established criteria for a quality directory. Such as goguddy ssl.
    • List of accredited directories.
    Never meant Trademark infringement

web-fanatic, Jul 30, 2009 IP
    Nima likes this.
  12. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those are great suggestions.

How do we get started?

Here is a suggestion:

Write a petition to the directory script owners, get as many signatures, and ask them to stop offering free scripts.

Make a team of no more than 5 well known directory owners (to keep it organized) to start the non-profit site, develop criteria for good directories, and educational material for directory owner.

Set timelines on when we want each task done by.

I hope this will get started soon and I'm willing to help too.

Nima, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  13. web-fanatic

web-fanatic Banned

Best Answers:
    All this is good for writing and discussing
    will it be the same in implementing ?
    People should donate some funds to these members
    who is going to lead ?

web-fanatic, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thats actually quite cheeky, people need to take a step back here, its not acceptable to butt our noses into other peoples businesses, thats nothing to do with us, nobody forced us to purchase scripts in the first place.

Still completely missing the point, i dont mean you personally Nima, i mean the whole point that its not about what people are discussing here, that wont improve a thing.

Why is no one willing to learn anything new? this idea of a bunch of people telling everyone how to run their directories is pointless.

Why not have a "free of any type of advertising or directory promoting" blog that is like an online classroom where no one is in charge of anything and basically directory owners share and teach each other webmaster skills, lets learn coding and get to know what we actually work with.

Why not do that? whats so scary about learning something new? lets have no links to anyones directory on it, forget about talking of past directory owners who could be a part of it (i know thats not been mentioned here ;) ) theres plenty of people who want to be a part of something.

Share knowledge with those willing, rather than trying to educate ignorant people out to make a few coins.

Dont try and make profit from the idea, try and share what needs to be shared, which may turn out to be overall a whole lot better for our directories, forget gimmicks and old ideas and all the stuff that never gets started, forget mentioning niche directories because i think you all know thats not the answer either.

Dont try and alienate people either, dont think of how it could be a elitist place where others are not welcome, share information, make people want to come and learn more, and at the end of all that, do understand that there will always be those junk directories that we all complain about, just leave them to do their thing, they are a waste of your energy and time to talk about them.

Right, ok, domain name ideas, lets start posting domain name ideas, running the site on a CMS or some other idea?

People need to be able to create an account or at least comment at the site, get the ball rolling. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    pipes, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  15. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When a group of people/customers want their voices heard they get together and write a letter to the company. If you think free directory scripts are helping the industry, that is another point. It might sound "cheeky" to you. Some examples are members and users asking sites like Facebook, Google, etc change many of their policies. If a company sees that their customers want something change they usually listen. (The best customers of any business are its previous customers)

I very much like the idea of "criteria to identify quality directories" and a directory trust logo. Not everyone has to accept it, just like not everyone believes every trust logo on every website. For a while DirectoryCritic had a good system for reviews from members and evaluating good directories. Its not as good anymore though.

I do agree that the new website/organization has to be non-profit to keep it honest. We also need to make sure it doesnt turn out to be a site like DMOZ where everyone is biased and or alienate other volunteers.

There has to be a number of directory owners leading such a new organization. That can be voted too.

Nima, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  16. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I know where you're coming from, i know petitions work, i just think they are not suitable in this matter.

Trust logos are a bit old fashioned i think, they dont mean much to anyone outside of the business.

So far im not getting my point accross so il leave it there. :)

pipes, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pipes, if I am understanding what you are trying to say...your idea of education is not directed towards submitters but towards directory owners? Are you suggesting a place where directory owners could exchange programming tips, tutorials and ideas to making better directories rather than a place where submitters can learn more about what directory submission can and can't do for their sites and how to determine which directories are worth submitting to?

The folks who would need that information are the least interested in taking the time to use it. There's no place in their get a free script, slap up a free template, download a free cat dump and throw together a directory paradigm for modifications or template design.

And as to forgetting niche directories - boo hiss. lol Seriously, most of the new ideas that I have played with to add more valuable content and make a directory more useful for surfers would not work on a general directory. While I doubt that I would ever have the time or gumption to pursue those ideas, I will not be sharing those ideas with the general public anytime soon particularly without any form of compensation - think beyond the mods typically discussed around here.

Some of us slogged through the templates and code and spent weeks/months learning and developing something beyond the freebie or paid templates. If we share/give away for free what we have learned on our own, how exactly is that going to help combat the explosion of crap sites and promote the good ones or at least give submitters the information needed to determine the difference?

YMC, Jul 30, 2009 IP
    Nima likes this.
  18. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you guys eventually come up with something more concrete with the suggestions posted by participating members, I am ready to offer my help.

alistair80, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  19. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes education for owners of directories, yes as you said above, something for directory owners to become better educated in what matters, web development languages.

No you slightly misunderstand me in your next paragragh, it would not be intended for those who are the very people we are complaining about.

It would be for me and you for example, for swedal, syted, anon, nima, discover... using these names as examples ;) dont be offended, these and others own established directories, unless some have stopped.

Im not saying theres nothing in niche directories, what im saying is that they are not the next thing, not the answer, or the safest bet.

Still you maybe misunderstand me, i do not suggest the sharing of tricks and ideas of the new gimmick or mod that we can add.

What i suggest is learning web development languages, lets understand htaccess properly, and similar useful information that can be used beyond our directories of course.

This is already done by myself daily, my faves is chock full of bookmarks of sites that are jammed full, im learning what im already talking about, and i say why not do this within the directory community, it can focus on directories but overall its useful for web development.

If people cant or wont put in time to learn for themselves, nevermind learning as a group, then how can we keep on complaining when we know nothing more than the ones we complain about.

The focus should not be on what poorly run directories are doing, that wont bring any of you anything, the focus needs to be on self improvement.

To answer your question, you're not supposed to combat the explosion of crap sites, if you focus on how ours and us can be improved then they can overshadow the junk thats out there.

Rather than manipulation use education. :)

None of you have to agree with what i said but think it over at least.

Added

If you ever read about revenge, for example visit yahoo answers or some site that discusses revenge, and probably the best suggestion from people is to rise above it, im not saying that our situation is about revenge against crap directories but rather than trying to think of ideas to get back at someone or something, you're much better off working at taking yourself to a higher level.

Yes this does take time, but once the skills are gained that really gives you the upper hand then, as its much more difficult for those quick fix types to try and do the same, most likely most of them wont try and learn so then you have the separation that you desire.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    pipes, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  20. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am pretty sure I understand what your saying and it is similar in part to the pm I received from a script company.....

I think that it may be a good idea for directory owners to better educate themselves. I don't necessarily follow the need for a directory owner to know how to code something though... Let me explain.

Do you think the CEO of Ford knows how to put a steering column into one of their new cars as it rolls down the assembly line??? I think not.

What the CEO does provide is the vision, means and motivation for the people that do know how to put that steering column in to do so.

The ability to code something has nothing to do with how well a directory owner can run a directory. Having the vision to make something worthwhile and pull the pieces together has everything to do with it.

What your basically saying is that we directory owners should mind our own business and leave those poor free directory script companies alone. We should only do the things which we have control over.

That is precisely what I for one am doing. I have control over where I spend my money and which script company I support. I am choosing to no longer support those companies offering free scripts for all the reasons previously mentioned in this thread. In a nutshell - the business practices those script companies use are hurting our sector so I see no need to help those companies in return.

Should I go and tell those script companies thank you so much for helping to make a mess of this sector by allowing all these spam directories to go up on your free scripts - here is a few grand I would like a license, custom template and several interesting mods to these specs? I don't think so! :mad:

The script issue is not the only thing we could do to try and improve things for owners, visitors and submitters alike. But along with other things it is definitely something we can address - and our addressing it may be a petition as nima states or simply never purchasing from them again. Whatever action, even if no action - it is an action that every one of us is free to take.

Not sure where the "revenge" thing comes in - if you're not saying it then why bring it up? This is business and about ways to improve our industry across the board for all of us not about hurting someone. No one here deny's that the sector would be much better off, with a better image, if people could not throw up spam filled directories by the thousands with no out of pocket investment. That sounds like something someone fairly young would say.

swedal, Jul 31, 2009 IP