1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please kill the infraction system before it kills DP

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by promo, Jul 18, 2009.

1. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I never got anything but private notes.. And to my knowledge none of my posts have ever been deleted.. I see how it becomes tiring to type in reasons for each infraction when doling them out by the hundreds..

Also I never really ever received a curtious answer from any official DP representative other than yourself and Smyrl.. Now I know its an ungratefully job to be a forum mod.. But where is the fun .. All I ever see is mods with a belly ache..

promo, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you saw what we saw you would have a belly ache, headache, and probably want to poke your own eyes out... So be nice to mods even if they seem a bit crabby at times.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure why new mods don't say, "fuck this... Undo my mod status." after an hour of being one. Lol

digitalpoint, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  3. ads2help

ads2help Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually I have something to ask regarding infraction system:

Why can't we reply to our own thread (with some updates) after 24 hours?

Because our thread is like buried forever when there's no buyer at that time period.

Thank you.

ads2help, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  4. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL!! the only reason of not quitting is that moderators are linked with the brand name of DP:)

To me infraction system is fine..it may have some loopholes but as they say nothing is perfect!!

kanwarjot, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  5. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you dont pay em.. I cant see why they would want it either..

I am always nice to mods.. I dont like it when they use roll eyes on my posts.. But I will stay curtious..

But seriously, it does not improve the environment here that mods are in chronic bad mood.. As said I really like your creation Shawn, so I am just offering you my feedback.

promo, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  6. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My recent 1 week BST ban was for a sarcastic post that i made in the LINK SALES forum.
    I'm not sure if i can put that here.
    Also, the infraction and ban came for a post that i had written before 3 days. :(

If that post of mine was worth a ban is actually debatable.
    So, giving the benefit of doubt, I am not complaining. :D

I like DP! :D

mdvasanth86, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  7. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am in support of the infraction system staying ON, as it gives a good opportunity to the members to mend their ways before a more stringent punishment is enforced.

It actually serves as a very good warning and is very effective for newbies to quickly get used to the rules of the forum, as receiving an actual notice does wonders than reading the rules several times!

As for the mods... they are doing a wonderful job, especially this being a social service! :)

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  8. MrHarper

MrHarper Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the infraction system is a good one, but mods are a little too scrict sometimes. You should be able to make a joking or sarcastic post without risk of being banned for a week. Everybody here is far too serious.

Perhaps a good idea would be to get more mods. From what I can see, there are hardly any here at DP, and the ones that are mods are constantly running around and don't have time for individual users.

MrHarper, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  9. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly!

I can understand that it is definitely not that easy to be a moderator in a forum like this but moderators shouldn't get too serious. Such posts are only going to help them!

Entertainment, humor and masala is always a must. ;):D

mdvasanth86, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  10. zaczebra

zaczebra Peon

Best Answers:

Promo i 100% agree with you - green applied, the replies you got for even suggesting this where >> "if you don't like it go to the warrior forum" or "we can't allow members to post whatever they want"

To me this is really sad and totally missing the point that i think you are trying to make.

I think DP is really useful ... but to find this usefullness is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack

There are some real gems of information and products on this forum, but i have resorted to using google to find them...

I don't what to have to go to google to find stuff on this forum, i want to come to this forum and find it easily

So DP please have a think about what promo is saying here, and maybe try and come up with a solution to
    find the gold at DP

Maybe a star ratings system or something like that ;)

zaczebra, Jul 19, 2009 IP
    promo likes this.
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can't get "private notes." The links in your infraction list may be replaced by a private listing if that post was deleted. However, even if it's deleted, the text of your original post is still included in your infraction email. There are no secrets. You get to see exactly which post received an infraction as long as you have email notifications turned on. And if it says private in your infraction list then the post was definitely deleted. When a post isn't allowed, it's deleted when the infraction is given (and looking at some, I can see that several were in fact deleted when you got the infractions).

You've received infractions from a pretty wide variety of mods and for a variety of reasons which signals to me at least that maybe the problem is that you're not familiarizing yourself with the rules (which is every member's responsibility when they join a community - and for the record, even mods have learned the hard way getting infractions of their own).

Yours have been for everything from posting "I'll take a copy" to telling others to gang up on a member with red rep. No, they may not be spam, but I'd argue with the claim of wonderful ethics based on that second example alone. You've also blatantly posted affiliate links (could argue that's spam given that it's clearly not allowed here), and bumping your own sales threads several times in a row.

If it's so upsetting to receive an infraction email, then just don't do things that warrant an infraction. There's a sticky with a nice run down of what's allowed and what's not. It's not going to cover everything, but that alone would stop a lot of folks from getting infractions.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1112065

We already have a star ratings system on threads. If you feel you've found a gem, then feel free to leave them a positive rating to let others know. :)

jhmattern, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  12. abluegrape

abluegrape Peon

Best Answers:
    I got infractions as someone asked why there product wasnt selling(ebooks) for quite a high price so i put that you can buy the same product and more from ebay for next to nothing...........................then got infraction x 2

Also I got infraction for no reason at all, thats three in one day and i still dont know what for?

I dont think ill use the forum if i cant write my opinion or post to anything.

abluegrape, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It sounds to me that people complaining about infractions are complaining about ones only in the Buy/Sell/Trade section... Here's a few solutions I can think of...
    • Stop using the buy/sell/trade section
    • Maybe we should just close the B/S/T section
    • Charge people $0.25 per post in that section.
    I bet if people had to pay a small amount of money, they wouldn't post useless stuff like, "pm sent!" (those ones always crack me up... that's like me emailing you to let you know I'm about to call you... you probably would realize this because your phone would ring. Same with PMs... there's a dialog that pops up the 2nd you email them. They don't even need to visit the thread to know you PMed them. lol)

14. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Opinions don't belong in sales threads unless you've taken part in a deal in that thread - then you can leave a positive or negative review there. Sales threads are for sales - not commentary. In the one, where the OP asked for "pointers" what you posted looks more like an ad than anything else, just directing people to another site + ebay where they can buy - that's not a pointer, but it is hijacking a sales thread. You then bumped by posting again 2 minutes after that post (w/o someone else even posting in between). You should have edited your previous post instead - what you did would constitute post padding. "Signed up and ready to roll" was your other infracted post - a blatant bump.

You're certainly welcome to stay as a member and take part in the marketplace. Just familiarize yourself with the rules first. Use the three infractions as a warning (which they are) so you know what to brush up on. If you have absolutely no idea what infractions are about, then read the rules and you'll probably figure it out. If not, PM a moderator instead of posting about them. Everyone saying they're getting infractions for "no reason at all" have clearly not read the rules and stickies - there are pretty obvious reasons for them.

jhmattern, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  15. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a good one !:D
    You can surely do this...:D Then there won't be any problem regarding infractions in BST. :eek:

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Jul 19, 2009 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  16. waxman1000

waxman1000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, you are the guy. No doubt you own such a community. Your explanation is quite extensive and I really think it makes so much sense.

I am moderating a couple of other popular forums. I know exactly what you are talking about. There are so many spammers out there, and unless you are a moderator in a forum, you will never understand what it takes to moderate a forum.

I've had my own share of infractions, but I still think the infraction system is a great way to ease moderation. I really like the concept, though I sometimes wonder why some people don't get it for the same type of posts. Still I don't mind, I guess it is not a perfect world.

waxman1000, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Probably someone hasn't reported it, so we didn't see it.

18. ADVERTNETWORK

ADVERTNETWORK Peon

Best Answers:
    i appreciate the post title but not the infraction but its pretty much nice option for scamers and spammers

ADVERTNETWORK, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  19. MrHarper

MrHarper Guest

Best Answers:
    I think your last point is a good idea. Whilst I admit I myself am guilty of a few spammy posts, it's getting out of hand now. Maybe a premium member option, that costs $30 per year or something. Only these Premium members have access to the BST forum. That way it stops people from posting crap as they don't want to lose their premium membership, without costing active traders a dollar for every four posts.

Either way, some kind of payment needs to be put in place.

MrHarper, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  20. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Shawn!
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150751

Might not be right for every forum, but an interesting idea.

Jackuul, Jul 19, 2009 IP