1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The truth about linkbuilding that DP doesnt want to hear

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jenny1985, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MRamses

MRamses Peon

Best Answers:
    In my personal experience, article submission currently gives you the most "bang for the buck". I can write a 500-800 word article in under 10 minutes (it's pretty easy for me). I can then submit that article to hundreds of sites.

Now I don't want to get drawn into a duplicate content debate, but from that 10 minutes of work, in 3 months time I generally achieve at least 10 good backlinks for Google. 50 or more is not out of the question. With Yahoo I'll get many many more, but Yahoo handles backlinks differently than Google does.

That's results. The problem is people aren't patient enough in my opinion. You have to plug along and realize the results will come far down the road.

I'm not totally discounting other link building methods. Every site needs a backlink mix. But articles are a quick, high quality method that will aid in SERP.

MRamses, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  2. Tirmizi

Tirmizi Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd totally agree ... blog commenting , forum posting and article writing are the best methods for getting backlinks ... However, blog commenting has one issue that you have to wait for approvals etc .... plus you can't do deeplinking , so for the deep linking and fast indexing and approval its best to go for article writing and forum posting i'd say ....

Tirmizi, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  3. pfa

pfa Peon

Best Answers:
    You say: link directories do not work anymore... then you say: look for niche directories.
    So... directories or not directories, oh Hamlet? :)

I agree with you that backlinks are the best from keyword relevant pages. Exactly that's the point with article marketing: you get backlinks from relevant articles, don't you? :confused:

pfa, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  4. moneymoguls

moneymoguls Peon

Best Answers:
    Link quality is far more powerful and desirable than quantity. I know this because I have proved it with quite a few blogs. I have one blog (100 page) with over 2000 links (non relevant) from directories, other blogs, article directories, etc and it gets about 15 visitors per day...very poor for all the work it took. I have another blog that has 50 links from very relevant and authoritative sites and it rocks in Google, Yahoo and MSN. It gets about 120 UV per day with very little content (2 pages) and it's only 6 months old.

Believe what you want but I'm sticking to what works!

moneymoguls, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  5. zingo

zingo Peon

Best Answers:
    OP is spewing some rubbish....I was not going to chime in but, it truely sounds like you have no idea what your talking about. I have sites that compete with the big boys... using the exact methods you say do not work....

zingo, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  6. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that some of what she said "won't work" are things that will eventually fade or back-fire on you.

Sure you can rank well and fast buying High PR links and getting links with the new type of linkfarms, but if you have a site you want to keep and have ranking years from now, you might want to rethink your strategy.

I think this thread has ticked off a bunch of PR sellers. Awwww tooooo bad. :rolleyes:

debunked, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  7. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    there isn't really any debate anymore, it's pretty cut and dried. By the way, the 'free article spinner' in your sig isn't working. It just shows the same stuff you put in the top box.

contentboss, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  8. Promoman

Promoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the PR argument as it seems to mean little - I know sites with high PR's and no SERP standing (which is all that counts in my book), but I don't think anyone here knows for sure what link building methods still work and do not work. For all we know, reciprical links may have a higher value now that no one uses them anymore.

Promoman, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  9. IBuildLinks4You

IBuildLinks4You Banned

Best Answers:
    Jenny just because you have been working at an SEO firm for 1 month doesn't mean you can come on here and act all high and mighty about what you're learned so far. There's a lot of knowledgable people that have been doing this for years and a lot of what your saying screams newb. You still have a lot to learn, but the first thing you need to do is drop the know-all attitude.

SEO is a continued learning process because every year things change. You've already discounted dofollow blog commenting and article submission, which is something I know one of the better SEO firms on the net does - you can find them on front page for "seo services" "website SEO" etc.. These are all easy tactics for getting backlinks that everyone can benefit from.

Sharing the tips that your SEO company has used is great, but a secretary can spill the secrets of her wall street firm, but it doesn't necessarily make her an expert stock trader.

IBuildLinks4You, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  10. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    1 month? where did you get that from?

I have over 4 years experience in seo and link building
    also looking at your posts i dont think your in any position to be talking about SEO

Linkbuilding isnt about easy its about quality.

Ask yourself out all all these thousands of people here trying to make a living fulltime from these methods, how many actually are? Not many, thats because the same bad advice gets passed around and around

Correct me if im wrong but i dont think i ever proclaimed to be an expert

jenny1985, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  11. mam4q

mam4q Member

Best Answers:
    I've been prompted to revise my off the cuff remark -

In my linkbuilding experience the page-rank of link sources is still of some significance. But linkbuilding should never be about gaining links from nothing but high page rank sources - that wouldn't look natural.

If I had to hierarchically rank link sources according to the 'juice' that I think they can deliver then authoritative, on topic niche sites would be at the top of the list, regardless of page rank. But my list would still include blog comments etc. as these lower value sources can still bring some useful juice to the party.

mam4q, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  12. sallysmith

sallysmith Peon

Best Answers:
    Jenny, so what you suggest to do? In your first post you told that almost everything doesn't work...but what does?

sallysmith, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  13. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well maybe i was a bit abrubt with "it doesnt work" what im trying to say it theres better ways, its not always about quick and easy links, ive been adding some tips to my linkbuilding thread so have a nosey over there as well.

Get some quality content on your sites that make people want to link, contact sites in your niche, have a look at what they link to and what links to them, keep thinking all the time and dont miss opportunitys.

jenny1985, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  14. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great thread, lots of interesting opinions. I myself side with Jenny in terms of quality (a.k.a. relevance) beats quantity in most instances and I have indeed looked at the Yahoo patents on Trust Rank which make a lot of sense. And yes it is hard to get decent quality links but those you do get are very worthwhile.

It is possible to buy links of high relevance but you can also be more cunning than just having a link in the sidebar; try paying a little extra and have them host an article on their site for you with a backlink. This separate page might not have any PR but you can tailor it even more to your needs.

Also, anyone asking how one to judge relevance just do some research on semantics and various Google patents on this.

pedigreechump6, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  15. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Now theres a man talking some sense!
    Fantastic advice there, couldnt have put it better myself

jenny1985, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  16. archstanton

archstanton Peon

Best Answers:
    I know for a fact that relevant content can put a low PR site above a higher PR rival site in SERP rankings, as this happens quite a lot with a site I have connections with.

The site is very strong on relevant content for its niche subject areas and is seen as the #1 site for those areas among those in the know. However, this site has managed to drop a couple of points of PR and lost ground to a higher-PR competitor on certain keywords where it used to reign supreme.

The real weak point of the site is its lack of good strong backlinks and, in this era of nofollow on most sites that are any good, I'm puzzled as to how I'm supposed to build them short of hoping for a major media organisation to stumble across my site out of the blue one day and give it a plug.

So I've been googling for ideas on how to attract quality backlinks - and ended up more confused than ever. :confused:

What actually works when trying to attract backlinks?

archstanton, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  17. Osagie Irowa

Osagie Irowa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Been reading this entire post and must say it's impressive. When it comes to selling products online, Google PR is not as relevant as you ranking for your specific keywords or keyphrases. In conducting online marketing tests for my various sites, may main concern is how I rank for certain keywords.

If the site's Google PR is 0 or 1, it doesn't matter as long as my clients can find me online when entering my keywords. Chasing PR all day impresses people trying to impress other webmasters and benefits those who are just trying to sell links.

That's my word in and keep up the great work!

Osagie Irowa, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  18. IBuildLinks4You

IBuildLinks4You Banned

Best Answers:
    Made it up.

Me too.

Wow checking out my 14 post history lol nice sherlocking. First post is true. Second post I was trying to get what kind of SEO experience people have had with mass blog commenting before I cream my SERPs with my own experiments.

But dang, you've singlehandedly destroyed me by pointing to a link development query I had ..on a... gasp...Link Development forum. You mean people actually do that? Well I never...

Getting links can be as difficult as you want to make it. Some methods are easier than others. Article marketing for example is cut and dry. Doing manual link proposals is really difficult because of the low rate of response these days.

I liked one of the creative ways you had about linkbuilding, finding the plugin error. That was a good one. However the other IMO, 90% of the sites webmasters have here would never get referenced if they wrote about another site.

Out of the thousands of people here I would make a wild assumption that many still don't even have a website, or maybe a blogspot blog at best. DP is a bunch of sea of newbies but there's nothing wrong with that. We all have to start somewhere. Thing is, there's plenty of easy linkbuilding tactics they can use to build links that will get them ranking for niche terms. Article marketing, dofollow blog commenting, niche directory submissions, hubpages/squidoo, buying blog posts, etc... This stuff is easy and the links aren't bad by any means.

Only problem is most won't get off their butts to really build a decent amount of links to their sites nor will they invest in it if they're too lazy to do it themselves. Action.

Nothing really to do with advice, good advice is easy to find.

Go to seomoz or read something by Aaron Wall.

IBuildLinks4You, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  19. ruchiseo

ruchiseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Again i good thread my jenny1985, i like all the thread by her.

Anyways thanks for share this for us.

Thanks

ruchiseo, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  20. workrealhard

workrealhard Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm in agreement with OP. As a rule of thumb, I rarely build any free links, and I like to assess a link from a normal visitor's point of view: is it natural? If not, I will not have it even it's a powerful link. No matter how Google changes their algorithm, my sites are always on the safe side.

workrealhard, Apr 18, 2009 IP
    jenny1985 likes this.