1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dropshipping CMS? (or can Wordpress be used?)

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Pixelrage, Jan 1, 2009.

I'm looking for dropshipping software and it is incredibly difficult to find - I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist :( Basically, I need software that will help me set up a site with a dropshipping company -- list all of their products in a 'store' format. It would somehow need an inventory tracking system.

It absolutely must have a full fledged email system that sends thank you/confirmation emails, emails when someone adds something to their cart but doesn't finalize the purchase after X amount of days, and a newsletter function to maintain a mailing list and reach out to customers once a month.

I'm still very new to dropshipping and am trying to create sites that will last in the long run, instead of painting myself into a corner and desperately needing features that I'd have to hire a freelancer for in a few months. If anyone has any recommendations for dropshipping software or CMSs, please talk about it here!

If it is possible to do this with Wordpress, that would be ideal. I just haven't seen any plugins that would be sufficient (inventory management, etc)

Pixelrage, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  2. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could use a shopping cart script like os commerce or zen cart. You may need to get it customized by a programmer to incorporate drop shipping specific features. Visit http://opensourcecms.com/ to check out a demo

abdussamad, Jan 1, 2009 IP
    Pixelrage likes this.
  3. BigBoy32724

BigBoy32724 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I just did one of my customers site which they use a drop shipping company. I used OSCommerce with a few modifications. If you are interested let me know.

Although I did see a site or 2 that used Word Press which was using a plugin on it. I'm not sure if it posses all the control abilities that you will need but I will do a lil search and see what I can come up with. Feel free to contact me anytime and once I find something out I'll point you in the direction and if you needed I could help you out at no charge of course.

BigBoy32724, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  4. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Mark,

I have just opened up a store and some of the products i sell are dropshipped. I use software called prestashop although any type of ecommerce site would be fine i think.

tony84, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much, everyone.

Just a question - how is it possible to use a shopping cart program or plugin for dropshipping? Wouldn't you need a system where a sale gets sent directly to the dropship warehouse for fulfillment? (or am I confused - I thought wholesale/dropshipping is where you sell products for a manufacturer and they store/ship the product)

Pixelrage, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  6. BigBoy32724

BigBoy32724 Peon

Best Answers:
    No,
    Once you receive the money all you have to do is pay the dropshipper and they will ship it to your customer.

BigBoy32724, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  7. mikeid22

mikeid22 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, please can you go your thread, http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1175021 and let me know what is happening with your service???

Thanks,

Mike

mikeid22, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  8. port23user

port23user Member

Best Answers:
    markn26, can you give a summary of your findings?

So far, the only ecommerce apps I've found that offer drop-shipping functionality are closed-source you-have-to-buy programs. I haven't found any open source ones yet. Dropshipping is an extremely commonly done thing--you'd think that it'd almost be a standard feature for an ecommerce package. It'd be really nice to have a plugin (or builtin functionality) for dropshipping...

port23user, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  9. Moose77

Moose77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Volusion offers autodropship functionality. Automatically sends an invoice to the supplier upon sale... via email or fax. Works great. You just need to coordinate with your supplier to make them aware of the method you'll be using to get them the orders. Everything is automatic. Not sure if that helps...

Moose77, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  10. port23user

port23user Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. Anybody know of free/open source packages?

port23user, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  11. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    This is still basically a big question of mine :(

So far, I have seen Magneto (which is by far an amazing program, but I still don't understand how this can be used for dropshipping), and PrestaShop.

Pixelrage, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  12. CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop Peon

Best Answers:
    Try looking online for an eCommerence script like Zen Cart. These will work really well, and have inventory features.

CrownVictoriaCop, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  13. port23user

port23user Member

Best Answers:
    That's just the problem! There's hundreds of ecommerce solutions available. But what we're looking for is dropshipping capability. Zen Cart does not support drop shipping. Nor does Magento or PrestaShop. Not yet at least.

port23user, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  14. CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop Peon

Best Answers:
    If all else fails, then you may need to hire a custom PHP coder to create a script for you or a modification of a script for dropshipping.

CrownVictoriaCop, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  15. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm beginning to think this way, too. I'm really afraid of this because it's going to cost thousands.

Is anyone here a member of World Wide Brands? They must have an answer to this question on their forum? I have been meaning to join.

Pixelrage, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  16. fthomas137

fthomas137 Peon

Best Answers:
    Been working in the same direction as you folks. What I've come up with is eshop. May be the answer as a plugin with wordpress. I haven't yet tried it, but will be.

Frank

fthomas137, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  17. Asif2BD

Asif2BD Peon

Best Answers:
    You could do it in various way. Zen Cart is the best, but as you preferred WordPress, i also prefer WordPress, we did some project like that, that have inventory and customer management system.
    Regards

Asif2BD, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  18. samjamjohnson

samjamjohnson Peon

Best Answers:
    You could try using Mailware plus a cart software. It keeps track of your orders, has dropshipping capabilities and an email system that sends out confirmation emails to your customers and reminds people when things have been left in their carts. Though, I’m not sure if Mailware’s email system can send out newsletters.

And unfortunately, Wordpress does not have those capabilities.

samjamjohnson, Oct 27, 2010 IP
  19. contentfreak

contentfreak Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    contentfreak, Jan 29, 2011 IP