1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the going rate for writing articles?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by slickazsilk, Jun 9, 2009.

Hi just wanted to ask how much is the going rate for hiring someone to write SEO'd articles for you?

How much per 100 words? I'm thinking of hiring someone but i don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks for the reply guys!!

slickazsilk, Jun 9, 2009 IP
  2. ContentConcepts

ContentConcepts Guest

Best Answers:
    Slickazsilk,

As with anything else that you outsource, it really depends on the quality of articles that you are looking to receive. It will be hard to get quality native English from an American, Canadian, or British person without spending at least $1 per 100 words. On the other hand, if you are just looking for something that will pass the Big G's filters, then you can basically get passable content as cheap as you can imagine.

Just remember that with content writing, the quality that you get will greatly increase with the price that you pay. As an example, we charge $0.02 to $0.03 per word for our content ($2 to $3 per 100 words), but our content is publication quality, which our clients can directly publish to their websites without any editing. Our current clients all agree that for them, the extra cost is worth the quality, as it is easier for them to manage and more profitable in the long-run.

C.A.
    ContentConcepts

ContentConcepts, Jun 9, 2009 IP
  3. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    And also be aware that writers don't work on a linear scale. You ain't getting JK Rowling for $10 a page.

contentboss, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  4. figgity

figgity Active Member

Best Answers:
    You got that right. I'm amazed that some people write articles for like $1 an hour. I need at least $25 an hour.

figgity, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  5. makaleus

makaleus Peon

Best Answers:
    yes this is true

makaleus, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  6. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey,

I'm a student, although i still work full time (40+ hours per week). I understand it is a hard business to get into, so untill i get my website sorted, i'll be charging $0.015-0.02 for article writing depending on quality and quantity needed. Article re-writes i have been doing for $0.01-0.0125 per word, again, depending on quality and quantity.

I've tried to outsource work out, even at $0.01 to about 10 writers, and there PM replies varied a great deal in comparison with the work provided, lets put it that way!

My Verdict: I'd expect $1.5 - $2.00 to be reasonable, but for extremely good quality, expect $3+ (outside of DP of course!)

GrantDraper, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  7. truepals_forever

truepals_forever Banned

Best Answers:
    I know a writer, She charges 2.5$ per 100 words.
    HIt me up for her info..

truepals_forever, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  8. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    The "going rate" depends on so many different factors, one being where you look for a writer. Here on DP, the rates are continually dropping. The going rate seems to be anywhere from $.25 to $1.00 per 100 words. I can't attest to the quality you get for that price. You might luck up and find a good writer who isn't aware that they may be charging more, but at that price, I'm inclined to believe you'll get something unoriginal, computer-generated, or both.

Personally, I'm not accepting anything below $50 per article these days. That's generally $10 per 100 words.

latoya, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  9. Scotia

Scotia Member

Best Answers:
    I charge $15-25 per article, but I write on one niche only, and I'm an expert in that niche with years of experience, and access to other experts in the niche.

I've bought some articles for my own little sites that aren't in my niche, and paid around $5 for 500 words, but didn't end up using the articles. They were not good. I think sometimes you can find an inexpensive gem, but you usually get what you pay for.

Scotia, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  10. Kat Fuschillo

Kat Fuschillo Peon

Best Answers:
    Most people charge by the word.

If I were to write a 100 word article for you... It'd cost you $2.50.

I hope this helps. :)

Kat Fuschillo

Kat Fuschillo, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  11. harrykeung

harrykeung Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Find some copywriting services in India, $3.00 a pop, but quality is not guaranteed.
    Are they using some automated rewriting softwear?
    Ernie

harrykeung, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  12. AC-Coach

AC-Coach Peon

Best Answers:
    For my websites I usually pay in the range of $2 per 100 words. It just depends on the quality of work you're looking for.

AC-Coach, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  13. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I charge $200 per 500 words (rates vary a bit for lower word counts, credit, etc.), and I have enough clients coming to me regularly that I don't have to look for work and very rarely take on new clients. It's not typical for what you see publicly on DP, but what you see publicly on the boards in no way accurately represents all business going on here or what is a "going rate." Quite a lot of business is done privately through connections made on DP for those who know what they're doing. Equating anything over the $.01 per word kinds of advertised rates here as a rip-off would be a mistake. Writers charging higher rates often give more than basic SEO (as in authority content that also attracts and retains visitors, leads to increases in subscribers, etc.). They're simply not in everyone's budget.

jhmattern, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  14. swriting

swriting Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is a going rate. Each writer has his/her own rates. Of course, the better the quality, the more you have to pay. If you don't mind bad quality you can pay less (there are many cheap writers - sorry, don't mean to be harsh but that is true).

swriting, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  15. UKPressReleases

UKPressReleases Peon

Best Answers:
    From my perspective, I charge £80, around $130 for a press release. Articles, I'll charge less because of the competitive nature of the niche - £0.01 per word. Content for websites I just won't bother with - it bores me and I want some control over what I feel I would like to write, since I'm only doing this in my spare time.

UKPressReleases, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  16. EbooksAndArticles

EbooksAndArticles Peon

Best Answers:
    C.A. from Content Concepts makes a good point. People think that paying the least amount possible for articles is the best way to do business. But think about what happens if you pay $3 per article, only to receive junk back. Then you need to either rewrite/edit the content yourself or hire yet another writer to fix it. That not only costs you more money, but delays your Web site launch schedule. It's best to pay a little more to quality writers who provide accurate and original content that is free of errors so that you can just put it right on your site and move on.

EbooksAndArticles, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  17. becca

becca Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen articles that cost 100 dollars to the client but needed to be re written to make any use of it. So it depends on what you are looking for and the quality you are looking for .

becca, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  18. wamm9512

wamm9512 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what type of quality you're seeking. If you aren't interested in quality then it is possible to pay $1 per 100 words. Sometimes even cheaper than that if you are willing to to pay for poor quality articles.

wamm9512, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  19. tani

tani Peon

Best Answers:
    well if you want to hire a writer and not get ripped off as well then i think $1 would be a fair price. anything less would be taking advantage of a persons services and anything above $2.5 would be a rip off for you.

tani, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  20. needwork

needwork Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people, like yourself, must be making a killing with Article Marketing.

needwork, Aug 7, 2009 IP