1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Removed Google Site maps and page count goes up

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by swapshop, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdw4jesus

jdw4jesus Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I put my sitemap back up, and now 2/3 of my pages are indexed. (91 out of 141.) It was up to 114 a while back, but it has slipped again.. :(

jdw4jesus, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  2. sholiz

sholiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm up to 56,000 :)

*Reinstalled it like two weeks ago

sholiz, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  3. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    as much as I understood from this longy post, sometimes we need to reinstall the sitemaps like we restart our PC

if I am wrong please correct me

ludwig, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    No actually , we were all thinking that not having a site map was better but results showed it was a fluke:)

sundaybrew, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  5. niceboy

niceboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i too noticed it and stopped using google sitemaps.

niceboy, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  6. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for qlarifications.

ludwig, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  7. onelife

onelife Guest

Best Answers:
    I find that the sites with sitemaps generally get indexed deeper and quicker than those without. As a matter of course I update each sitemap at least every month and resubmit them. That way and new content will get addressed, but I'm also exporting the sitemaps to different formats as well (yahoo, html, ror) every little must help.

Cheers,

Dave

onelife, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  8. ibnuasad

ibnuasad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    :eek: I think Google has a HIGH FEVER:p

I thought sitemaps were supposed to make sites get indexed better but after reading this thread...im in doubt:confused:

Btw, I dont use xml-sitemaps.com..I use SOFTplus GSiteCrawler...its free and has some ADVANCED sitemap generating options...

ibnuasad, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  9. smartconsultant

smartconsultant Peon

Best Answers:
    I still feel that with sitemaps,Google indexes it faster. Would like to read further experiences from other webmasters before removing it.

smartconsultant, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  10. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I never removed my sitemap, but my index count has remained more or less the same for about 3 weeks now. I'm adding 2-3 pages every day, so I don't understand what's going on... I'm totally in the dark.

sketch, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  11. fluid

fluid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Started a new site, had about 70 pages. Google indexed about 50 of them, so i decided to submit a sitemap to get all links indexed. But guess what? With each new day i found a drop in the number of indexed pages until it had only the main page (index.html). So i removed the sitemap, and the count started to go up again and reached 67. Added 500 more pages to the site but the count wouldnt increase at all. It has been like this for 3 months now. Dont know whats happening. Just thought i'll share it with you.

fluid, Jul 31, 2006 IP
  12. energydude

energydude Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that figuring out Google is like trying to predict the future in solitary confinement on a remote desert island. Hmmm....yeah, something like that.

energydude, Jul 31, 2006 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  13. uranus

uranus Peon

Best Answers:
    Really this is confusing, the more I read this thread

uranus, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  14. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google's main job is to organize content for its users. We all know that not all content is of equal quality. ;)
    So it might be relevant to know the type of content you are trying to index and maybe even the type of site.

I would not be surprised that at the other end, Google engineers are trying to come up with logic to "filter out" certain type of content. If not, "sitemap" would become a major tool for "black hats" to rapidly submit huge irrelevant content to Google.:rolleyes:

Does anyone knows if and how Google uses sitemap to "filter out" content and care to share it with this little group?:cool:

chrisd, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  15. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    My personal experience after reading this thread goes as follows:

I decided to experiment with one of my sites that had a sitemap submitted, but had a proportionately small amount of pages indexed according to google (around 240 of 12,000 total pages). So I figured it couldn't hurt anything to try removing the sitemap to see what happened.

Well, I just checked after a week and google now lists over 5,000 pages being indexed. It could be coincidental timing, with some other factor being the catalyst for this change, but I highly doubt it. I'm concluding that deleting my sitemap from google was the right thing to do.

BigEasy, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  16. PaulMellors

PaulMellors Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure its just coincidence as google is in the middle of a data refresh issue, one from June 27th and one from July 27th their data is in total flux at the moment.

PaulMellors, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  17. stressbattle

stressbattle Peon

Best Answers:
    I initially had a static website with only 7 pages. Google indexed all 7 pages. Was using ror.xml then.

Recently, I switched to Wordpress and have about 30 pages. Was recently indexed by Google and had most pages indexed. Yippee!

2 days ago, I checked site:wanginternet.com and it reveals the index of my old site, which is only 7 posts all pointing to the old static site. Quickly checked my hosted files and found that my ror.xml is still on the root. Shucks!

Deleted the ror.xml, checked site:wanginternet.com the next day and the 7 indexed pages are now gone leaving only 1 page, which is the home page.

I have a sitemap on my site and a Google Sitemap account. With wordpress, there's a plugin to automatically update my sitemap.xml everytime there is a new post.

Will update you all in the next few days if my posts get indexed again. If not, I will try removing sitemap!

I'm also assuming and predicting that Sitemap is good if you have original content. If you have duplicated content, it lets Google know quickly that your site is full of duplicated content thus de-index or not-index your site at all. Just my view, I may be wrong. My site has both original and duplicated content!

stressbattle, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  18. Madness

Madness Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the kew word is "patience" well I hope so:D I had 18.500 pages indexed with out a sitemap,after I submitted the sitemap, it got too 19.000 indexed pages after 2 weeks.

The third week It started coming down,by the end of the third week I had only 300 pages indexed by google, It's half way through the fourth week and It's starting to climb, It's around the 800 mark now but yesterday It was showing 20.500 so I will give It at least one more month and see what happens.

And traffic hasn't changed from google:confused:

Madness, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  19. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I am a little confused now as well..Should I remove my sitemaps?

Richie_Ni, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  20. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think so and if your site is falling in the SERPS and you have a sitemap attached then something within your site is causing problems and is probably needing fixed.

Sitemaps isnt a cause of the problems its only helping Google better to see the problems within a site, if that makes sense?

cormac, Aug 19, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.