1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does God exist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by scylla, May 13, 2009.

Well, do you believe in a god? me personally i do, and i am a Christian. So I want to know who I'm playing with, that's also a Christian.

scylla, May 13, 2009 IP
    Priki likes this.
  2. KL1528

KL1528 Guest

Best Answers:
    YES. i do belive GOD. Just look the beautiful world he made. look at yourself. He made you.

KL1528, May 13, 2009 IP
    avalanch likes this.
  3. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    No, all theism is utter BS based on utterly psychological (one might say Neurotic) human desires.

jumpboy11jaop, May 13, 2009 IP
    avalanch likes this.
  4. bimal32

bimal32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    does it make any difference? if it does not exist or exist.

bimal32, May 13, 2009 IP
    avalanch likes this.
  5. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To some of us, very much so.

scylla, May 13, 2009 IP
  6. ziya

ziya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ask it to atheists

ziya, May 14, 2009 IP
    avalanch likes this.
  7. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is God does not know whether he exists or he does not exist , so neither you can say he exists nor can you say he does not exist .

it career, May 14, 2009 IP
    avalanch likes this.
  8. Bradders

Bradders Member

Best Answers:
    Does who exist? < this is my opinion lol. but i dont have time in life to care, so im not bothered, i'll just continue my life by my own rules and not let some religion rule over my life.

Bradders, May 14, 2009 IP
  9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Which God?

The God of any specific one of the hundreds of religions across time?

Just the religious idea of God? (if you believe an idea can exist, I do)

Or God the creator which we haven't yet figured out?

Wouldn't it be funny if God turned out to be a race of beings? :D Or what if he turned out to be an event or circumstance? Then once that was realized we decided to keep calling it God for nostalgia sake :)

GeorgeB., May 14, 2009 IP
  10. Unknown03

Unknown03 Peon

Best Answers:
    I got one better ;)

Wouldn't it be funny if God is laughing at all the athiests demanding his proof?

Unknown03, May 14, 2009 IP
  11. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe laughing at all the theists down there who decide not to use the sense of reason that (assuming theyre the Judeo-christian god) he gave them.

jumpboy11jaop, May 14, 2009 IP
  12. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To that I pose the serious question.... given what we know today, the constant backpedaling from God performing bold miracles we can all see and confirm, believing God is "up there" (until those pesky planes and space shuttles came along) and the long list of other things that science has shown us that make it far less likely the God of religion had anything to do with it (remember we used to ask God to make it rain before meteorology? :D)....

Given those factors... which is more likely? Yours or mine?

13. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "I have an M.D. from Harvard. I am board certified in cardio- thoratic medicine and trauma surgery. I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you: When someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trauma from post-operative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, and you go to your church...and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle. But if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17, and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God."

Obamanation, May 14, 2009 IP
    Bushranger likes this.
  14. Unknown03

Unknown03 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well to be honest, I'm not really sure what your original point was. But for the sake of argument, I would label it rather convenient to rely on the science of circumstance to "disprove" an Omnipotent entity, who doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, so you can breathe the sigh of relief. "Ah yes..we DONT have to be good. There IS NO accountability"

Given those factors I would say neither --> as technically it cannot be PROVEN either way. But I will say this, EVERYONE will find out the truth when they die. So why would you want to gamble with something so big?

Some athiests spend their entire lives blaspheming whatever God actually exists. What drives these people to such hate? What motivates them to seek out conflict on the subject instead of just ......not believing?

Unknown03, May 14, 2009 IP
  15. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The "God" I described is the God of religion. Or at least the ridiculous comic-like mystical and mysterious being that religion trys to paint as God.

I don't need to prove that God doesn't exist to sleep better at night. And I'm not an atheist (newsflash!) but I imagine most atheists sleep pretty well at night too.

Well #1 you are right, the existence of God cannot be proven nor disproven. I fully agree. But that God is not the particular God worshiped by any one of the hundreds of different religions in any one of the hundreds of different ways is pretty provable. In fact I'd venture to say the sheer number of different religions created by men is a pretty convincing starting point.

No idea man. As an agnostic I can only guess it's the same thing that drives such hate in theists against atheists. Why can't they just..... believe. What motivates them to seek out others and make them believe in their particular style of religion? So much so that great wars are fought over it.

16. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    *waits for someone who knows a bit about greek mythology. :D

scylla, May 15, 2009 IP
  17. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whats rediculous is someone that believes the universe came about by random chance. Anyone that has studied science and scientific laws know that these laws could not have come about by random chance. This is one question that no Atheist can tackle. This is why I keep bringing up my experiment about throwing up a bunch of leaves in the air and when they come down they are supposed to magically transform into some animal. I know this wont happen, you know this wont happen and most atheists know it wont happen because they are locked into this mode of belief that there is no chance that god can exists (maybe because of some bad experiences with people that have wronged them in the name of religion).
    I feel for them but still this is also a form of denial.

George its great your not stressed out about it. Neither am i. What I am stressed out about is trying to get my leaves to physically transform into something:)

pingpong123, May 15, 2009 IP
  18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who says it came about by random chance again? You keep proposing this straw man argument pong and you consistently fail to point me to a single person who has made this claim.

I have certainly never made that claim and i don't recall anyone else make it either. what I have said is that the universe came about by a natural process which we don't yet fully understand. We have a long list of explanations to invalidate before "magic man done it" becomes the most likely, albeit utterly unsupported answer as to exactly how it happened.

And even if we do discover that it was "random chance" (which i categorically think isn't the case) that still doesn't require a god as an explanation. because no matter how unlikely something is to happen by "chance", it's still not impossible. I mean, If the laws were set by chance they had to fall on one setting or another, so why not this one by chance? The fact is any combination of settings is equally as likely as this one, By chance.

I mean, having any particular 6 numbers appear in the lottery is over 8,000,000/1. Yet 6 numbers appear every week. every week a collection of numbers which has a probability of 8,000,000/1 appearing, appears. This is why using probability to predict likelihood after the fact is flawed.

Your argument falls apart around you every time you make it, i thought you would have learned your lesson by now.

stOx, May 15, 2009 IP
  19. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't looked it up....let me guess, Alec Baldwin, some forgotten film in which he's a psychopathic surgeon, right?

That, or crappy sailing days, O Σκύλλη. :D

northpointaiki, May 15, 2009 IP
  20. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bingo! I was thinking stOx's view on god goes nicely with that. Its all good until they take out that second healthy testicle...

Obamanation, May 15, 2009 IP