1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the benefits of getting DMOZ listed ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JDF, Jun 4, 2009.

My site is DMOZ listed but I just wanted to know what are the benefits of it.

Thanks,
    JDF

JDF, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  2. blog8491

blog8491 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a great directory, I think backlink is powerful. That's the main reason.

blog8491, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  3. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think a listing in DMOZ is that much of a big deal. its a directory that Google uses along with other directories. so your site will have a few backlinks from a few good sites. is it worth paying for, no and I don't think it has that much of a benefit then sites that are not listed. I think alot of people make to much of a big deal about getting listed.

Having a website that offers content thats original that people link back to, share with others , add to there social bookmark sites is the best way to help your site, more so then any directory can do. I think many people focus on seo rather then the content there site/s offer.

Caesar1, Jun 4, 2009 IP
    JDF likes this.
  4. JDF

JDF Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks rep added

JDF, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  5. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    Increased traffic & Page Rank

Going Green, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  6. JDF

JDF Banned

Best Answers:
    Awesome, thanks :)

JDF, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Before you give thanks, check your facts, or rather, check the facts in the post you are replying too ;)

There is no real evidence of either traffic or a page rank increase from an ODP listing. About the only traffic you'll ever see is editors checking to see if your site is up to their standards or competing webmasters seeing if their site is better then yours. The "end user" is no longer the average web-surfer. The average web surfer now uses Yahoo or Google to find their information and most of them could not tell you what a directory is let alone what the ODP is.

What real perks you'll get from an ODP link is pretty much falls down to the ability to post about having it on forums like this one which CAN give both page rank and traffic ;)

Qryztufre, Jun 14, 2009 IP
    JDF likes this.
  8. JDF

JDF Banned

Best Answers:
    Ah thanks for the truth ;) Rep added

JDF, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  9. HBIC

HBIC Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you provide any facts to prove your statements.
    I receive some 5 to 10 visitors from DMOZ each month to one of my websites (which is only about my hobby). I doubt these are all editors and webmasters checking out what a great site I created. I agree it is not much and I receive many more visitors from Google but I am happy to get them.

DMOZ claims to have 4,615,773 sites listed. If each of these sites receives on average 1 visitor each month (end users) it might seem for each site that DMOZ is not worth it but in total some 4.6 million people used DMOZ to visit a site. I would call that usefull.

There are things I would like to change in DMOZ but I appreciate what they are doing.

HBIC, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I should have worded it better by adding a "depending on the category" to what I said, as some categories DO help out traffic wise, as some areas of the ODP are still popular in some circles. Though not as many as people would think.

In most of the threads here on Digital Point seem to point to the fact that little to no traffic results from a listing.

The total listings shown on the ODP front page never goes down. If they add 100 links today and remove 1000 that listed number goes up by 100 not down by 900.

over 10k CNN listings have been removed, that has not been reflected in the listing number. Recently AOL nixed their homepages, which is another 10K++ listing, these removals have not been reflected. Geocities are being NIXED and these numbers will not be reflected in the ODP site listing stats.

For the most part I agree with that :D

Qryztufre, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  11. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps that has something to do with the type of sites posters here own, and whether the ODP is making them any money?

Seems to me that if you really have a useful site, word of mouth alone would be enough to get you massive amounts of traffic, instead of having to resort to tricks.

If you're not a popular site, perhaps no amount of trickery will make you popular. :)

crowbar, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

It's clear by reading the posts on this forum that many SEO webmasters have misconceptions about how the ODP operates. That is pointed out all the time by ODP editors like yourself. However, it's also clear that many ODP editors have misconceptions about who all posts here and what types of webmasters are actually out there.

I am not an SEO webmaster. I have one SEO type website, the rest have NOTHING to do with it. A few of those sites are listed in the ODP and yet none of them get any traffic from DMOZ. So again, it does fall down to niche and category. Not who the editor is or who the webmaster is...

There are a good number of webmasters here that are really nothing more then web surfers that also happen to own a web page or three....that is something that many editors fail to realize. Just like many webmasters fail to realize that many editors are nothing more then websurfers that happen to also edit for a directory.

Are you saying that getting a DMOZ listing is trickery ;) :p

13. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think it's one of many tricks that people use to try to drive more traffic to their sites, and I honestly believe if you have a dynamite site, that people will come of their own accord. It shouldn't be neccessary to use the tricks of the trade.

If it isn't such a site, how would you get them to stay once they have visited it. Just seems a little senseless. :)

crowbar, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Then DMOZ editors are tricksters? As are the websurfers that submit the sites they like?

Sorry, DMOZ is not a "trick" it's a method TO get that word out. Like any other method... there is nothing tricky about it. Nothing shady, nothing sinister...at least there should not be.

If it's a trick for webmasters, then it's a trick for anyone else using it. And if it's a trick for webmasters, then that is exactly what the ODP was founded on... trickery, and that does not say a lot for those that volunteer for such work ;)

15. JDF

JDF Banned

Best Answers:
    Cool I'm glad my forum is DMOZ listed :)

JDF, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I think the trick is to use any method under the sun to get your site to come up at the top of the search page, not based on the actual value of the site, but on the tricks/methods you can employ to fool the search engine. An ODP listing seems to be the first step in the method.

That's my objection to seo.

For gamers, there are many sites that are useful, but from having actually used them a lot, thottbot.com is really the best one. It gets a lot of traffic because it's the best resource for in-game play. Not because of seo, but because it gives us what we need and want.

As far as search page results, I'd really like to see the cream rise to the top of the bottle because it really is the cream, and not a pretender using seo tricks/methods. ;)

crowbar, Jun 16, 2009 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    From such a comment, I take it you left the ODP again? Or are you really saying that the editors there are tricksters? To list a site as an editor, you are wanting the cream to rise? When I submitted sites that were not mine, that's certainly what I was wanting... is that trickery? Underhanded? SEO? IMHO, it's none of the above, though may certainly fall under each heading in one way or another.

Qryztufre, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  18. fred7

fred7 Member

Best Answers:
    I already submitted my blog to DMOZ since 2 months ago but I haven't approved yet.. Why this happen?

fred7, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    1. It's not worthy
    2. No one has gotten to it yet
    3. If you asking in this thread is any indication of you following guidelines, you did something wrong.

Qryztufre, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  20. hasmat

hasmat Peon

Best Answers:
    I also think there is no big role of directories. original think is ur content.

hasmat, Jul 7, 2009 IP