1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do Muslims and Jews not eat pork?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by avatar33, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Cause they're superstitious.

Either way, I know for one thing, I can't give up my Di Russo Sausages!

Stroh, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  2. avatar33

Best Answers:
    Dodara, your explanation was amazing! I didn't know that Christians were forbidden from eating pork too...

3. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's because the Hebrews and Arabs were nomadic during the time the dietary proscriptions were laid down. Maybe they associated the pig (which can't be herded long distances) with the city dwellers who often hassled/warred with Hebrews/Arabs of the nomadic stage. The restrictions persisted even after their started living in cities.

Another dimension is the impracticality/health hazards of consuming pork and being nomadic.

webmasterlabor.com, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  4. Dodara

Dodara Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im sorry to disagree, but your explanations make no sense and are not based on facts or proofs, so they can not be considered in any case at all.

Eating pork is prohibited in Islam, Christian and Judaism, it is prohibited by the 3 major religions and supported by science explanations which demonstrate that pork meat is more diseased and provide more risk than other animals meat, adding to this the strange behavior of pork in some cases from the rest of animals.

Dodara, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Rebecca, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  6. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Like All things it's fine in moderation. I know "moderation" isn't a word most Americans understand when it comes to food, but I'm sure everyone else knows what it means.

Wait, You aren't claiming it was a healthy eating tip from god are you? I hope not becauseim at work, so pissing myslef in hysterical laughter and rolling around on the floor wouldn't go down to well.

stOx, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I got a buddy that won't eat pork, but he buys turkey bacon :). You just know he wants it, I mean c'mon. Turkey Bacon ? That's as dumb as veggie burgers. I mean, if you don't eat meat, then why shape your vegetables like it ? Have you ever seen a tofurkey (Tofu shaped like turkey) ?

It's as perplexing as lesbians with strap ons.

hmansfield, Jul 15, 2009 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  8. avatar33

Best Answers:
    I don't agree with that. Dude, we have all been "conditioned" to eat meat since we were kids. When I get sick my grandmother still tells me to eat a good steak to heal, so it's imprinted in our subconscious. So when you want to switch and become a vegetarian, no matter how determined and serious you are about it, your subconscious will still crave that meat so yes a veggie burger can satisfy your subconscious because it reminds you of eating a real burger. However this is another topic, let's get back to pigs here :D

9. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    there are a lot Jewish dietary and procedural laws that have health benefits.
    for example washing hands before eating. also washing the leafy veggies in cold water [it kills the little bugs], and there are many others. a lot of them are repeated and exist in Islam also. being if it is from god or ET [the same one that built the pyramids, as i believe] or just a fluke is a different story.

pizzaman, Jul 16, 2009 IP
  10. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think even back then people knew that washing things was good, they didn't need god to tell them. They weren't morons, just ancient.

It's the equivalent of me saying "i just wrote a book, in it i instruct people not to hit themselves on the head with a hammer, hitting yourself on the head with a hammer IS bad, therefor it must be the word of god!"

stOx, Jul 16, 2009 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'm working with some treehuggers right now, and many are vegetarians. I always wonder how many times you can possibly try to imitate the look or taste of something without just saying "Fuggit, I want the real deal now".

Blogmaster, Jul 16, 2009 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    No, pork is bad for you. If you are an atheist, then maybe you should at least rely on info from biologists and scientists. They will all tell you that there is nothing good about pork. Moderation? Sure, I think if you have a quarter of a gram of cocaine a day, you may be ok as well. But why even bother?

Blogmaster, Jul 16, 2009 IP
  13. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    i don't think the british peasaent washed regularly until middle ages. nevertheless we are talking about people living in deserts and or the area where water is very scarce. so it is not unreasonable to assume that they would not have washed regularly.
    also you are the one that is bringing god into this. there is a god or not has nothing to do with it. these laws exist. we can see what is written in these books. and we can talk about its validity without consideration for god. some parts we can agree and some we can reject.

14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no pork is fine so long as you don't eat too much of it, like all things. It contains protiens and nutrients that our body need. It's food, just like any other. Which is where your comparison to cocain falls flat on it's face, as it enevitibly always would, because cocaine has no nutritional benefits at all.

Pizzaman, the point is the "rules" are common sense and things that people knew about long before they were written in a story book. Just like morality, the religions got it from the people, not the other way round.

stOx, Jul 16, 2009 IP
  15. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    i've been trying to tell you this for over a year now. if religion gets it from the people, why do you keep on insisting religion is responsible for the problems of society and savagery of people?

16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't say it's responsible for problems and savagry. What I say is either 1: it gives people justification for being a bigot and 2: any religious person found to be doing something "imoral", such as raping childred, visiting gay prostitutes or evading tax, of which there are examples, are hypocrites who actually believe in this god shit any more than I do.

Of course, there are examples of blatently imoral instructions in religious texts, like the killing of disobedient children and cheating wives, but anything that would be considered moral in a contemporary sense, such as not stealing or killing people, were already held as moral standards long before the invention of any religion claiming to be the source of it.

stOx, Jul 16, 2009 IP
  17. Kosmix5

Kosmix5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Christians are also forbidden from eating shellfish.

Kosmix5, Jul 17, 2009 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    That would be Jews and not Christians.

Blogmaster, Jul 17, 2009 IP
  19. Dodara

Dodara Active Member

Best Answers:
    Christians are included, read the quote:
    Swine Flu has been declared by the UN's officials as an unstoppable Epidemic disease and people still keep asking why god did not allowed pork to be eaten or why we don't eat pork!

Dodara, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  20. imad

imad Peon

Best Answers:
    Muslims do not eat pork because they are forbidden to eat it by God.

Since Muslims believe in God, and truly put their trust in him, this is more than enough reason for them, and they would not try to look for more reasons.

for those who do not believe in God, or those who believe they can bribe God to forgive their sins, or those who have weak beliefs that would completely collapse when its about eating and stomach, then of course this will not be a reason to stop eating pork, in fact, if all reasons were recommending them to stop eating it, would they stop?

all people have the choice to eat it or not, whether they were believers or non, hypocrites, or people motivated by their stomach.

so I do not see the point in asking Muslims or Jews why do not you eat pork?

what do you expect their answer to be? and how it would effect you? let us try to examine:

- because it is forbidden by God?

do you believe in God? if you do not believe in God or religion, why would you want to know why some religions prohibit this?

- it is impure, and all the other reasons that fall under pork is not good for health?

so is smoking but so many do smoke, and wouldn't it be better to consult scientific studies about this? and if you found after consulting them, that it is not good for health, would you stop then?

so really, why would you want to know why Muslims and Jews do not eat pork?

imad, Jul 18, 2009 IP