1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to better your chances of getting listed on DMOZ

Discussion in 'SEO' started by The Peoples SEO, Apr 28, 2009.

Hey guys...

I'm going to try and give you guy's a tip on how to get listed on DMOZ. I cant promise you that you will get listed, But I can give you some tips on bettering your chances.

First of all you have to understand that the editors on DMOZ are regular people like you and me. The editors dont get paid but they get a good source of pride of being able to judge who gets listed and who dont. Alot of the editors act like their shit dont stink and feel it's there duty to only accept the best sites. With that being said you need to make sure your site is in order before you submit them.

Make sure that your site dosnt have any broken links whats so ever. When they review your site they make sure that everything works on your site, and that you have useful content. The biggest mistake people do is to rush in putting up a site and then submitting it right away. Thats not how it works. Take your time and make sure you site looks as professional as possible. Dont clutter your content and have words zig zagging all over the place.

Alot of sites have a professional look to them and then when you reach the footer, it looks like a hot mess. When you place links on your site make sure you center them and dont over do it. When you take a shower you dont wash your balls and then leave your ass dirty, so make sure your your site is in order before you submit it.

Also if your accepting payments on your websites, make sure you have a SSL certificate on your site. Nobody wants to enter personal information on an unencrypted site.

Once you went over everything in your site and made sure everything is in order, go to your contact page.

Most people dont know but your contact page plays a big role in having your site accepted. Emails are good since it is the internet, But attach a physical place to your website. Alot of people work from home and its understandable that people wouldn't want to publicly display their address, But there is no such thing as a private business. Business = public

Also set up a phone number for your internet business. Nobody wants to wait 24-48 hours for an email to be returned. It dosnt have to be 24 hours, but you can set your own business hours. These are tools that are needed for a internet business. Not only will attaching a physical place and phone number to your website help you get listed, but it will convert alot more sales on your website.

Once you have done all this, then submit your site to DMOZ and make sure you submit it in the right category . They say it may take up to six month to get your site reviewed, but its not like they only have one person reviewing sites. Each editor gets a section where they review sites for the section they are assigned to. Some sites can get listed as soon as a couple of weeks. If your site has not been accepted with in a month, you can bet its probably already been rejected.

I cant promise you that your site will get accepted, But following these steps will help your chances.I'm talking from my own experience with DMOZ. I've been rejected in the past and thought it was a conspiracy, but when I started to do these things I found it easier to get my sites listed.

Help this helps...

The Peoples SEO, Apr 28, 2009 IP
    one9host and vigneshjothi like this.
  2. one9host

one9host Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the write-up man thumps up 2 you!

one9host, Apr 28, 2009 IP
    The Peoples SEO likes this.
  3. mubheer

mubheer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have given up my hopes. no news of the websites I have submitted. not even a note if its been rejected.....

mubheer, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  4. The Peoples SEO

The Peoples SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks... I am satisfied now. glad I wasn't just babbling on for nothing :)

Mubheer its not like DMOZ is everything, but they are kind of strict on what sites they accept. Alot of good sites gets turned down. The best thing I can tell everyone is to attach an address and phone number to their websites.

If people can answer an email, then they can answer a phone. Me personally I pay one of my sisters to answer phones. I did it for better customer service for some sites I have, but then realized after I did that my sites were starting to get accepted :)

The Peoples SEO, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  5. springljm

springljm Peon

Best Answers:
    to be listed in dmoz is not a big task

springljm, May 1, 2009 IP
  6. sweeks

sweeks Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this, I have taken it all in and will see if by following what you have said helps. :)

sweeks, May 2, 2009 IP
  7. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    If its so easy then why not share what makes it easy to get listed. what was the point in your comment :rolleyes:

The Peoples SEO, May 2, 2009 IP
  8. angus_knows

angus_knows Peon

Best Answers:
    I have first submitted my site one year ago and to this day, it has not been accepted. Everything listed above is true for my site, it has a high level of usability. Of course I've submitted the site more than once in the past year- about 3 times.
    What could be the reason? Is it possible some categories are closed?

angus_knows, May 3, 2009 IP
  9. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    I dont think there is a shortage of editors. Just too many stuck up ones. I was talking to an editor a few weeks back. I met him on an article I was reading about editor's only accepting friends websites and payouts. He was telling me that wasnt the case. He told me he placed alot of importance on the website having a physical address and phone number where customers can call. It made alot of sense since anyone can make a website.

With alot of scam site out there, I can see why they are so strict with who they accept. Try adding a Physical address and number to your website and see if that helps. Also make sure your site is in order before you submit it.

The Peoples SEO, May 3, 2009 IP
  10. angus_knows

angus_knows Peon

Best Answers:
    The address and phone # details are there and have been there. I enter the site to the "pay per click advertising" category because that's where it's most suited. I'm beginning to suspect that the category is somehow closed because there is no better explanation. A friend of mine applied to become a Dmoz editor and received a reply within a day. He was not accepted but it doesn't matter- the point is that their response rate is fast. If so, then why have I not received a reply for a whole year? (have tried another category having to do with online marketing- no response)
    I'd appreciate any help or insight you have on the matter :)

angus_knows, May 4, 2009 IP
  11. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    If thats the case maybe you should sign up to be an editor again, and in the section that ask why you want to become an editor, put the problem you have encountered with that section. Thats the problem with DMOZ, you never know if some clown has abandon his category or if he is using the category for his own purposes.

Try putting some articles or offer free ebooks relevant to your site to comply with their "Useful Content" policy.

The Peoples SEO, May 4, 2009 IP
  12. seokingdom07

seokingdom07 Banned

Best Answers:

I was really careless when I used my site for Dmoz Submission..but from now onwards I ll surely cosider your these two points regarding quality of site....Cheers Sir....

seokingdom07, May 4, 2009 IP
  13. angus_knows

angus_knows Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great idea- that way I can be sure someone is seeing the application... Thanks, I'll try it :)

angus_knows, May 6, 2009 IP