1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Gniuz, Jul 23, 2006.

Gniuz, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  2. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it has not been reviewed yet. If you resubmit your website, that would just bury it back at the bottom of the submissions.

crossman, Jul 24, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  3. Gniuz

Gniuz Peon

Best Answers:
    oh, thanks.

Gniuz, Jul 25, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  4. ariherdi

ariherdi Active Member

Best Answers:
    uuh.. i have submitted my link on DMoz for about 1 year ago, but still not reviewed

ariherdi, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  5. Ozzie

Ozzie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm really glad I read this thread. It's only been a month since I submitted my site. I guess I need to have a lot of patience. Do they contact you if it is reviewed or accepted?

Ozzie, Jul 31, 2006 IP
  6. cmonline

cmonline Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep - I'm still waiting a year later next month... Kind of a no hoper really - but I'm still, well.... hoping :(

cmonline, Jul 31, 2006 IP
  7. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most likely you will not receive any confirmation of the review, acceptance or rejection. Editors rarely send any notice to the submitter.

While we recommend that dmoz is one of the first directories to submit your site to, it should be considered last as far as promotion goes. Submit your sites and continue with the more important promotional opportunities.

CReed, Jul 31, 2006 IP
  8. ariherdi

ariherdi Active Member

Best Answers:
    why DMoz is so long??? anyone know?

ariherdi, Aug 1, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. strawberrycupcake

strawberrycupcake Guest

Best Answers:
    As you know, the editors are all volunteers. I'm not sure about the turnover, but a lot of the good editors burn out or leave, or are invited to leave. The latter happens usually when a meta editor sets their sights on them for some perceived issue and then by some undemocratic process the lower level editor is no longer able to edit. They don't tell them beforehand. I was talking to an ex editor who found out her editing rights were removed when she tried to login. This was a very concientious person who really cared about the categories she was involved with. Unfortunately she got in a disagreement with a meta editor whose ego was bigger than his sense of what was correct.

So, what happens is that you have a lot of editors who leave, or end up editing categories that are huge and they need help but there aren't enough hands to help out. In my case, I was granted editing permissions in a much larger category by a "nice" meta editor, and another one with major ego issues started reviewing and nitpicking everything I've been doing. It almost seemed that I became collateral damage in a meta war of some sort. In this newer category, I have sites that have been sitting there since 2001. I'll review them, add them to the directory and a few days later this particular meta editor will come along and unreview much of what I've done. It is usually because I want to provide a good description that falls within the industry standards involved for these types of firms, but as you know, often the standard DMOZ descriptions are a bit ghastly.

Also, to the folks who wondered about re-submitting a site, I would not. Some editors review sites based on when they were submitted. In this case, if a site was submitted in January 2005 and again in December 2005, I would review the first one and when I came across the duplicate submission (by then the site would have been already listed) I'd delete the extra submission, noting that the site is already in the directory. There are other editors who will do the opposite, and delete your earliest submission which bounces your next submission down further.

They have a Resource Zone for people to ask editors questions to, but they will not provide status checks anymore about the status of a site submission.

strawberrycupcake, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  10. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want a beautiful example of such nitpicking, I can make public exchanges kctipton has had with me, in my editing days. I still have them on file!

Would that be cool?

helleborine, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    :D :D
    A lot of them. Would you like a list of JACK'S or SPADES.
    Your not ALONE. Alone. alone.
    Here I am now.:D
    That's cool.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  12. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried a year ago and still not listed.
    I am still wondering if it is even worth it

Winagain, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  13. uranus

uranus Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been waiting for over a year now, why can;t I add my own site.

uranus, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  14. fitnawake

fitnawake Peon

Best Answers:
    Think that Dmoz are digging there own grave in the future... with that long submision times and no submissions...

fitnawake, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try Paypal.:D
    Ask THE UNDERTAKERS .:rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  16. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    http://dmoz.org/guidelines/meta/abuse.html#removing - Removal requires the concensus of 5 or more Meta' editors which is hardly 'undemocratic'. One Meta can't remove an editor just because they want to, they have to have clear evidence that removal is necessary and convince others as well.

If you feel the meta is being abusive any anyway, document it and file an abuse report. The matter will be looked into by other meta's and if found to be abuse it will be dealt with too.
    "Good descriptions with in industry standards" sounds a lot like adding a lot of keywords and advertising hype to me, but I don't know who you are or what URL's you are talking about. There is no 'standard dmoz descriptions' just guidelines on what needs to be included. I fail to see how a description is 'ghastly' if it describes the subject of the site + features/content found on the site without any keywords or hype. That is the basic formula for writing a description.

yup pretty soon the 4 million refund requests will start rolling in, lets see 4,000,000 x $0 = ??? :rolleyes: There are no submission times, you submit a site (we call it suggest) and the submission time is over. At some point an editor will look at the suggestion and if it is listable it gets listed, who knows perhaps an editor finds it and lists it without ever looking at the 'submission' and then finds it sitting months-years later.

@popotalk
    A lot of editors (myself included) offered/tried to help you. You were not alone but then again, perhaps I am one of those that has a bigger ego than my sense of correctness. You may be collateral damage, but it is not from anything other editors were doing. It is from your own actions and attitude and with quotes like "Try Paypal." it seems like you do your own work at justifing it.

shadow575, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    before I post...
    Glad to hear from you Shadow575. Congratulations on those promotions you deserve those. Its been a while since you posted.:D

Right, but how should we know that we were not gang banged. Most of them are AI and think collectively the same.:rolleyes:

Before doing that, was there a META that have been ex-communicated ?

No doubt. Your helping hand is always appreciated. Your a good guy. I vouch for that. (perspectively from others say a quick ladder of success)

Sorry shadow. I'm not in Dire Straits for money. You could be my guest, since I like you, in Maryland I pay your Hotel for a week Marriott or your choice. Company Account or Personal. No problem. Maybe some of your editors logging in from a long absence and list all travel sites. Thats money. My actions ? Last time I knew I was voting in Spring Awards. Next can't log in. Maybe its the SPAMMING OF TRUTH. Anyway, its all in the past.
    Thank you for welcoming me twice in the present. Maybe I go up in ranks for each again in the future. (What am I saying):rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    redQueen likes this.
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems many of Metas and Admins are promoted to that position since their collective IQ result will not reach the room temperature. :rolleyes:

It is enough for anyone to look at some of the postings in this forum to be convinced of the above fact. The whole system of abuse reporting and editor removal is just a joke that does more in protecting the corruption than fighting it.

gworld, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    kemus likes this.
  19. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh, red reps, red reps. Missed you all too. :rolleyes:

Now I remember why I stopped trying to post over here. Oh well, wasn't missing it that much while I was gone, won't miss it at all going forward. Cheers all.

shadow575, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be discourage shadow. Ces't La Vie. by brizzie. Look for the green. :)

popotalk, Aug 2, 2006 IP