1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is using "my-space bulletin" agains Google Adsense tos?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by ST12, Jul 20, 2006.

1. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, it is disappointing to hear this. I think that if you have a My Space profile for your website - then what is the problem? Lets say your profile is the "Official www.yoursite.com's My Space Page" - Then anything should go- like someone said before, they opted in to be 'friends' with your website's profile.

Keep in mind that for probably 80% (completely arbitrary number) of websites, a MySpace profile does not make sense.

Also, I am not talking about the pages that have one picture of a chicks that has 10,000 friends and rents out their bulletins. I mean legitimate website profiles.

**edit**When I said 'anything should go', I meant sending relevant bulletins. I did not mean spam. I just do not think that the two should be grouped together.

TCR, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  2. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For some reason I don't believe this. I am contacting Adsense myself to clarify. I don't see how it makes any sense not to be able to promote my Mypsace Resource site which is directly related to Myspace and interests Myspace users. After all it is being sent to users who have clicked an accept button to be my friend.

m0rtal, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  3. ST12

ST12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is a good idea to ask Google about the "my-space bulletin" and post the result here. IMO emailing to opt-in emails shouldn't be considered as spam. Since spam is unwanted email from a party you never gave consent to send you emails.
    My 2 cents.
    st12

ST12, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  4. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, my profile is one for my website, I have a separate one for myself which I don't use to promote at all. And I agree with the majority of you, they accepted me as a friend so I'm not sending this stuff to people who don't want it. And people can always take me off their friends list as well. And I'm not like those "myspace whore train" sites that post like 10 bulletins every five minutes, literally. I post one in the morning for those who get on early, and one at night for those who get on at night.

billabong7329, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  5. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Got my reply.
    To my knowledge I don't see how posting bulletins would be breaking the Adsense policies sooo I think it's pretty safe to say it' OK to post bulletins. Imagine if this wasn't the case. Anyone with a large friend account could pretty much get anyone banned from Adsense by posting bulletins about their site. Never made sense to me from the start :)

m0rtal, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  6. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And in reply to mdvaldosta I don't think you worded your question properly and gave the wrong impression to them. Regardless read their reply carefully:

Again, Myspace bulletins are only posted to those who opted in to be your "friend". They are not unsolicited messages :)

m0rtal, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you've certainly done a good job of convincing yourself. Just don't come back here whining if you get banned for it. Deal?

jackburton2006, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  8. redz

redz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its not written law, just word of mouth that people did get banned for it.

redz, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  9. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent point, all of these people have chosen to be my "friends" and more over they chose to open my bulletins and chose to click my links.

I suspect google won't have any problem with this. I hope at least anyhow.

NoobieDoobieDo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  10. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Deal. However, if that ever happens don't come back here whining you got banned because someone else who just happened not to like you for whatever reason, posted bulletins with your website address in it :)

It makes perfect sense to ban Adsense accounts because of Myspace bulletins because there aren't enough lunatics who would blast every Adsense website they could find to their friend list, give me a break.

m0rtal, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  11. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that 'all things in moderation' and common sense are the name of the game when it comes to MySpace bulletins.

As has already been discussed, having a MySpace resource site requires that it be promoted on MySpace.

The question is, what's promotion and what's spam?

That's going to have to be a question you answer for yourself.

Personally, I throw out the odd bulletin now and again - maybe one, two or three in a week. My own preference is to encourage people to look at my profile and decide from there whether they want to go to my resource site. I'd rather build up a user base who liked the site than go for the quick-grab by spawning a bulletin every five minutes, 24 hours a day.

I guess it comes down to your own judgement.

mcfox, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    Mong likes this.
  12. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no idea what you just said, but just remember that you made the deal, so when you make a thread in the future whining about being banned because of Myspace Bulletin, I'm going to laugh my a$$ off and then rub your nose in it by citing this thread. Hey, it's only fair, right? :D

jackburton2006, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  13. gluedup2

gluedup2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone would think you have some kind of emotional attachment to this topic, 2/3 of your posts are having a go at Myspace site owners and telling them how much you're looking forward to them getting banned. Boring yet somewhat amusing.

What he said in a sarcastic manner was, if G bans sites for posting bulletins then it's obvious there are many lunatics out there who would spam someone elses site just to get them banned if it's that clear cut. It wasn't difficult to work out.

gluedup2, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    m0rtal likes this.
  14. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for clarifying that, it seems that some people don't want to use their heads much when reading.

m0rtal, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  15. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    That would make it a technique we could call, Bulletin Bombing, then?

mcfox, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  16. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bulletin bowling :)

m0rtal, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  17. peeg

peeg Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you even put adsense code in bulletins any more?

peeg, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  18. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We're not talking about putting Adsense code in bulletins here, we are talking about promoting your website through Myspace bulletins.

m0rtal, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  19. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    I think its not against TOS of adsense as far as its not in the form of
    "spam".Otherwise it is very good weapon to lay down your competitors. :(

Mong, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  20. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Sending out myspace bulletins is clearly unwanted advertising and spam. People don't opt in for commercial spam when they become a friend on myspace.

Google is not a big fan of off-target traffic, and people sending out myspace bulletins to draw website traffic are not doing so in a manner to bring narrow and focused traffic.

aeiouy, Jul 22, 2006 IP