1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

US Border Control? Deadly Mexican Swine Flu Pandemic Spreading to US

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by bogart, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mohamedd

mohamedd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bogart most of those billionaires are rich because they unfairly fed off those poor people, and lets be honest Mexico's middle class is very small compared to those of Canada, US, and other European countries.

Now it is true that the uncontrolled boarder does allow better business for those cartels. But the only way to stop a drug flow is to stop its usage other wise people will always come up with genius ways to import it. "As long as the money is there so is the will". Also it doesn't help that how corrupt Mexico's system is.

Now as for the flu control not only will the US have to watch the Mexico boarder but also other international visitors as this flu is no longer confined to Mexico any more. If it wants to control the out break fully the US will have to Fully close down any means of entry into the country which would obviously be absurd. But the only way to control a pandemic is to keep it confined.

In all honesty though this thing has been blown way out of proportion by the good old media. People should just keep good hygiene techniques and get rid of those dumb masks they don't help anyways. I suppose society is what Agent K said in Men is black:

mohamedd, May 1, 2009 IP
  2. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Swine flu virus uses the human immune system against its own body. So, that is why, healthy young people, who have a stronger immune system, fall victim to this virus.

This virus infects the body cells and the immune system registers our own body cells as a foreign body and starts destroying it. Thats what makes this virus more dangerous.

Another thing about this virus is that it is very mild. Most people may fall ill for a few days and then get well. Most don't even realize they have swine flu virus in their bodies. It can stay dormant in bodies for a long time.

Once this Swine H1N1 virus combines with Human H1N1 virus, only then it could become as deadly as the 1918 killer bug. And it can happen soon...

Till then, party and enjoy life... :) till it lasts...

gauharjk, May 1, 2009 IP
  3. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    viruses don't combine, They evolve. They start off only being able to be contracted between organisms of the same species (pig to pig), then they evolve to jump a species (pig to human) and then they evolve to be passed between members of the second species (human to human).

I don't even know what this means, could you explain how it uses the immune system against the host.

stOx, May 2, 2009 IP
  4. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what Dr. Henry Niman says about viruses...

http://www.recombinomics.com/viral_evolution.html

Influenza flu is a regular occurance in older people with weaker immune system. But this new virus affects people with stronger immune system. It modifies the cells in our body in such a way that they seem like "foreign bodies" to our immune system. Thus, our own immune system attacks our body cells. In this way, deterioration of body starts. That is the main reason why most of the fatalities of this virus were in the age range of 20 to 50 years, supposedly healthy people.

One of the ways of curing this virus infection is to temporarily suppress our body's immune system before using antiviral drugs like Tamiflu.

Check out video Dr. Niman talks about Swine Flu

gauharjk, May 2, 2009 IP
  5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think what you are talking about is hypercytokinemia. It's very rare and not an inherent effect of swine flu. Swine flu is just flu, it's no worse than any flu and has no greater effects than regular flu, The problem comes from the fact that nobody is immune to it like we are with some of the more common flu's.

With all viruses the immune system attacks our own cells because it's our own cells which is copying the virus. The virus it's self is just 2 strands of RNA (in most cases) surrounded by a protein shell. it enters our own cells, reprograms them and gets them to make more viruses.

That is done because we don't want our T cells attacking the medication as a foreign body and rendering it ineffective.

stOx, May 2, 2009 IP
  6. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/column_scared_sick/

Bushranger, May 2, 2009 IP
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The US needs to control the border. We can allow shipments and some traffic. Closing it to unessential traffic for a couple of weeks would have been prudent. Mexico City has shut all the schools and resturants etc.

The issue is that with the illegal traffic, the US has no control should the virus mutate itself into a more deadly strain.

Mexico uses illegal immigration as a way to blow of social pressure. The Mexican government exports poverty to the US so that the US taxpayer pays the costs. Mexico has a dual problem of corruption and powerful drug cartels that inhibit economic growth.

I've been to Mexico and Mexico isn't as poor as the poster in England will lead you to believe. Mexico has the 13th largest economy in the world and 50% of the population live below the poverty line.

bogart, May 2, 2009 IP
  8. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, you are usually pretty thoughtful and level headed. I think you jumped the shark on this issue though.

Bernard, May 2, 2009 IP
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Flu happens, and viruses dont recognize political borders any better than fire ants or bees. Closing the border right now would be like closing the gate after the cow's already out. We dont need to politicize this, it's a medical crisis to address, that's all.

Heck, I'm in a border state and we've already got confirmed cases in the Dallas Ft Worth metro area where I live, but we also arent a third world country and know that basically we just need to address it by observing the appropriate health and sanitation procedures. Yeah, some people may die... everyone does at some point.

I agree with Firegirl about "slow newsday". As I recall... one year the newspapers and TV newscasters were all agog about the huge menace of shark attacks on the US coast. The way they talked you'dve thought the sumbitches were gonna invade inland and kill us all... then a couple of planes ran into the world trade center and the deadly shark menace vanished from the news.

Granted I'm not going outta my way to come in contact with truckloads of people and may use a little more hand sanitizer and shake a few less hands, but no sense getting our hair on fire about it.

robjones, May 2, 2009 IP
  10. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Worldwide flu pandemic strikes
    1918 - 1919

Late in the spring of 1918 "A strange form of disease of epidemic character has appeared in Madrid, The epidemic is of a mild nature, no deaths having been reported."

And as the summer of 1918 turned to fall, the epidemic lost its mildness: people started to die.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/dm18fl.html

bogart, May 2, 2009 IP
  11. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:

Isn't that how all influenza viruses work though? The only difference is through generations we have built a "tolerance" from mainstream influenza viruses so we don't get near death symptoms. Like for example when influenza was introduced to the indians many died because they had never had any natural immunity.

If we had a natural immunity to swine flu, it would be no different than normal human flu. In this circumstance it doesn't seem to be a whole lot more potent than a garden variety of flu. I think we should have at least shut the borders down as a precaution though to be better safe than sorry because it may become worse in the fall when colder weather comes. Just like what happened in 1918. Although it will never be anywhere near 1918 because there will be vaccines by the fall, tamiflu, and better treating the care of pneumonia then what happend in 1918. For the record I aint taking no vaccine ever. :)

domainer_10, May 3, 2009 IP
  12. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The Swine Flu outbreak is going into hibernation and it is not over.

The border is still in issue. Should there be another outbreak, the border needs to be shut down. At least enough time so that we can ascertain what is happening. Closing the border will not stop the spread of the virus but it could slow the spread a few weeks that would buy time to prepare hospitals and medication.

Swine flu fears subside, but second wave looms

Some global experts are warning about "the fall question."

"That's the uncertainty over whether the current outbreak is only a preview of what's to come, an echo of previous epidemics — including the 1918 flu — that saw mild first cases of infection in the spring followed by more severe second and third bouts in the fall and winter that brought widespread infection, illness and death."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30563707

bogart, May 5, 2009 IP
  13. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah yeah that's what they said about SARS and i've done farts more deadly than SARS.

ThraXed, May 5, 2009 IP
  14. meryhill

meryhill Peon

Best Answers:
    Well fortunately all the countries around the world are not affected, and there are few cases of this virus comparing with the quantity of cases would be there in all the world. God save us.

meryhill, May 5, 2009 IP
    Mia likes this.
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I read today that the last Swine Flu Death recorded in the US took place in Walworth County where I live. A pregnant women contracted the virus while at the Walworth County Fair (the US's oldest County Fair) while in the Swine Barn (man does it stink in there). Apparently she died 4 days later, but her daughter did survive having given birth to her after they induced labor.

That was back in 1988. I don't event remember hearing about it to tell you the truth. Interesting factoid anyway.

Mia, May 5, 2009 IP
  16. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah it could mutate maybe and this fall it will be a danger when flu season hits. I'm skeptical now though that any really bad mutation will hit. There doesn't seem to be anything in this flu that is similiar to the 1918 flu so the odds of it mutating into the same kind of strain seems unlikely. I guess well have to wait and see.

domainer_10, May 5, 2009 IP
  17. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The issue of the border has become so politicized that should the virus mutate it will spread into the US unchecked.

This isn't to mention that Mexican health officals were slow to detect the virus and react to it.

There's been a couple of deaths in Texas form the mexican-swine flu.

bogart, May 5, 2009 IP
  18. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but lets be honest both would have died anyways. The first was a 23 month old infant with health problems and the other was a pregnant woman. Regular flu kills people like that all the time. The fact is this flu has turned out to be a total hoax. Thats not to say it could get worse as time goes on, but so far AIDS is more of a crisis than this flu has ultimately turned out to be. Lets hope it doesn't mutate to something worse.

domainer_10, May 6, 2009 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Not by US citizens though, and not of a strain born in the US. ;)

Mia, May 6, 2009 IP
  20. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The virus appears much more deadly in Mexico. Perhaps a less virulent strain spread to the US.

The pandemic isn't over. The swine flu is going into hibernation as the flu season is over.

bogart, May 6, 2009 IP