1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where is all the Traffic?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Kylven, May 26, 2009.

I’m posting this to see if I’m completely oblivious as to how to build traffic. I’ve been an amateur web developer for sometime, mainly as a hobby, but I can’t figure out why I’m not seeing the traffic most others claim. I can’t recall how many posts here or on other forums or blogs where web publishers estimate their traffic to begin at 100 visits per day during the first month to thousands just six months later. I must be doing something wrong and need your advice. Here is what I have done so far for the website in my signature:

- Search Engine Optimized to the best of my ability
    - Published 4 articles on over 100 article sites
    - Used Pingomatic to notify when I publish a new piece
    - Social bookmarked many articles on sites, such as Digg
    - Networked on Twitter and Facebook
    - Submitted to 50 or so Carnivals
    - Commented on roughly 50 related blogs a number of times
    - Posted 20+ times in 5 popular related forums
    - Submitted to well over 50 directories

…and I’m only getting roughly 20 visits a day. I understand my site is only 6 months old, but how are these other webmasters getting 100+ in the first month and progressing to thousands six months later. I just don’t get it and need your opinions.

Kylven, May 26, 2009 IP
  2. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but you are doing everything wrong.

But, you didn't know that these methods are useless. Now you know.

If you did do it right, it still does not mean you will land high enough to be seen. It is not guaranteed. Many don't get listed. That's just the way it is.

Besides, organic traffic is overrated, so don't worry about this source of traffic.

What if your articls are crap? No offense. And even if they are good, article marketing is also highly overrated.

Only a very, VERY small percentage of your readers will click to go to your site. So, you will have to write one hell of a lot of articles just to get so so traffic.

That's a known fact with more experienced marketers.

It does not matter, if the other end of that is worthless. You can ping all you want, but if ther are so few on the other end of that line....

It is hard to market yourself due to being pegged as a spammer. You have to befriend others there. They have to trust you, get use to you.... This takes time. A minimum-pad worker will make more than you, and work fewer hours.

Same as above.

Completely worthless, because not that many go there in the first place.

That, along with boards are at the bottom of the barrel in marketing. Very few click on links ("signatures"). Of the ones who do, very few of them will buy.

High bounce rates are notorious.

Most are just curious, so they will click on your signatures(s).

Same as above.

Same as carnivals.

Heh, that sounds about right. But, hey, again, at least you found out what doesn't work, and then you can rule them out, and then move on to other things.

Well, when a webmaster gets thousands of daily hits, it is due to word of mouth, advertising, and, it built up overtime. Repeat visitors, in other words.

It is mostly due to advertising.

Sorry, but that is just about the only way to get that much traffic.

copper12, May 26, 2009 IP
    GlowStormLion likes this.
  3. jamespeter

jamespeter Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like you are doing some worthwhile stuff. I started out publishing 4 or 5 articles in the beginning. Then I wrote and submitted 4 or 5 a week for 8 or 9 weeks and found that this really increased my traffic. try to decide which activity you like best, be it article writing, producing and submitting videos, or blogging and then focus on those activities and take massive action. The traffic will come. Peace.

jamespeter, May 26, 2009 IP
  4. products-that-work

products-that-work Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks copper 12...good advice!

products-that-work, May 26, 2009 IP
  5. Kylven

Kylven Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Copper. Well that just blows out of the water about 90% of the advice on this forum for traffic building. I guess it all comes down to spending money and that is sad. Is there not any worthwhile free endeavors to build traffic?

Kylven, May 26, 2009 IP
  6. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with forums like this is that they are filled with talking parrots. They hear something, and then repeat it, not really knowing what they are saying.

SEO is a perfect example. So many say that search engines is "the best way." Problem is, these no-brain, head-up-their-asses talking parrots aren't even on page one under the most typed in keywords, so how would they know?

They are just repeating what they heard from the previous talking parrot.

As for the question on if there are any worthwhile free endeavors to build traffic...of course there are. The problem is, there are not that many worth mentioning, and, you have to use them all at the same time in order for them to work.

Even still, they will not compare to advertising and word of mouth.

And, what may work for one webmaster, may not work for another.

On top of that, while you are doing these freebies, the minimum-paid worker will make more than you.

I don't think there are any really good solid ideas. The way I look at it, if there are, we would have heard of them already. Word of mouth, ya know?

The ones I like are the ones that are on auto pilot. You put it up, and that's it:

LCD sings that can be seen through the back windshield. Or, use you car as a billboard.

"You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." Meaning, if you advertise my store in yours, I'll do the same. This is for offline stores, of course.

If you own a home, you can use your property as one big billboard. Sort of speak.

There are things as putting flyers on cars, and doing door hangers, but do you realize how long you would be out there before you see even one sale?!

Just about all "free methods" out there are grossly unrealistic.

No, I'm afraid if you want to make money, you are going to have to spend it.

And it is not sad, really. If you know how to do it, you can make good money.

I'm sure there are a couple of other good freebies out there, but I just don't want to waste my time looking for them when I make good money via advertising. *shrugs shoulders*

Time is money, remember?

Think of it that way.

Anybody who says different is either trying to sell you something, and or they have a slow or dead site themselves.

John Reese. Mike Flisam, and other Bozos like them are good examples.

Dont beat your brain on this. It is not worth it.

Learn how to be a cheap and creative advertiser. It's really the only way to get a lot of traffic on a consistent basis.

If you have a good blog, or a content-type site, word of mouth can take over to the pont where you will not have to advertise as much. Like, examples, shoemoney and johnchow.com.

copper12, May 26, 2009 IP
    monfis likes this.
  7. cdbelajar

cdbelajar Member

Best Answers:
    I think, basic key to increase traffic are SEO and Contents, SEO with 2 methods SEO On Page and SEO off Page. Content make your content unique. What did you do above are about backlinks builder, the first you need to do are SEO On Page then SEO off page.

If you use wordpress engine, use clean themes it will improve your website, Clean themes make it search engine friendly.

My Experienced http://slayo.com/category/adsense-seo you can get my experience ebook $20 that is original content create by me base on my experienced.

cdbelajar, May 27, 2009 IP
  8. Kylven

Kylven Peon

Best Answers:
    Copper, I've never heard something so honest and I really appreciate you being frank with me. When you say “I make good money via advertising” is this with PPC campaigns, such as Adwords? The cost to traffic has been far too expensive in my experience. Do you use text link ads, buy banners on related sites, purchase ad space on major sites, such as Facebook…which route have you found the best for advertising.

Thanks again

Kylven, May 27, 2009 IP
  9. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes copper is absolutely right, just gave him some rep for his honest eye opening words. But I have to say (and I don't consider myself as one of those "parrots" he mentioned, I am talking about own experience) there is another (limited) solution.

Get some 100 top ten rankings for keywords people really use und you will enjoy some nice search engine traffic. That's of course a lot of work too, but at the end well converting traffic if your site is decently build.

monfis, May 27, 2009 IP
  10. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Money making online is actually one of the toughest niche around.. with strong competition and it's really hard to get into the game. First of all try not to compare with others because different niche can have different level of progress.
    Well, there are few things which I've thought of, which you might have missed out. One is video promotion. Since you've also mentioned twitter, have you worked on developing your profile. Get as many followers as possible.

lycos, May 27, 2009 IP
  11. Romanorc

Romanorc Active Member

Best Answers:
    My 5 month old site averages about 40,000 uniques a month and it is mainly due to article marketing. You submitted 4 articles to 100 sites... do the opposite, submit 100 articles to very few sites.

I write about 25 - 30 articles a week and submit them to ezine only... I get a lot of hits from there and some real nice back links as well.

With article marketing you are doing several things... getting a back link onto a page that may or may not be your main page. My site has 54 pages and my articles point to all different pages depending on the actual subject matter. You are also preselling the reader... by the time they click to your site, they already have a certain trust in you.

Also, make sure that your resource box flows from the article so it looks as though it is part of the article.

Romanorc, May 27, 2009 IP
  12. jonathanfigaro

jonathanfigaro Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you need to concentrate on only 2-3 marketing method that you can master! You dont want to disperse you effort to the point of exhaustion!

good luck!

jonathanfigaro, May 27, 2009 IP
  13. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not know what your site is about, so I do not know if Adwords would be a good fit for you.

I personally do not do them because the rates are too high, and the competition is too much.

Why the hell should I put my ad directly underneath or on top of a competitor's ad? Fuck that noise. That's stupid.

That's the main reason I do not advertise in search engines.

It also takes a hell of a lot longer to see a sale through them.

No, what I mean is create and then place cool, interestting, curious-looking ads in other webmasters' sites. The more sites you advertise in, the more money you will make. Well, providing, you do it right, of course.

I do not buy banners. I just create my own. I mostly just use a simple picture, and a text message underneath it. A combination of an Adword, but with much more text, and a picture.

I advertise on big and small sites (mostly small sites because the rates are cheaper, and through volume I can make good money), but I do not mess with sites like, say, Facebook. Due to their very large traffic base, the owners can command a very, VERY high price. The problem is, practically all who use that site do not click on the ads (it's just that kind of a site), so I would not make my money back. In fact, I'd lose my fucking shirt. ... And I'm very good at advertisng, so....

But back to these overrated methods like article marketing, seo, blogging, signatures, and whatnot.

To ease your mind even more, to remove any doubt, keep on doing them. Overtime you will see what I mean.

copper12, May 27, 2009 IP
  14. acaiberrydiet

acaiberrydiet Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello Dude
    I am also new in this field and want to grow very much in this field. I am taking training for seo, in future i will do affiliate . Do you have experience if you have please give me some suggestion about affiliate marketing more.

Thanks

acaiberrydiet, May 27, 2009 IP
  15. iser77

iser77 Peon

Best Answers:
    The first thing you have to have is good content. Period.
    At first, I wasn't sure why my blog doesn't attract many readers. I did everything that you mentioned, and still I got only a trickle of traffic. I was frustrated, but I decided not to give up. And then, one post changed it all.
    I started getting huge amounts of traffic. I got many hits from e-mails, because people forwarded the link to each other. I got many hits from Facebook, because people shared my post with other people. It was viral - I didn't get thousands of hits, but I got hundreds. And there was one reason for it.
    It was actually a good post.
    So yes, word of mouth is the best way. And the best way to get word of mouth is by posting good stuff. The rest will follow...

iser77, May 27, 2009 IP
  16. adwriter1230

adwriter1230 Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you look into the content of your submitted articles to promote your website traffic. Also, try putting some videos into your links since these days, viewers' attention is most likely be inclined to moving media. Good luck!

adwriter1230, May 27, 2009 IP
  17. Tastebuds

Tastebuds Peon

Best Answers:
    How about giving a link to your site so we can have a look and give you a better idea.

Tastebuds, May 27, 2009 IP
  18. unitec

unitec Peon

Best Answers:
    It's worthless to write articles, post to forums, community sites and all the other stuff when you focus on the wrong keywords.
    When you compete with a huge amount of other webmasters on the same global keywords you wont have success.

Instead do the following:
    Search for long tail keywords with less search engine competition (SEC) and with high search engine traffic (SET).
    Take the phrases with the highest factor of SET/SEC and write articles about them.

Optimizing of the article is not so important any more, only take the phrase in the title, the description and twice in the body (on top and bottom).

Than link from all of your forum and community posts to this page with the long tail keyword or variations of them and wait.

Only post on sites with good reputation, high PR and with relevant content.

You'll get good traffic after a few weeks.

unitec, May 28, 2009 IP
  19. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Really, unitec? So which site of yours is on page one? Or, two, even? And under which keywords?

copper12, May 28, 2009 IP
  20. unitec

unitec Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if I may post my url in this forum?

But when you're searching for "laser hair removal" you'll find my site with -info in the url with hundreds of related keywords on page 1 of Google search and very often on the top.

The same with some of my sites in other niches.

PM me and I'll send you some statistics of Google placement.

unitec, May 28, 2009 IP