1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No More Images Near Ads! Received Emails from YPN!!

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by ArcticPro, Jul 17, 2006.

Just to warn others if they are doing the same thing (a few I know of).

Remove any images near your ads. At first they said that they had to be relevent... not at all. No ads, does not matter what color/background at all.

After receiving a final email asking me to remove the last image am currently working on changing my entire script (which I didn't make but was built like this).

ArcticPro, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  2. stkeys

stkeys Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder if Google will follow this idea... lets hope not:D

stkeys, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  3. Cyberkiller

Cyberkiller Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Problem with YPN is, it all depends on what rep you talk too.

I have several e-mails from reps saying its ok and when I called them they said its ok.

Yet, I see people still saying its not.

Yahoo needs to get their information together.

Cyberkiller, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  4. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, I hope when they go out of beta they get all this fixed...

d16man, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  5. cencurut

cencurut Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI, you should make your ads more visible by installing border around it. The clearer the border is, the more secure you YPN account will be.

cencurut, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  6. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    Cencurut what do you mean? I already have removed the images by the ads that they were talking about so that I wouldn't get into trouble.

ArcticPro, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  7. jeter4982

jeter4982 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have also heard for a few months that any images near the ads are against their TOS, and subject to getting your account banned if you do not remove them. Since YPN is still in beta, I think this policy is still an unofficial one, though some of the company representatives are telling people to remove the pictures. I would also like a finite answer to this question...

Tom

jeter4982, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  8. inferno3387

inferno3387 Banned

Best Answers:
    You can not have any type of image or media beside your ads! My friend just got the same email that articpro did :(

inferno3387, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  9. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's not what they said...

You had your YPN ads under "NEWEST GAMES" with a freakin image of a game next to it... completely disguising your ads as links to your games. :rolleyes:

I've had images next to my ads since LAST OCTOBER (2005) and I've had my sites reviewed for compliancy, and never once have the mentioned to me anything wrong with my sites.

yo-yo, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  10. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Have you seen the blog today? TIME to remove those images:)

http://ypnblog.com/blog/2006/07/19/what-not-to-do/

To help you out, here’s a little cheat sheet of what NOT to do:

1. Don’t sell beta keys in an online auction, message board or anywhere else (the opposite applies as well: don’t buy beta keys, they won’t work). We gave you that key and for you to go re-gifting it. No re-gifting!
    2. Don’t put our ad code on sexually explicit sites. It’s very naughty.
    3. Don’t duplicate (*cough* STEAL *cough*) content from other sites. We want to be with someone original.
    4. Don’t place images next to ads. It’s dishonest and we want to be in a long term relationship with publishers everyone can trust. People will think those images have to do with the ads, and when they find that the site they’ve been directed to has nothing to do with them, they’ll be pretty miffed.
    5. Don’t block the crawler. It keeps us from getting to know one another and is bad for both of us. Honestly, your blocking is not helping.
    6. Don’t go nuts with the ads and place them all over every page like they’re your content or something. It looks like you are trying too hard.
    7. Don’t manipulate our ad code. We’re flexible and already offer plenty of choices.
    8. Don’t send us traffic from Zimbabwe or Ireland. Not that there’s anything wrong with Zimbawe or Ireland, but right now we’re just not ready to make that big, international commitment. We’re working on it, though, so be patient, and good things will come.
    9. Don’t use inappropriate ad targeting. If your site is about flowers, it’s not cool to be targeting finance.

sundaybrew, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  11. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you're just as silly as the OP.... you don't seem to understand the english language...

They're talking about people placing pictures of video games next to ads, disguising the links as links to video games... the same with those crappy myspace sites.

If I have a site about banks, and put pictures of banks next to my ads - I'll be fine. Which is exactly why they've approved my sites and they've been the same way for nearly a full year. :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  12. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    "G" shouldn't follow here due to the fact that many of there ads now are being tested with images embedded in them..Keep your eyes open.

SFOD_D223, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  13. Envision

Envision Peon

Best Answers:
    I received the same email this morning. My images had a 2 pixel dashed border around them and there was 30 pixels between the images and the ads. I removed all the images and my ctr and epc actually increased! I wonder if I should send Yahoo a thank you note?:)

Envision

Envision, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

No man, No images at all.............:confused:

15. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeh... sure... no images at all for you, and everyone else who can't handle being reasonable ;)

yo-yo, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  16. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I am trying to pick on you or anyone else, I might have come off that way , it just seemed like they are saying no images at all.......maybe I read it wrong?

No hard feeelings :)

17. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you read the entire thing, you would see they clearly gave an explanation of "why not to" put images next to ads... if you aren't being dishonest and disguising your ads as something they aren't (like arcticpro was) then you should be fine.

yo-yo, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  18. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Ok, I am not using any pics anyhow just to be safe.....Thanx for the feeedback

19. frankybme

frankybme Peon

Best Answers:
    I have over 100 sites and use images on 95% of them. I have asked the Ypn staff to look it over a few times and each time they say, we see no reason for your concern. My images are about the subject, in others words no bimbo pictures and you can clearly see the pics and the ads. There is no trickery at all. I use the pics to adhance the ads not disguise them. But I will have to call them again, See if i can get some info. Wouldnt want to lose my account over some pics.

frankybme, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  20. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry about it - YPN has been much more reasonable and communicative with it's publishers than Adsense. ;)

yo-yo, Jul 19, 2006 IP