1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google and Links. No, no, no, no, no, no. That's NOT how to do it!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Foggy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. frogjy

frogjy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Foggy, thanks for your post.
    but,i think if any page get a better pos in google,then it will get a pr sooner or later~

frogjy, Jul 17, 2009 IP
  2. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    Why should I bother backing this up? Believe me, don't believe me, or go do your own research. I'm not here to teach SEO 101 to n00bs.

Good, so just carry on doing that.

Why? I don't need to build any credibility here - I'm not selling anything. So I have nothing to gain from showing you my sites, what I do on each one and giving you stats logins so you can verify my traffic. If you research my old threads/follow my itraders, speak to those who sold me links and compile a list of some of the sites I own you'll see that I'm not some kid with a $50 template. My sites aren't worth a few hundred dollars, or even a few hundred thousand dollars - they're worth more than that. But I can't be bothered proving it to you. Believe it. Or don't believe it, I don't care :)

Bullsh*t. Have a look at this site whose author I know. Unique concept. Viral concept. One press release was sent to theregister.co.uk. Notice that the press release was wacky/ weird/ funny. Theregister.co.uk liked it and mentioned it here. Then with zero link building it acquired about 4000 links within 2 months of going live about 3 years ago (though the links have now dropped). People just liked it and kept talking about it and linking to it even though it had zero PR. It went to PR6 in the very first PR update. All with just one press release!

Just because you have a PR0 site it doesn't mean people won't link to you - your site just has to appeal enough. If you have a PR0 site and nobody is linking to you then there's a message there - you need to improve the quality!

Strive for quality and the links will flow by themselves. Strive for links and you're chasing the wrong goal.

I own a site which had 8 x PR6 pages at the start of this year and has 25 PR6 pages now. There has been no link building done on this site ever. This is one of my smaller sites so I'll tell you the URL for this one: click here. Why do people link to it? Not because it has PR but because of the hundreds of pages of top quality content. Like I said

Strive for quality and the links will flow by themselves. Strive for links and you're chasing the wrong goal.

Then you're a glass half empty kind of person. A savvy webmaster would look at those and say, "Hey, a PR0 page can get to the top of Google". And you are taking the defeatist attitude of, "Hey, I need to get PR4 because 70% of the top sites are PR4+"

Foggy, Jul 18, 2009 IP
    splendidboy likes this.
  3. fujimoto

fujimoto Member

Best Answers:
    This is nonsense.

fujimoto, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Don't think too hard dude, you could do some damage. :rolleyes:

dcristo, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  5. Prince_Porter

Prince_Porter Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post, I'm relatively new to SEO, but from what I've read and thrown together via my own thoughts, this makes perfect sense. I've found that a ton of SEO is really just common sense, I think WAY too many people are trying to find a specific science to this instead of just using their heads and building a site with proper links, good content and decent spreading. Either way, nice information.

Prince_Porter, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  6. RogerDodgr

RogerDodgr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I wish more people on this forum understood the subtle points you make about value or devaluation of a site based on outgoing links. Linking to quality material that is relevant to the point that you're making is not a negative and I think may actually be a positive for your site because it more precisely defines your page and I suspect the particular text in question with regard to Google.

So as someone trying to promote a site, I look for people with real sites that are sincere about their subject. I tell people what my site is about -- and I actually say, "my site won't embarrass you". However, 95% percent of the people that are into the selling of links don't get this or don't want to get it. A link is a link, and they're all priced the same based on 'pagerank', but never on the quality of the site that is being linked to.

RogerDodgr, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  7. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? So, if a comment on that blog brings someone to my site (aka - traffic) and they buy a $100 item from me, that is your definition of "no benefit whatsoever"?

Or did you mean "no SEO benefit"? That we can agree on.

Phynder, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  8. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    If there are "2000 other spam comments" on there I doubt the page is going to send you traffic spending $100 a go ;)

Merkersarl, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  9. shworth

shworth Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, based on the fact that the OP started with

I was talking about SEO, which we agree on.

shworth, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  10. Ryan1212

Ryan1212 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen many sites that use link exchanges and have a very positive effect on their sites. Given yeah you have to link exchange with related sites obviously, but that's a given. Many sites I've seen are not in link exchanges for the PR either, it's the traffic they are after (and it does work).

As for three way link exchanges, google cannot possibly come down on these simply because they are only one way links, pure and simple. You're telling me that if I link to site B from site A at one point, later down the line a few days later site B links to C because they like it, and then the three way is completed by chance of C linking to A, they will come down on that? I think not. Search engine optimization from what I've seen involves a lot of common sense, and coming down on link exchanges to perfectly acceptable and related sites doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Ryan1212, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  11. Xtremetwodamax

Xtremetwodamax Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't buy links, I always look to affiliate or exchange links with websites similar to mine which contain similar content. I am unsure of what the definitions for some of the linking schemes you mentioned are.

What is three way linking?

What is site wide links?

I don't have any clue what those terms mean, I've been running a website for about two years now.

I usually place a link in my signature on most forums I join if they allow it, most of the time the forum is of a similar niche or has similar content to mine.

I've only submitted my link to very few directories, directories that I was sure were reputable. I don't believe I have much to worry about, but it would help if you defined some of the terms you mentioned. :)

Xtremetwodamax, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  12. RogerDodgr

RogerDodgr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Xtremetwodamax,

Three way links: 3 sites; site A, B, and C. The linking arrangement works like this:
    A-->B, B-->C, C-->A

Site wide links: This simply means, your link is on every page in another site.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RogerDodgr, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  13. Darins

Darins Peon

Best Answers:
    sometimes people ignoring what the google says... some people says that's will not work.. but some poeple says that methods really work.. the best way is just try it your self, if that methodes work, just keep it your self.. and keep say that the methodes don't work et all!

Darins, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  14. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    LOL, you really have no idea how easy it is to detect that! Have one three way link deal and it shows up on the link map. Have two or three and your chances of being detected as a three-way linking scheme increase exponentially. Have more than 10 and I'll eat every Google server if they haven't figured you're a three-way-spam-bonehead. That, my friend, is common sense. It's naive to think that spacing the links out a bit in time can somehow defeat the link maps Google compiles to analyse relationships. You know what, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to programming and code... but even I could write something to detect that ... and you think Google can't?

And you know for sure that it's the link exchange rather than something else that has had a positive effect on their sites? It's easy to rank #1 for a term nobody else is competing on. Pick something uber competitive, check the SERPs and see how many of the top sites are using link exchange schemes. Why do you think they don't bother with link exchanges? Why do you think every reputed SE expert from Danny Sullivan to Aaron Wall has been preaching about how useless the usual type of DP link exchanging is?

How about
    A ---> B in exchange for
    C ---> D?

Still a piece of cake. You're forgetting the footprint. One four way link may go undetected. Do a few more and bingo! you've pulled your pants down.

Foggy, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  15. nickora

nickora Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? is it actually worth the effort for sitewide links for the amount of traffic that they generate? - honestly cant see this as being productive

nickora, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  16. nikomaster

nikomaster Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Foggy!! Could not be more agree with you!!, finally someone got the same word I as am.

Cheers.

nikomaster, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  17. candychip

candychip Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey foggy
    nice post..
    I am again.. follower of serp and not PR.
    and i agree.. with you that PR is required... for link sale only...

but I need some ADVICE..
    when getting links from notrelated site..what ever the niche of that site is.. it wont mark our site negatively...?
    site which has outgoing link(s) can get it wrong...

since we cant control others sites...

for getting top on serp...what kind of link you think will work?

in one example i tested that my site was crawled by a no follow... backlink

but can couple of nofollow backlinks help improve serp...

my goal is serp....

candychip, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  18. ws01

ws01 Member

Best Answers:
    great post. thanks for share.

ws01, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  19. HDfan

HDfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post, Foggy.

Content is king. Links will follow as a result. I very rarely buy links and when I do, I'm careful to make sure they will be a good deal for me - not financially but in terms of results from Google etc.

HDfan, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  20. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent post Foggy! DP is full of people chasing links and link exchanges.

None! Why buy them when you can get them for free. Our focus for a while now has been on generating quality sites with excellent content to attract links naturally and it is working wonders.

Clients used to ask us to buy links for this and that and guess what it got them no where! The sites we create which actually appeal to the visitors are gaining momentum like no other.

So if you are going to do it, do it right. Generate something that people are actually interested in! IMO everything else is lame and a waste of time.

giorgioarmani, Jul 20, 2009 IP