1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extremelyfastcash

extremelyfastcash Peon

Best Answers:
    firefox is the way to go it's always fast.

extremelyfastcash, May 28, 2009 IP
  2. ssc_gt

ssc_gt Peon

Best Answers:
    microsoft doesn't care about web standards, they're just tired of hearing the complaining and just became the last browser in the world to become CSS 2.0 compliant. CSS 3.0 is here already. Microsoft released IE 8, with absolutely no concern in the world for CSS 3.0.. The acid test shows that. Microsoft could be the winner in the browser war but they just don't care enough. If there's one company in the whole world who could just blow out all their competition if they wanted to, it would be Microsoft.

ssc_gt, May 29, 2009 IP
  3. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Untrue. Put the proper DOCTYPE at the top of the page, and IE is 100% compliant with standards. Do you know how to do that?

Corwin, May 30, 2009 IP
  4. liammarksmith

liammarksmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I will never go back to IE even with IE8 being so light and powerfull. I dont like anything microsoft, i only use my windows pc for gaming, my mac for programming and my linux machine for every other day to day things like checking email! Firefox is great! I can run all my addons on every platform and sync my bookmarks etc

liammarksmith, May 30, 2009 IP
  5. yogesh sarkar

yogesh sarkar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even though I usually use firefox, I found IE8 to be faster and better.

yogesh sarkar, May 30, 2009 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely false! Only an incompetent would make such a statement. IE8 is 11 years behind all other web browsers and inept at best. See my link below, corwin. Though I've told you that before and you don't seem to be able to do so.

drhowarddrfine, May 30, 2009 IP
  7. theposter44

theposter44 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think IE can be more fast but also with a spyer for windows

theposter44, May 30, 2009 IP
  8. FusedLayer

FusedLayer Peon

Best Answers:
    IE 8 has improved a lot but it still crashes on me for some reason. Firefox is the best in my opinion.

FusedLayer, May 30, 2009 IP
  9. feranm_ie8team

feranm_ie8team Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a Compatibility View List which identifies most sites that need compatibility mode. However, it is not necessarily permanent as the developer can have their site removed from the list by following a few easy steps to ensure IE8 compatibility for the particular website. Here is some more information regarding such:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd567845(VS.85).aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/03/30/compatibility-view-list-and-ie8-rtw.aspx

Thanks,
    Feran

feranm_ie8team, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. Just like Hamesch and Wilson. Blame it on the developers who did what Microsoft told them to do and now you say it's their fault.

Of course, now developers know that following Microsoft's advice and using IE as a test bed is the worst thing anyone can do. It gets you banished to Microsoft's standards hell.
    Oh! Did you write each individual author to make sure they are aware of that? And, please tell us, what is IE8 compatibility mode compared to W3C web standards compatibility? Is Microsoft saying they aren't the same thing? Is Microsoft saying, out of one corner of their mouth, "We support the W3C!" and out of the other corner there's this IE8 mode?

And while we're on the subject, Feran, where's the "strong support for HTML5" that Dean promised in IE8? Or was that just a lie?

I mean, I know Wilson was really depressed lately and finally quit the IE development team. Does this mean he really has a conscious?

drhowarddrfine, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  11. robben

robben Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes IE got a lot of improvement ...... but it a burden on the computer memory...... therefore i like to use firefox......

robben, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  12. ArticleScholar

ArticleScholar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I need to try IE 8 :)

ArticleScholar, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  13. wojwoda

wojwoda Peon

Best Answers:
    I used IE 8 from RC stage. It's good, and (for me) best out-of-box web browser.

+ fast (faster than Firefox 3.0.x on many pages - still no match for WebKit based browsers, and I would say for Opera, too)
    + very secure (my Vista based PC has got zero adware and spyware which I can't say for IE 7)
    + accelerators are fantastic future
    + best history search
    + many futures out of box (for which you need add ons in Firefox)
    + with IE7pro is killer combination

- need 4-5 seconds to open new tab (my main frustration)
    - memory leak (almost terrible like Firefox but contrary to FF, it doesn't slow down Windows (Vista Home Premium in my case))
    - interface is probably the worst from all web browsers

This is my list:
    1. SRWare Iron 2.x (my default web browser)
    overall very Spartan but very fast browser with superb memory usage (I never saw better and lower memory usage), and without Google privacy spying; just to add it is absolutely terrible browser for printing web pages :(
    2. IE 8
    excellent out-of-box
    2. Opera 9.6x
    excellent out-of-box (too bad I have problem with log ins in some sites & forums with Opera :()
    4. Safari 4 beta
    insane speed, many good futures, but memory leak is huge, and for some unknown reasons it crashes a lot of in my laptop
    5. Firefox 3.0.x
    poor out-of-box, extensions are great, but they slow down start up time (my Vista faster loads than FF 3 with 37 extensions :rolleyes:), memory leak is huge (not as Safari), it crashes from time to time (in my laptop).
    Flock is excellent for Web 2.0 people :D.

Anyway, in Linux, Firefox is the best.

wojwoda, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely false! All versions of IE are the least secure browser on the planet.
    How so?
    And features you may not want, but Firefox has far, far more features through add-ons than you will ever see in IE.
    Whatever that is.
    Memory leaks are a myth. Users will never notice any leaks in FF.
    Have to agree with you there.
    Never even heard of it.
    Technically incompetent. 11 years behind all other browsers in current standards and practices. A virus magnet.
    Agree except for the crashes. Never happens to me so it must be your setup.
    What is with you people and your startup times?
    Again, a myth. Users will never notice memory leaks in FF. Fix your system.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  15. B.Kenis

B.Kenis Peon

Best Answers:
    I still use Firefox because of the addons. IE8 is still less powerful than FF in my opinion and I don't have problems with FF

B.Kenis, Jun 7, 2009 IP
  16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that, after you have more experience as a Webmaster, you'll learn how to build cross-browser compatible websites. So, don't get discouraged.

Do you have enough experience to learn how to insert a DOCTYPE at the head of your webpages? Many novices like you ignore this amazingly useful tag. It takes IE out of "quirks mode" (look that up) and forces a more consistent behavior across all the different browsers out there. It's really a delight!

An experienced professional webmaster rarely has a problem with cross-browser compatibility - unless you are attempting to do something very silly and showy with CSS?

If you can show me an example of your code that doesn't work well with IE, I'll do my best to help you. It's usually something childishly simple.

Corwin, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  17. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Howard, Howard, Howard. There you go again. Only an incompetent would write as you do.

Howard, I looked at your links and none of them address DOCTYPE, which is what you were respnding to. Can you show me on any of your personal links, which of them address the DOCTYPE issue? Please show me in your links where the DOCTYPE issue is addressed.

And, gee - Firefox has over 200 vulnerabilities? Wow, I feel safer already.

Listen up, cupcake - it doesn't take 1000 or 200 or 20 vulnerabilities to infect your computer. It takes only one. And if your firewall is down and your antivirus is impotent, your computer will become vulnerable and I don't care what browser you use.

Do you understand how firewalls and antivirus work?

Corwin, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  18. jimhap

jimhap Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing about browsers - IE8 strives, but FAILS to be good.
    M$ knows they're losing. And the IE market share drops down and down...

Firefox is OK in security - but it isn't perfect.
    Firefox DOES have a memory leak - a severe one. At one moment, it would take around 750MB of memory - kinda outrageous for a browser, eh?

IE is an epic fail as well - too slow! Eats tons of memory and is slow.
    Security problems, etc. - not something I would EVER use.

As for security, there is one thing that all of you DON'T realize -
    it is somehow related to the browser, but it all depends on the SYSTEM ITSELF.

M$ is too lazy to distribute patches. Ever wonder why there's such things as viruses? Because there are exploits. There are exploits that are NEVER fixed by M$, and viruses run free. The only reason the antivirus industry exists is because M$ lets it exist.

Linux's exploits are fixed quickly and handed out as updates.
    Simple as that.
    M$ just was too lazy to even bother.

It's a practical solution to fix the system....but in a world of greed and stupidity, how the heck will that ever get fixed?

jimhap, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It's simple, stupid. Leaving off the doctype is NOT a bug. ALL browsers are in quirks mode and should be without one! But YOU didn't know that. But you still fail to understand it still puts IE8 11 years behind all other because YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND TECHNICAL SPECS.

If IE8 is fully standards compliant, why doesn't it render XHTML served as application/xml+xhtml, corwin? Answer that?
    If IE8 is fully standards compliant, why does it fail all DOM tests since 1998? Answer that?

corwin, I bet you think the web is only html and css, don't you.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    If that were true, everyone would see that. It's not true.
    You ARE correct here. The target of viruses is not the browser but the operating system. Though all browsers have holes in them somewhere, IE has more than all others combined and is easier to penetrate than all the others (as stated by the winner of the cracking contest recently).

drhowarddrfine, Jun 8, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.