1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelance programmer how much is your income?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by irule272, Jun 20, 2009.

Hello guys I'm just curious on how much you guys earn/ month I'm talking to those who're full time programmer online and getting their job to a freelance website like odesk/rentacoder etc. If you can't give the exact amount just give atleast an estimate... And pls. kindly put your expertise and years of experience! Thanks!

I need some motivation :) Thanks!

irule272, Jun 20, 2009 IP
  2. xcesslogic

xcesslogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was a freelancer doing programming work as a part time with my job earlier and at that time used to earn approx 300$ per month .. later on my client base grew and income also increased... when I reached an average of 1000$ from freelance work I quit my job ( salary was 1500$) and converted my operations to a 5 people company ( including me ) .. now its anything around 3000-4000$ per month... ( profit after all expenses - approx 2500$ per month ) ... There are some times when the average dips and money is stuck but that gets balanced with good times also :)

However since we are in India this is a average income considering the fact that Now I am my own boss and have total freedom ..

Reasons for this small but steady growth : We don't take work blindly and do only what we can do with quality even if we are free and without work we don't take in what we cannot do with 100% quality

xcesslogic, Jun 21, 2009 IP
    irule272 likes this.
  3. irule272

irule272 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing your story and success xcesslogic! I'll repped you for that.

Any other freelancer there who wants to share their adventure in the freelance world?

Thanks!

irule272, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  4. franklyn

franklyn Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been working or rather trying to work freelance for the past few weeks. So far i've gotten one job and it was one of those "site clone" jobs . Needless to say the work wasnt very interesting , challenging , rewarding. I dont know what i'm doing wrong but its rather hard to find good jobs online.

franklyn, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  5. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My freelance income is going down hills , hope recession ends soon.

it career, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  6. Social.Network

Social.Network Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent! I respect engineers who are committed to designing and developing quality software. I have worked for companies, which were focused solely on revenue and often accepted contracts that were out of their domains. Needless to say, the projects were plagued with issues.

Social.Network, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  7. Social.Network

Social.Network Member

Best Answers:
    Do not get discouraged! I have worked on some great projects in the past, but have also worked on some horrible projects. If you are freelancing, you have full control over the projects you accept. If you need to make money, you have to be flexible. Also, send me your resume.

Social.Network, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  8. xcesslogic

xcesslogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Franklyn .. it_careers.. what domain are you working in as a freelancers?

We would also like to add one thing here... Not all projects go smooth, problems do happen ( infact very rare is the case where the project went totally smooth ) even after you take it with full care and consideration...

However... in case of problems the main thing is your attitude as a freelancer or a company... Here are some rules that we follow when something bad or unexpectd happens with a project..

1) Dont keep the client in dark about the problem you are facing
    2) Tell him as soon as possible that there is a potential problem and a delay etc is on the cards
    3) If something really bad or irrecoverable happens... tell the client what you can do to make it up for him...

Also its better if before taking the project you devote 2-3 days to check the risk areas.. or check on what areas are you dependent on some 3rd party.. we call it DE-RISKING in our company...

In our view - Although we are all working for money, but still with money we also work for good relationships and our own business satisfaction... ... Like for example if in any project if we get full money and the client is not happy ... then we dont consider the work as done ... this scenario means that we could not do the work properly..

NOTE : We are not sayin that there are no bad clients out there :) but its your own skills as a freelancer to recognise the client also early and refuse the work ( a bad and unreasonable client is also a potential risk area

xcesslogic, Jun 23, 2009 IP
    falconlink likes this.
  9. andyoi

andyoi Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for that advice. I have just been getting into freelancing and that seems like very helpful information

andyoi, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  10. techbongo

techbongo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen that franklyn is too upset.:eek::( In number of threads, he has told Freelancing is worthless.:rolleyes: Hope, recession ends soon and franklyn gets some interesting works.;)
    Cheer up!!! Freelancing is atleast better than those 3000 dollars per day scams...

techbongo, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  11. franklyn

franklyn Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the first time i've spoken about this . but thanks anyway.

franklyn, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  12. Cuong Hoang

Cuong Hoang Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    LOL, Are u serious ?... I quit working like Freelancer after get over 1000 $, and you are an Indian ? sorry i cant count on that :)

Cuong Hoang, Feb 14, 2013 IP
    falconlink likes this.
  13. falconlink

falconlink Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been watching that if anyone asking about earning of a freelancer, most of the people tell us a story of their group earnings, only few people are replying as individuals. Here the guy asking as an individual and we should tell him few individuals' success story. Please don't show him the sky. I'm sorry if I'm rude to you.

I'm also working individual php programmer since 2007. I have tried on different market places, but my luck not favored me there. I back to this forums and got few good clients and working with them directly. Some people tell about huge earnings, but I trust it's quite impossible for an individual to earn $2000/ month. Yes can, but you don't have time. Guess, how can you finish a project of $500 in a week? But, it will be a great amount if you can make $1500/ month.

Remember, your earning depends on your track. A forum poster can not make as a designer. So, you have to choose the platform and try to find out the buyers for your job. Then build relation with them and proof yourself better than others. Definitely, money will come to you, you not have to look for money.

Finally, grow your clients trust on you, build your skill, promote your identity and finally be honest in online market. You can win by cheat once, but you loose the client and his circle forever.

Thanks for your time.

falconlink, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  14. falconlink

falconlink Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mate, you're just a worker in market places. Buyers ask contractors to finish their project. If you can finish the project, just bid then, otherwise not. And all jobs are hard there. This is why buyers throw the jobs there for open.

falconlink, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  15. jeffsmith

jeffsmith Member

Best Answers:
    well it depends on multiple factors such as your country territory and nature of projects etc.

jeffsmith, Feb 15, 2013 IP