1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ is dead or is it? Please post if you got approved lately!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by venetsian, May 4, 2009.

1. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't follow that category or know what the criteria is for that sections listings. as for the term 'reputable' thats an opinion and its not a factor I use for listing sites nor do I use its rankings in google, backlinks ect, just the content the site has.

Caesar1, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then why do you even post here about things that you don't know and you don't care? :rolleyes:

Are you trying to show that you are a real DMOZ YES MAN, so they will give right to edit a new category? ;)

gworld, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  3. Lori Wakin

Lori Wakin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's that?
    What does that $0.02 mean?:confused:

Lori Wakin, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    It's an American expression meaning "my opinion, for what it's worth"

crowbar, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  5. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I really think there's a language problem, but I'll try to answer you.

This is the category description:
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Multimedia/Music_and_Audio/Audio_Formats/MP3/News_and_Media/desc.html

In addition to this, there is an extremely large editors forum for this area of the Directory that will give you tons of specific advice for listing sites there, and there are category descriptions for every category above this one, right here:
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/desc.html

And, of course, you will have to learn and follow these main Guidelines located here:
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/

Notice how all of these guidelines and category descriptions are open to the public, like yourself? Nothing is hidden.

Now that you've pointed out how old the news is there, are you going to spend your own free time, apply to become the editor for that category, and list more timely news articles for it? Are you going to volunteer to fix it?

If you say no, that's perfectly fine, you obviously have no interest in using your time that way. As a volunteer editor, I also have no interest in that particular category, and wish to spend my time editing things that I do have an interest in. Obviously, other current editors also have no interest in editing there, and as this is a hobby, not a listing service, that's perfectly fine too.

If you say yes, bravo, you will become an editor and make that category shine with more current listings, following the same Guidelines that every other editor follows, to make that category a useful resource for the information seeker. (not for the owners of the listings)

While doing this, you'll be allowed to volunteer as much or as little time as you wish to, because you are freely donating your own time and expertise for the benefit of others. You will receive no thank you nor recognition for doing so, in fact, no one will know or care about your efforts, but you will have the great satisfaction of knowing you did something important to improve that category. :)

This is what it's like for every editor.

crowbar, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are there millions? What is the exact number? I know that what is listed on the ODP main page has never decreased... so if a site is added and removed then the numbers only go up!

Is DP one of the "no quality" sites? Maybe... it IS banned by at least one social networking site, and IS owned by an editor ;) :p

Qryztufre, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  7. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    This can easily be seen by looking:
    The fact that AOL may not update it every day does not alter the fact that there are more than just a few sites listed there. ;)
    And in case it slips from notice, I repeat my challenge to gworld and others:
    We have been waiting for well over a week, and still nothing ... ???

makrhod, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Those numbers NEVER go down though... to say that such numbers are accurate is false and at best misleading...which is something Gworld is being accused of ;) :p

As for what sites of yours you have listed, I really do not know or even really care... but there is proof that editor sites have been and are being treated differently then other submitted sites. The FACT that the submission queue is OPTIONAL points to that FACT, as does the unfair listing of the 10K++ topix listings. I know that not ALL of the senior editors, or any editor's sites are treated differently then any other site, BUT some sites are given different treatment which can and does lead many to believe it's across the board, especially when such unfair treatment IS supported by the AOL staff.

9. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Did anyone say they were "accurate"? I pointed out that AOL do not keep such things up to date, and besides, I directed attention to those figures in response to the claim that DMOZ listed only "a few" sites, which is a hilariously false statement.
    Who cares if it the site count is 4,325,126 or 3,576,123 or whatever - the point is that it is still by far the largest human-edited directory. :)

Really? Please give details of this "proof" here, and/or file a Public Abuse report. Otherwise you are merely parrotting gworld's incessantly unsubstantiated tripe, as I said ...

makrhod, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It'll fall on deaf ears... but again, TOPIX is unfairly listed and IS an affiliated site of a senior editor. I keep pointing that out, yet you seem to keep ignoring the FACT that over 10 thousand (thats OVER TEN THOUSAND) deep links that have been automatically listed NOT by a HUMAN, but by a BOT! Most of those deep links are not even in compliance with the guidelines of the ODP, as they are little more then bot-fed syndicated pages in and of themselves.

And to back up his other unsubstantiated tripe you've already made it clear that showing POSITIVE feed back on COMPLETED transactions for a DMOZ listing is NOT valid proof in your eyes... so once again, what PROOF do you need?

You and Gworld can go back and forth all you'd like... but keep in mind, how can he back up ANY of his claims if you are not willing to accept the evidence given? He has backed up several of his claims with 3rd party resources, and yet all you can counter with is "you still have not given proof" or "that is not proof" so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us what proof you need.

11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If she was really looking for proof she could have read many of old threads started by me in this forum which provides more than enough proof. But after hearing her constant rant which is nothing more than nonsense as you and others have noticed, I have come to conclusion that either makrhod is a woman in that time of the month and that is the reason her brain is not functioning properly or she ignores the fact on purpose because she knows who butters her bread. ;)

gworld, Jun 4, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  12. binh

binh Peon

Best Answers:
    After reading a blog post about how some editors got into DMOZ, I found out the most important thing:

If you want to be an editor and remain one, you must NOT have your own sites, your friend's sites, your relative sites, your neighbor's sites on DMOZ. The website go listed by YOURSELF, or SOMEONE else doesn't matter, as soon as we found out it associate with you, it's removed and YOU ARE REMOVED.

Proof? Here: http://blog.dmoz.org/2007/10/26/i-heart-dmoz-why-i-joined-and-why-i-love-it/

The banned editors had his site de-listed and his editor account removed and never can get in again, without any clarifications.

Mean while the "clean editor" who claimed always being treated nicely, "accidentally" revealed that "he owns 10 websites, but none of which listed in DMOZ".

http://blog.dmoz.org/2007/10/26/i-heart-dmoz-why-i-joined-and-why-i-love-it/#c8375984

So laigh from DMOZ, sorry to say this, but that simply mean 1 things, either:

- Your 10 sites all suck and you are not a real webmaster. OR
    - You work hard for DMOZ but never paid off.

Funny isn't it? The open directory restricts it's own editors... So how much you editors got paid? NONE!

I originally wanted to apply to be an editor, but now I feel "No, thanks". I'd rather build good websites and get someone else who like it "happen to find it". At least that a chance my site got listed, right?

Otherwise I have to quit being a webmaster to start being a monk of DMOZ... yes, someone who work hard to expect no return of interest, except JOY. Did I mention JOY? Yes, being able to edit other people's sites and play with them like if you are god.

Sorry guys, I originally had no conflict with DMOZ but after reading that post I feel like: Pick a fight with the giant.

I'm not an anti-free world, but what I believe is fair-trade. If someone work hard and make a good website, even that person is an editor of DMOZ the website should be listed. Even that's intentionally listed by the editor, then please take that as a PAYMENT for his service.

this cost me too much time. Hope no one read it... plz don't ban me for saying the truth. This DP is in US right? Please keep your "Freedom of Speech". Thanks.

binh, Jun 4, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  13. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use some common sense and read, you can clearly see how I replied to his posts, until he talked about that category and what other editors do.

LOL you are so mature with these kid like labels.

Caesar1, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  14. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have two site listed and I'm an editor? infact I have about 7 sites listed in my affiliations. I suggest you find out all the facts behind your claim.

Caesar1, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  15. binh

binh Peon

Best Answers:
    Caesar1,

So there is still some DMOZ editors still survive on DP without getting banned. No i only have partial fact about the situation and I said my opinion about what I saw.

Thanks for revealing you have 2 of your sites listed, so do you dare reveal then your DOMZ editor id and your site URLs? If you can do that here and a week later you haven't got any warning or any ban any fraction reaction from DMOZ "bosses" or other editors then the fact will be proven that I'm wrong, and I will apologize for my ignorance. Till then, I still have the right to assume my assumption.

:)

Just my bare thoughts, please don't get angry at me.. smiles :)

binh, Jun 5, 2009 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm an editor, binh, for 8 years now, and I've always used my editor name here. I don't have any sites now, but when I first applied to be an editor, one of my three example sites in the application form was my own business site.

I made it very clear that it was my own site on the application form and I was accepted within three days. You're most certainly welcome to look at my profile, which is crowbar, same name I use here.

Editors are encouraged to find sites that have unique content on them, no matter where they are found, so if an editors own site has that content for a particular category, he is really obligated to list it. Not doing so would be a reverse discrimination, not listing a site that an information seeker would find of value for that category because it belonged to him.

Along with that goes the responsibility to treat it the same way every other site in that category is treated. Not doing so could be cause for removing editing privileges.

The only editors who are banned, along with their sites, are editors who misused the trust that was placed in them, as they should be.

Sorry, but you misunderstand what editors do. We are not a listing service, we build categories (collections) of sites that an information seeker will find useful. In doing that, we try to find sites that have something a little different than the other sites listed in that category. (Unique content)

We don't want every site, only the sites that make the category more useful to the information seeker, and no site has a "right" to be listed. That's not playing God, that's editing a category for the benefit of no one but the information seeker, and yes, the only reward we get is the self satisfaction of doing a good job, or trying to do a good job. :)

crowbar, Jun 5, 2009 IP
  17. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes infact I believe the owner of this site was an editor and listed this site.

My editor name is the same as my username for this site, Caesar1 and my sites are in my siggy. I used each of those sites in the example site when I applied to be an editor. I know many editors that have a site listed in the directory. the problems happen when either you don't disclose everything or when an editor attempts to control a catagory by removing competitor links ect.

:)

I know your entitled to your own opinion, the problems happen when you suggest those opinions as facts. I never get angry, I only get even!

Caesar1, Jun 5, 2009 IP
  18. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL....I know that on DP almost everyone wants to "bag out" DMOZ, treat them like they are a Secret Service and out to get people, but it's not true.

DMOZ dont care about Editors owing sites, they only get concerned if you use your position as an editor to unfairly promote your site, or to intentionally detract from the other sites. I have an ecommerce website which is listed and two directories which are NOT listed, because they do not meet the guidelines.

I edit the categories that directly apply to my two directories but if i listed them, that would be abuse. They are non-compliant and do not meet the guidelines for listing.

Freedom of speech is a great thing and i can honestly say that no Editor or Admin involved in DMOZ has ever tried to stop me, coerce me or guide me from making any comments. I have never been reprimanded for making any comments, nor recieved an email about any comments.

I should however point out that for ethical reasons and common courtesy, if I had any adverse comments, i would make them on the internal editors forum and not in an open forum such as DP. This is because they belong in there, not out here and thats just how things are done, and should be done.

....And believe me, there are many "vigorous discussions" in the internal forums because in there, all Editors from newbees, to lesser experienced and right up to Admin, are allowed to express their opinion. Like any "family", opinions differ, voices get raised and squabbles occur....but when it boils down, everyone is allowed to speak their mind, express their opinions and argue their point, as long as they do so respectfully, with courtesy and in what is considered to be a reasonable manner. :)

Im afraid a lot of the hype you hear around here, is just that....it's hype :)

snooks, Jun 5, 2009 IP
    HBIC likes this.
  19. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    So true, I have a total of 7 sites but only two are listed. I know if I apply for a new section they will let me know about it, thats if they hadn't already.

Caesar1, Jun 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  20. mixers30

mixers30 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    interesting topic

mixers30, Jun 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.