1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is it always "CHEAP ARTICLE WRITER"

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by phyza, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You didn't get an infraction because they took your post the wrong way. You got a spamming infraction because they felt a lot of your posts were essentially junk - just to raise a post count. That's what it looks like going over the infraction and past posts. When I see people padding posts, I don't give them a single 5-point infraction. I give them 9 points - one on each of nine inappropriate posts. Then they either shape up very quickly or they're gone for three months if they don't bother learning the rules and get another infraction. And that's being generous to give them one last chance to learn the rules (which they should have done before posting at all) - they've usually broken enough rules to be eligible for that 3 month ban immediately.

As for the affiliate links, it's a member's responsibility to read the rules and stickies before they post. If they don't, and they break the rules, they get infractions. That moderator was actually one of the more generous ones. Posting to tell people to PM you for a link violates the no aff links via PM rule, and you were actually eligible for an immediate 7 day ban rather than just another point. You removed the link, but you just changed to tell people to PM you for it. Absolutely no active affiliate link promotion is allowed here. They can go in your sig. that's it. No mentioning those sig links in posts. No adding them directly to posts. And no PMing them to members.

Your thread was closed for the reason I gave in the thread itself. It was already done before (duplicate threads are always eligible for closure), and your initial post wasn't clear about what you were asking for in a referral (which is why I noted there you were welcome to start another thread, being clear about what types of writers you wanted referred, and not just asking for the generically "best" writers on DP, which does nothing but lead to more inappropriate posts of people "referring" themselves). It had nothing to do with competition. I'm always voted for numerous times when those same old threads get posted, so it would have been more in my interest to keep it open. But I don't operate that way. Duplicate threads and those that breed other rule-breaking posts get closed - end of story. As I said, you're welcome to start another as long as you are clear up front about wanting referrals (your OP of the other thread was not).

In the future, PM a moderator if you don't understand infractions rather than posting about them please. With a forum this size, we have to be strict about the rules, and that's not going to change.

jhmattern, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  2. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    You got it right there. You only have so much time in the world and a good part of it spent on other things apart from writing itself (e.g. looking for clients, living life in general). And if you work smart, you work half as much yet earn more. There's no magic formula there, which is why I wonder how many people still don't get the idea of working smart.

And with 1c/word, I really cannot imagine anyone paying all their bills with those rates even if they worked 24/7.

Great post!

cd928, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You know this is very true. When I first joined DP, I came in guns blazing with a portfolio of domains to liquidate (the market was good back then).

OF course that section is tough, no one wants to spend any money...on the surface...but the amount of people that drop by this forum and just observe the posts and never participate is quite large.
    While I never had any luck with any participating members, other than arguments, and being talked to like a 5 year old kid (you know...you could post abc[dot]com in that section and someone will swear to you it's only worth $80 :)),but I was able to liquidate quite a few at their real value....$XXX-$XXXX...to observers that quietly contacted me via email, or PM.

So there are many other seasoned professionals around observing that know the value, and the cost of things in this business.

It's a big forum, there is going to be a cross section of experience, success and financial ability just alike any other cross section of society.

I will still take a chance on a few cheap articles for the price, but when I am serious and don't have time to waste, I am going to contact someone who is not going to waste my time and get it done right the first time. I never understood how anyone survives on the rates that some charge for a 500 word article...honestly...I wouldn't log onto my computer for $5....but that's just me.

hmansfield, Apr 22, 2009 IP
    phyza likes this.
  4. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me too and I can write. :)

I have made a lot of money from writers who had semi-decent ability to hack up an article and didn't charge much at all.

BTW, nice to see you're in PT's Pub here. ;)

marketjunction, Apr 22, 2009 IP
    phyza likes this.
  5. Morphineadaicted

Morphineadaicted Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i think what matters is the worthyness of an article and not the lenghth or anything

Morphineadaicted, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  6. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    I am almost out of breath reading what I missed for the last few days. Wow!

Here is the deal... In real world matters of SEO content what you put on a website doesn't matter that much. If you have the right keywords/density that fit your site topic and enough content to appear like you are doing something, you get what you were looking for; SERP. This is a fact and I am not willing to debate it. It has been proven by many experts to the point of one guy posting plain gibberish and ranking his site no problem. All the arguments regarding duplicate content are also bogus. Search engine algorithms are not THAT smart. They just count ones and zeros and look for cornerstones on which to build the foundation of a page rank.

I have done experiments of my own that have validated a lot of this research.

It has always been my hope that people are a little deeper than that. When I write something I attempt to insert my intellect and knowledge of a subject and I really want the reader to get something from it. I don't personally want a site that is made up of garbage content, but I know that there is a limited amount of people out there that actually READ things today. We are bombarded with information and most people skim or speed read. That isn't really absorbing the material, but that is what the majority do.

The real answer to this would be the burning question of what the customer is looking for. If they want thoughtful, insightful, and researched copy, then they will pay the money required. If all they need is relatively coherent words to plaster on a page for a content count, then they won't need to pay for the services of a professional. They can simply copy/paste or spin their way into it, or they can hire a person who can bang out quick articles.

It boils down to choices.

To be brutally honest here, on my site, I have spent countless hours writing my honest heartfelt desire to help musicians and have included detailed, researched, and competent information regarding a plan to make the music business work in this economy; It all falls on deaf ears!

That is my point.

Most people today are not that deep. You can bet a bunch of these one liner posts on this thread are from people who didn't read a word of what was being said here. This is why all the "Pro's" who are giving out the same advice over and over feel like they are spinning their wheels. Because they are! Only a select group of people in any collective actually study the details. The rest just guess.

The price you pay for writing needs to be weighed out against your audience.

If your audience is search engine spiders... They can't READ! :eek:

BadBoyzStudioZ, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  7. phpwnes

phpwnes Peon

Best Answers:
    you get what your money is worth, so maybe some are happy with the cheap service they get, its not fair to generalize writers just because of the price they charge.

phpwnes, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  8. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    And I would "log in" to my computer for $5.00 all day long 365 days a year! Do you have a customer for that? :D

BadBoyzStudioZ, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  9. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cheap and poorly written articles just need proof reading.

enhu, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  10. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Believe me, you wouldn't want to proofread, much less edit, poorly written articles. Fixing them takes more time than writing them yourself. It'll make you go so crazy, you'd wish you were working at McDonald's instead.

cd928, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    ... unless they're truly poorly written and just not including spelling and grammatical errors, and therefore need thorough editing (which takes much longer than proofreading).

... unless they're illegal rewrites of other copyrighted content, which means they need to be scrapped altogether and rewritten from scratch.

jhmattern, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  12. carlyluvsunited

carlyluvsunited Peon

Best Answers:
    I was a bit surprised to see several comments on these forums
    about people asking for 'native' English speakers and totally
    disregarding the fact that some foreign people do have very
    good English.

Is it not possible for a 'foreigner' to study English and become
    as good as native English speakers? I think it is.

I am Romanian and have been learning English for three years
    now and pride myself on the fact that I can pass myself off as
    a native English speaker with consummate ease to be honest.

I write articles for people in Romanian, Hungarian, Russian,
    French and English and it has been a great way for me to
    improve my language skills. So don't judge people on where
    they come from.

As for the subject of this thread, I can only say this: You get
    what you pay for. Those who advertise their writing services
    as 'Cheap Articles' provide exactly that.

A Fiat is a cheap car, I'd choose a Ferrari over it though.

Wizz Air is a cheap airline, I fly home with British Airways.

Holidays/vacations in Spain cost anything from £200 for one
    week to £1000. If I have the money I would pay £1000 every
    day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

I write articles which are reassuringly expensive in comparison
    to others because they will do exactly what is required of them.
    If you need it in 2 or 3 days then forget it, it's not possible to
    provide you with the service you deserve.

On a few occassions charity sites from my home country have
    approached me to help them with English written articles and I
    did that for free.

Some people approach me from time to time and have a lovely
    website but are incapable of writing the content to the standard
    they desire. For these people I have written things for free.

Personally, I think cheap is good if all you want to do is stuff 1000s
    of keywords into the article. There are plenty of people out there
    who will do this for $3/$4 per article.

They provide this service because it is in demand.

I say good luck to them and well done for filling a niche market place.

The more you pay, the better the quality becomes. The better the
    quality of your content, the more traffic you will get.

It is a false economy to pay for "Cheap Articles".

Anyway, this is my first post on here and I seem to be blowing my
    own trumpet quite a lot and I don't want to appear to be doing that.

I have just aired my views on how I see things.

I think these forums are great too by the way. It's going to take me
    3 or 4 days to check it all out.

carlyluvsunited, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  13. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cheap are just cheap and that creative writers just have to compete with them. I sometimes ask articles for those who offer their cheap service since i know its not my thing. They did it and its great, they even produced it instantly. I've also ask an Indian for a cheap article, he created one for a dollar and i think the article he'd produced for me isn't that bad. Not bad at all for $1.

You just have to live with it guys. come on. Share the market.

enhu, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Carly,

It's about risk. There are far more cases on forums like these where non-native English speakers have simply rewritten content rather than crafting something unique (which is illegal - copyright infringement for US and other native English-speaking buyers), and if a US writer did that for example, it's easier for that buyer to deal with them legally. By purchasing from providers in the US, UK, etc. not only do they get native English speakers but added legal protections that many other countries don't provide.

And wrong enhu - "Creative" writers absolutely do not have to compete with cheap writers. If they know anything at all about the business side of freelancing, they'll know that. Those who get it never waste their time competing with writers not in their market (contrary to what your post implies there is not one market but very many for freelance writers). Those who don't figure it out suffer and then complain about it. Such is life.

15. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    exactly. and if so. then these writers must not complain about these cheap writers roaming even in elance.
    we all might just consider taking ten steps away and look that we all have to take a bite.

enhu, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  16. Seth W

Seth W Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality is most important when writing articles. I think if people focused on quality more then I would worry about more competition. Right now I know most competition in my niche is garbage and so I know I can compete.

Seth W, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  17. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Throw any article into Word and it takes a minute to proofread for spelling and basic grammatical errors. If you have Firefox spelling mistakes are rare, it spell checks on autopilot. I have a plugin on Word that even gets down and dirty on editing. Easy as pie!

Like I said in an earlier post, it depends on what the customer wants. If they need some hasty content for word counts, so what? They are the boss! I will take their money the same way I would a high profile client. No problem here.

Without the intent of being offensive, I find all the references to writing for only high-end clients for any reason a bit egotistical. If you like intense copy and are skilled enough to write it, that's great! If you are a general article writer that services people needing that product; I think that is great too! For me, it is based entirely on what the customer wants and less on my ego. I always deliver quality no matter what I am being paid. That is a personal trademark for me. If any client needs quickie articles and they are in the right price range, I have no objection to that business regardless of some imaginary ego-driven reluctance on my part to service that market.

18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Working for respectable clients and not search engine spammers has nothing to do with ego. Maybe it's just because I have a strong background in PR and fully understand how the little things can affect your long-term image, but working for that type of client can be bad news for a writer's reputation (and you'd be surprised at how much "gets around" in client communities, even if you're a ghostwriter without public credit). And when I say "respectable" that doesn't necessarily mean "high-end" or "high profile."

19. himoacs

himoacs Peon

Best Answers:
    I ask myself the same question. The prices are so low here. I want to write good articles for buyers but there is no way that I will write something for that low.

himoacs, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  20. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Now see... You took that personally. If you did that then maybe it is something that you can look at further. None of my business really, and it wasn't targeted at you specifically.

Your inclusion of the word "spam" was also a little misleading. Having generalized content on a web page for a good content count is far from spam. It is a generally accepted part of ranking a website, it has nothing in common with spam. When the word "spam" is used in that way it relates to BlackHat techniques in general. That was not my frame of reference in this case.

What (I) am referring to is the difference between so-called "cheap" articles and researched professional copy, the different client base that is involved, and the various uses of said products versus the argument of this thread about what is considered a "Cheap" writer and "Pro" writer.

My argument is simply that either can be considered professional in their field and there is a demand for simple content AND intensive content on a many websites.

I am also saying that when I hear that "I only do so and so and such and such, because I am this or that", it often sounds more like ego than reality to me.

I am not targeting anyone specific, this is just a general feeling that is all my own. I own it, it belongs to me. :D ;)