1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disable comments in WP

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by tulip4heaven, Apr 17, 2009.

HI,

Can anyone guide me how i can totally disable comments in my blog , Spam is headache for me !

Thanks
    Usman

tulip4heaven, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  2. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you tried Akismet plugin for that :confused:

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  3. taoski

taoski Peon

Best Answers:
    On each post or on a global level you can enable/disable comments.

taoski, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  4. Cash Nebula

Cash Nebula Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, give Akismet a go. It's like a silver bullet tipped with garlic kryptonite! :)

I also suggest you read the Wordpress Guide To Combating Comment Spam

But if you really want to disable all comments, uncheck where it says "Allow people to post comments on the article."

Cash Nebula, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  5. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to keep comments on, but stop the spam - a few weeks ago I saw a ReCaptcha modification on a wordpress blog. Besides Akismet, maybe you should look into adding ReCaptcha for your comments.

The blog I say the modification on, the owner was getting around 500 spam comments a week. When the modification was installed, the spam stopped.

~kev~, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  6. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Akismet works really good to stop SPAM comments IMO so OP needs to go for it first.

BTW can you give me url for this ReCaptcha thingy ? Do you think it really helps (Are you using) ??

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  7. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    just delete wp-comments.php and wp-trackbacks.php from your site

just-4-teens, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  8. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is some information on the ReCaptcha page - http://recaptcha.net/plugins/wordpress/

This is where the plug-in can be downloaded from wordpress.org - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-recaptcha/

The guy where I saw the recaptcha modification - we are on several forums together. For a few weeks he was posting in the forums that he was getting around 500 or more comments a week. I think the number might even have been as high as 600 spam comments.

After he installed the modification, I has not seen him complaining about spam. When I visit his blog, I do not see any spam comments either. So I'am guessing it works pretty good. Because the comments are not moderated.

Maybe the OP can use the Akismet and ReCaptcha modification together.

As for comments on my blog - comments are disabled. If visitors wish to comment on an article, they are referred to my forum. If I want feed back, I'll post a short article in the forum and a link to the forum post is at the bottom of the blog post. If there is no link to the forum in the blog post, that means I dont want feed back or comments. From the forum, I let the security of VBulletin deal with spammers.

~kev~, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  9. Jerryn

Jerryn Peon

Best Answers:
    wp-admin -> discussion>Default article settings>x Allow people to post comments on new articles

Jerryn, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  10. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    That is not a responsible thing to say. Boo hoo on you! You should never tell a person to delete files from their theme to solve a problem that has on/off solution afforded them in the Admin panel.

Maybe a silver-plated bullet coated in arsenic. ;) It is a fairly lethal solution however and I would recommend the OP follow your advice.

Dodger, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  11. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    Stopping all comments on your entire blog sounds more like a social suicide... and definitely does not sound like a good idea.
    You can do it from the Admin panel as others mentioned, but using a captcha will definitely STOP the spam.
    Akismet is also fine but does not catch all the spam messages and still catches some what are not spam; also you are not allowed to use it for free for a company blog what would not be such an issue, but imagine that you are heavy content provider and you own 30-40 blogs in your network..

zlori, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  12. Yuuko008

Yuuko008 Member

Best Answers:
    You can also make that you need to approve all the comments. Go to your wp-admin>Settings>Discussion. You can see the settings that you want to configure there.

Yuuko008, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  13. grahamx

grahamx Peon

Best Answers:
    It's simple matter of turning them on or off in the Admin panel. Only thing about approving everything... what if you are getting inundated with comments do thing spam ones get filtered out this way before hand?

grahamx, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  14. Jan8022

Jan8022 Peon

Best Answers:
    okay, this dogged for ages on a new site I was developing. Was SURE I remembered on an older site you could just uncheck a box. Well, no box anywhere could I find. UNTIL I realized that the "Screen Options" on any edit page, next to the Help button with all the little boxes on it wasn't to enable those features on the site, it was there to give you editing functions. Therefore, if you check the "Discussions" box, you'll get to edit that function which includes comments as well as trackbacks and pingbacks on that particular page or post. Just use the option on every page you create and you can allow or disallow at will, no matter if its a post or page, and don't have to mess around with code on templates or dealing with spam, if that's the problem. If you do allow comments, I do recommend Akismet, it gets all the spam, you just have to empty out the spam folder every once in a while.

Jan8022, Jul 26, 2011 IP