1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Look, any browser can threaten your security if you don't have a properly configured firewall or antivirus. I don't care what browser you are using, any browser will let you download an infected file to your hard drive, and it's up to you to decide whether or not to run it.

Internet Explorer 6,7,8, etc has more configuration options than any other browser. If you configure it correctly, you will be safe. Configure it incorrectly, you will be unsafe. PERIOD.

Firefox and Chrome are less configurable, but you are just as vulnerable to threats as with IE if you do something stupid.

No amount of preventative browser technology will guarantee your safety if you do something that is careless and dumb.

If you fall asleep on railroad tracks and get hit by a train - don't blame the train!

All you people that claim that IE is not secure are proving is that you are not technically adept enough to configure the browser options properly. And that is the complete truth. If you think IE is unsafe, then you don't know how to properly set the options, especially the ActiveX and cookie options and the security controls.

The only beef I have with IE is that it runs JavaScript extremely slowly when compared to Firefox and Chrome.

But, seriously - if you think IE is unsecure, then you obviously don't know how to configure IE.

Never blame on technology what can be properly blamed on a careless user.

Corwin, May 27, 2009 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    However, IE has more backdoors to the operating system than any other browser that can let trojans/virus start on their own without little help from the user.
    Absolutely false. Firefox is far more configurable than any version of IE and no configuration of IE is safe no matter what you do. Where is the 'about:config' in IE?
    Again, absolutely false!
    See the link above. You're wrong.
    Then you don't create web pages or write code for the browser. See the links in my sig. IE8 is 11 years behind all other browsers in modern standards and practices and the worst browser on the planet by far.

drhowarddrfine, May 27, 2009 IP
  3. k87

k87 Peon

Best Answers:
    firefox will always b my favorite coz of extentions and addon. also userfriendly

k87, May 27, 2009 IP
  4. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    firefox is a resource hog. It uses too much RAM and crashes after long hours of browsing.
    IE is more stable and less resource intensive and starts up quickly

vic_msn, May 27, 2009 IP
  5. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly....I don't know how web professionals saying IE8 better then FF without extensions ?
    Strange...

letsjoy, May 27, 2009 IP
  6. Waizujin

Waizujin Peon

Best Answers:
    Waizujin, May 27, 2009 IP
  7. sourcez

sourcez Peon

Best Answers:
    Whaa :eek:

On basic computers you wouldn't believe how many IE problems we get. And they were all updated last week - still got issues. Screen freezes, cookie problems and web pages not showing up the same as in EVERY OTHER BROWSER.

Although to be fair it could be vista as the whole network is Vista.

sourcez, May 27, 2009 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:

Absolutely false on all counts. IE uses resources that are hidden because it's built into Windows and you can't see them. Plus, FF uses memory to cache pages for faster context switching. It uses available memory because that's what it's for. It's available! Isn't that what you bought it for? Besides, you can reduce FF memory usage in about:config and/or options.

9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    From your link:

10. jawin

jawin Peon

Best Answers:
    Sharing research by PC World :

In our browser speed comparison, we pitted a near-final build of Internet Explorer 8 against Firefox 3.0.7, the current non-beta version of Mozilla's browser. We used a set of nine popular Web sites in our testing: Amazon, MySpace, Yahoo, PC World, YouTube, Microsoft, Apple, eBay, and Wikipedia. To ensure we could gather as accurate page-loading times as possible, we recorded our testing sessions for review later on.

We loaded each site ten times in each of the browsers and repeated the process the following day to rule out any network traffic or server issues. Prior to each test run, we cleared the browsers' caches as well. We also repeated the load tests to ensure that we had sufficient data to identify loading speed trends. To ensure consistent results, we performed testing on a fresh Windows Vista installation, and we reinstalled the operating system before each round of testing. Additionally, we removed the two best and two worst scores for each page load test to produce more consistent results.

Browser testing can be tricky, as different browsers measure page loading progress differently, so getting a read of page load times strictly by the browser's progress bar could result in inaccurate or inconsistent results. Have all the images appeared? Are there elements of the page that have yet to load even though the browser's status indicator suggests otherwise? These are questions we take into account when testing browsers. Given this, we took into account visual indications of a page's loading progress, rather than relying on what the browser's progress bars told us.

The Speed-Test Results

By and large, we found that Internet Explorer 8 performed well, and beat out Firefox 3.0.7 in the majority of our time trials.

However, IE 8's performance advantage is relatively negligible. In most of our testing, IE 8's advantage was half a second or less. One notable exception, however, was in loading the English-language Wikipedia home page, where IE 8 beat out Firefox by an average of one second (IE 8 took about 2.2 seconds to load the page on average, while Firefox 3 took about 3.3 seconds). Also of note: on average, IE 8 loaded Apple's home page nearly twice as quickly as Firefox.

IE 8 is Faster, But Will You Notice?

In practical, everyday use, you likely won't notice much of a difference between IE 8 and Firefox 3. Due to the fact that broadband connections are so commonplace today, and the fact that browsers in general can load pages faster than they could even a couple years ago, the page load time differences between the two are relatively moot. If you use Firefox and are happy with it, you may as well stick with it. That said, it is encouraging to see browser vendors compete with each other, and aim to ship the fastest Web browsers they possibly can.

jawin, May 27, 2009 IP
  11. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IE sux they can make it Version 15 ....

w3bmaster, May 27, 2009 IP
  12. cyber_demon12

cyber_demon12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I say FF is way better than IE8. Plus, I have heard that many people that have installed IE8 are no longer able to access the internet and it f**ks up your pc. So I would recommend not downloading it yet...

If you do download it, I would suggest that you keep the old IE or a different internet thingy (gosh forgot what its called :/ I'm talkin about FF or Google Chrome or whatever).

cyber_demon12, May 27, 2009 IP
  13. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To use your own phrase, drhowarddrfine, you are absolutely false on all counts. You are wrong, and your lack of experience is showing.

And I don't know where you get off claiming that IE has "backdoors" to the OS. "Backdoors"? How? You're not serious, are you? If you properly configure the browser from day one, and then restrict ActiveX controls, I know of absolutely no vulnerable backdoors unless you have the doors unlocked and open.

IE's claimed vulnerability is the ability to run ActiveX controls. If you are using Windows, and are inexperienced enough to use an Administrator account for your daily login, and you have IE set to allow any ActiveX control to download, then you are just as dumb as someone who parks their car with their doors unlocked with the keys in the ignition.

If your daily Windows login is a limited user account, and you have IE configured so that ActiveX controls are restricted, then your browsing is completely and totally safe. I really doubt that there is any hypothetical that you can come up with, drhowarddrfine, that would even remotely threaten the security of such a system.

Corwin, May 27, 2009 IP
  14. marozasi

marozasi Peon

Best Answers:
    Internet Explorer might be more powerful, but the question is is it more realiable than Firefox when we are talking about security issues?

marozasi, May 27, 2009 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Lack of experience? 36 years in the computer industry is lack of experience?
    Well, kid, in case you hadn't heard, Internet Explorer has components which are part of the operating system. That's why you can't uninstall IE, despite anything you might have read anywhere else. This is one of the reasons why it's so open to attack and also why the US Justice Department and the EU filed and won $2 billion dollars in fines against Microsoft over the years. I'm surprised, with your vast experience, you aren't aware of this.
    Configure what and where? You mean under Internet Options in the toolbar? Are you kidding me?
    Sure. Why don't you turn the whole thing off.
    I gave one link that shows graphs from Secunia. Do you need more? You get to it by clicking on blue underlined text in my previous post.

It looks like your only argument is ActiveX, as if any sane developer would use that anymore, or any sane cracker would bother to use that to get in. There are hundreds of other avenues that any experienced programmer knows of. Once you get experience, you might know them, too, but experienced programmers don't use Internet Explorer....or Windows either for that matter.

16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, hey, drhowarddrfine, I noticed that you ignored my remark about making your daily login a Limited User Account (LUA) and restricting ActiveX controls in IE.

Because - guess what - if your daily login is a LUA, there is no backdoor to the OS because a LUA has no access to the OS.

Yes, I saw your link. It looks like Windows & IE is configured with the doors unlocked, the windows rolled down, and the keys in the ignition.

I suspect, drhowarddrfine, that either you are a novice without the experience you pretend to have, or you have the wrong type of experience. A LUA with restricted ActiveX is a safe computer with no backdoors, despite your sad attempt at posturing.

Corwin, May 27, 2009 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I hardly did.
    If you think Secunia doesn't know what they're doing and you do then I suggest you bring that up with them.
    There are enough people on many forums who know me going back many, many years. I worked in television/radio and the film industry. If you ever had eye surgery, there's a 50/50 chance my machine, hardware and software, helped do it. I worked at SGI and Pixar as a systems engineer. And one of the largest restaurant chains in the world, their web site backend is coded by me. And I was invited to become a Firefox developer but just don't have the time.

18. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    drhowarddrfine, you claim to have 46 years experience (I only have 32 years. Want to talk VAXes?). So, stop leaning on what other people have said, stop the sad damage-control posturing, forget your silly little excuses and please dazzle me with your knowledge:

o A Windows XP Pro computer,
    o Windows firewall
    o Popular Trend Micro antivirus.
    o Daily login is a Limited User Account (LUA).
    o IE7 is initially configured with normal ActiveX controls (Flash, Windows Update, Java, WMP, XML, Google Toolbar, and everything else that comes with IE).
    o 3rd party cookies disabled.
    o Downloading of all new ActiveX controls disabled (after above ActiveX controls installed)
    o Windows Updates run from an Admin account twice monthly

My experience and knowledge tells me that the above configured computer is as safe as a bank vault, and that there are no known backdooors to the OS. And any attempt by IE to modify system files will draw an "unauthorized user" error.

O.K., that's my experience. For the above computer system, please draw upon your 46 years of experience and write about a specific scenario where the OS is vulnerable because of Internet Explorer.

Corwin, May 27, 2009 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    See, you're going off on the wrong tangent. In order to protect Windows and IE, you have to put up all that just to save it, but then you are saying IE is safe! If IE is so safe, why does it need all that protection?!

It doesn't work anyway. If it did, you wouldn't have everyone scurrying about every time a new virus is introduced. You don't constantly hear of such things with other browsers. You don't have weekly updates because there's some new security hole like IE and Windows has. You don't have to cripple Firefox or Opera or Safari like you have to in IE for security reasons.

What I'm saying is, despite all this you put up, it does not change the fact that IE is still the most vulnerable browser and has more vulnerabilities than all other browsers combined. The best known security company, Secunia, says so. Security experts say so, too. Known, provable and verifiable.

And we haven't even begun to talk about how technically incompetent IE is on top of all that.

btw, it's 36 years, not 46. I changed that.

20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Almost forgot this. I'll do you better. You find ONE web site, anywhere, from an authoritative person or company, that says IE is more secure than other browsers. Just one.

You can't do it. It's impossible. You will fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.