1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want To Learn Php.

Discussion in 'PHP' started by albag999, Sep 6, 2008.

1. vasago

vasago Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, StormForum is kinda right, but there is nothing wrong if you want to get your feet wet with some scripting.
    But after you've read those ".. for 24 hours" thingies! :)

vasago, Sep 8, 2008 IP
  2. gazzamc

gazzamc Peon

Best Answers:
    hey if your still looking into learning php i suggest watching these video tutorials, they are very easy to follow and i've learned a good bit from it.

http://www.phpvideotutorials.com/

gazzamc, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  3. TecBrat

TecBrat Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever this question comes up, I generally suggest Build your own Database Driven Website using PHP and MySQL by Kevin Yank. (Sitepoint.com)

But I also suggest w3schools and forums like the one you're on now and phpfreaks and www.webdeveloper.com

TecBrat, May 7, 2009 IP
    pipes likes this.
  4. pankajdeoria

pankajdeoria Banned

Best Answers:
    You can start with the PHP's Official website www.php.net . This is a Good Website to learn PHP

pankajdeoria, May 8, 2009 IP
  5. toycat

toycat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://w3schools.com has tutorials on every web language there is :)

But yeah, Learn HTML as full as you can, for a full PHP website you need HTML CSS and PHP at least
    (i'm a PHP noob, i ony understand how PHP/CSS work, i can only code in html)

toycat, May 9, 2009 IP
  6. darrin_cooper

darrin_cooper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not a programmer, but I learned everything just by pulling apart Wordpress. Now I can code & design my own themes from scratch. I can't "SEE" code like a programmer should, but I know what to do to get things right.
    Now, I build custom websites in Wordpress from scratch & they are really good.

darrin_cooper, May 11, 2009 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, good luck to all who wants to learn HTML/CSS/PHP.

Then to my main "gripe" about this. "Everyone" wants to learn to make "cool websites". What we end up with is usually garbage, and an enormous amount of webpages which doesn't bring any real value to the plethora of webpages already available.

My best tip would be "find out what you want to do", then procure the skillset for doing just that. There are so many good frameworks and template-engines readily available, so if you're gonna make something "simple", like a blog, a web gallery, a news-site, a social-networking site etc., you could probably do a lot worse than just learning how to use the tools readily available.

As for the "Learn <whatever> in 24 hours", I find those books mostly to be a joke. They usually have the basics down, and they offer some good examples, but they rarely touches the basics of coding - security, knowing why and what you are doing, and simplicity as a rule of thumb, to make further updates easier. Good coding practices is even more important on the web, as there are thousands of possible exploits.

Start by learning basic HTML. Then move on to learn CSS properly. There is so much bad HTML and use of CSS out there, it hurts my eyes. For a W3-fanatic, where everything MUST validate, it's troublesome to see sloppy coding and bad practices, and semantically wrong coding.

Then you might move on to PHP, although I would maybe suggest also learning javascript, especially a javascript library as jQuery or Mootools. You can do lots of "cool stuff" using HTML, CSS and PHP, but you won't be able to go the "extra step" before you can and do use some javascript for effects, interactivity and general usefulness of the page.

PoPSiCLe, May 13, 2009 IP
  8. X-N2O

X-N2O Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest learning from http://www.w3schools.com
    It has lots of examples, and it's a good site for references. Though php.net has better references.

X-N2O, May 13, 2009 IP
  9. TecBrat

TecBrat Member

Best Answers:
    In the years since I posted the above, I have learned that w3schools is not a reliable source because of blatant security flaws in their sample code. The other sites I mentioned should still be good references. I'd now add stackoverflow.com and the stackexchange family of sites.

TecBrat, Oct 23, 2013 IP
    bartolay13 likes this.