1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seo for your images

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GFX^^, Jul 24, 2006.

I wrote a blog post about how to rank well for your images at google image search, here is the Image Seo Guide

GFX^^, Jul 24, 2006 IP
    Bondat and Tyler Banfield like this.
  2. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    I like what you've said there in your blog. But I think you should post this on more appropriate category so that more will appreciate your blog.

Bondat, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  3. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of timeframe have you guys noticed in getting your pictures indexed? My blog posts are indexed every couple days, but I haven't had any of the pictures within the posts indexed so far...

Tyler Banfield, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  4. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    If you have google site maps there is a wealth of knowledge on your images top keywords, ranking in image search and clicks.

Can't really say how long it takes to find/rank/trust an image, but if it is keyword specific, you will notice it when it starts to show in sitemaps.

One other thing- I've carefully looked at the alt keyword definition and made sure I followed guidelines to describe the pic. I do not use the "longdesc" tag. (too much work) And following guidelines I do not use alt to stuff keywords- I use carefully selected words to really describe the pictures on my site, in sentence format, as if you could not see the image..

AFAIK, keyword stuffing was an old trick (that worked) in the past, but I think the se's must consider this in the alg. as at least google is tracking image rank vs. clicks from the description in the the alt tag, (and I can verify I am ranking specifically for my alt text in images).

Image ranking does not seriously interest me, BUT, I do think ranking/clicks for an image, and using alt appropriately can improve trust. :)

I am not trying to imply any of you are stuffing keywords. - but I just wanted to share my tips and thoughts that I have on what is working for me. The "trust" part is what I care about really.

corinaw, Jul 24, 2006 IP
    Bondat likes this.
  5. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they only update image search every few months - I have a couple of 'picture rich' tourism sites, one took about 3 months and the other closer to six months to be indexed. Being included properly in image search has made a big difference to visitor numbers in these sites. The indexing of images was not a gradual process, just one day I start being found for lots of image searches.

I have noticed that my main competitors (who score higher than me) for these sites do use 'keyword stuffing' in the ALT text, and also have descriptions and titles that are sometimes hundreds of words long, with a high rate of repeated words, which makes me despair - why don't I do the same? - I don't and won't but it is irritating all the same.

Rasputin, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  6. superclick

superclick Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice article, I did some of tis things already for some of sites where I have only images, but I'll improve now.

superclick, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  7. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    You also need to look at the age and the number of back links of your competitors’ site, some times they rank higher just due to age of the domain.

But, since I want my site to last, and I want to minimize any alg fluctuations, in the long run following the real www tag definitions is the way to go.

Measuring (but not sure how they measure) alt tags for spam or repetitive keywords is a good way for the se's to assess a site for keyword accuracy.

corinaw, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  8. Muffin_man

Muffin_man Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, do you think that ranking well in google images will deliver many people to my site? I mean I know that it won't be as many as if you were to great a search ranking but hey...It's something

Muffin_man, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  9. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey muffin man,
    I do not care about ranking in google images- but mine is a content (words) site
    My pics are just frosting. The folks that visit with google images are just looking for pics to use. They do not read my content, or visit my ads, I think they just view or copy my pics.

corinaw, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  10. Wiep

Wiep Peon

Best Answers:
    My website is about 2 years old, my homepage image has steadily risen to the first page of about 183.000 results in about a year and a half. At the last update, it got ranked 3rd, which provides me around 100 uniques a day...

Wiep, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, usually I think Corinaw is right, people want to see or 'borrow' a picture of something rather than look at the info.

All the same, I guess a percentage of these visitors must then be attracted to look at something else on the page or the site, so I am generally pleased to have visitors from images. Being a tourist site, if just one of these visitors a year books a holiday through my site that is good for me, and hopefully the pictures get them in the right frame of mind. Depends a lot on your type of site I think.

Rasputin, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  12. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, those iudeas menioned in the blog are some of the key aspects of image SEO'ing.

qwestcommunications, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  13. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    most people just search for images to copy which isnt a good thing

chachacallis, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  14. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use Alt tags to optimize image site

infonote, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  15. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't worth it imo..not that much traffic..and you image will be hotlink(for sure) and you loss you bandwidth

ahkip, Jul 25, 2006 IP