1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Run a webserver from home, using Charter as an ISP

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by meroving, Jul 12, 2009.

I have charter home service 16Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up.

I current rent a deticated Linux webserver for 100 bucks a month. I want to set up a web server at my house but their TOS states that you cannot. Is there a way I can do this and them not realize I have one?

meroving, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  2. pitagora

pitagora Peon

Best Answers:
    they will realize it when you will start using 2Mb/s upload non-stop. At that point they will either reduce your speed up to a point that even surfing would be a challenge or cancel your service. My bet would be on the first. Keep in mind that your 2Mb/s is not guaranteed bandwidth. If it was, you'd be paying 50-100 bucks only for that. They can shrink it whenever they want to. By the way 2Mb/s is really small for a webserver. Our webserver has a symmetrical guaranteed(!!!) 4 MB/s (4 megabytes/s) bandwidth. That's 16 times your upload.

End-user internet connections are this cheap because they oversell like crazy. They are meant to be used for surfing and other normal activities. As soon as you start doing something serious they loose money and will step in!

pitagora, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  3. meroving

meroving Peon

Best Answers:
    I am relatively small and only host my own sites on the server. Maybe 3,500 hits a day combined with all of them. So the bandwidth on the up is not going to be that taxing.

I was more wondering if they could tell if I was hosting by other means besides that there was a lot of up bound traffic, I already sure I have that with the 10% of my upbound traffic dedicated to P2P torrents.

If there is a way they can tell, can I somehow mask the fact that it is web server type traffic

meroving, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  4. Nasedo

Nasedo Member

Best Answers:
    As some one who has worked in an ISP for a long time, you can easily tell and no, you can't mask.

Personally, I would just do it, they usually give you at least 1 chance so if they call and tell you to stop, just switch back to paid hosting. :p

Nasedo, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  5. starflame

starflame Guest

Best Answers:
    Your second problem comes if someone sends spam or abuse form your server. As you are a personal broadband customer you'll take the blame, possibly even banned from the ISP.

If the server is too expensive for you, maybe you should downgrade to something in the $50/month range.

starflame, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  6. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You will need a dedicated IP For this if u have that

Just Install Xampp and you will get started

Bohra, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  7. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are getting 3,500 hits a day why don't you go for shared hosting instead of dedicated hosting? You can get better shared hosting plan at a cost of $35-$50 per year and second option, you can go for a VPS.

kailash, Jul 12, 2009 IP