1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Squidoo to it's max

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by tdg89, Apr 15, 2009.

Hi,

People suggested me to make a Squidoo lens to promote my website. I made a Lens today and I've added content.

But I was wondering, what is the best way to use Squidoo when you want to promote your website?

Thanks! :)

tdg89, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  2. david42

david42 Banned

Best Answers:
    You can make you own lenses in Squidoo and use the links to link back to your site, but hasnt Squidoo really failed? The site is nice and I get the concept, but in reality its just a mini version of the internet-on the internet.

I dont think, aside from tech people, it actually has that much prominence in peoples lives the way Facebook etc do.

david42, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  3. MediaAtlantic

MediaAtlantic Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried creating squidoo lenses but didn't have great success either. I put it down to my inexperience in them.

I had good traffic at first but found that lenses need to updated on a regular basis to keep the traffic coming.

MediaAtlantic, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

Best Answers:

Squidoo works, and it works well, if you know how to work it. There are people who make thousands with it everyday. Squidoo is still in good standing with Google, they give it a lot of weight and you stand a way better chance to be in the first positions in the search engine results with it within a day than with your own site.
    If you really want to learn how to dominate squidoo, the only guide I can think of is http://www.oneweekmarketing.com
    This girl is making at least $30,000+ a month with Squidoo. And I know she is not just saying that because I see her posts on a paid forum everyday explaining the exact methods she uses to do that.

So, in short, no, Squidoo hasn't failed. It's people who failed to make money with Squidoo. Simple as that...

Alex_K, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  5. Random Guy

Random Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO:

Promote your squidoo lens instead

Use compelling copy that drags everyone that reads it into visiting your site via a text link or two. Subtle works better. Include a few links at the bottom too to other internal things for the added link juice :)

Random Guy, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  6. taoqeer_altaf

taoqeer_altaf Peon

Best Answers:
    I am working on Squidoo from past 2 months, only got $0.16 in the first month and as I just opened and check if I earned something there is nothing in. Don't know where I am going wrong.

I have 4 lenses for affiliate marketing.

Thanks

taoqeer_altaf, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  7. adamnldt

adamnldt Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know what's on your lenses, but making it exceptional. Are your topics different? If someone reads them will they think, "Wow, I don't think I could find this information anywhere else!"?

If not, back to the drawing board. Unique, quality content will need minimal promotion to grow. I haven't used Squidoo much, but when I have, the more effort I put into the initial content usually proves its worth.

adamnldt, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  8. tdg89

tdg89 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Squidoo has great potential for promoting blogs or websites. But its very important to understand how to use Squidoo and I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about that.

You can virtually add anything to your Squidoo lens, so I don't think it has failed.

Alex, thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. :)

tdg89, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  9. taoqeer_altaf

taoqeer_altaf Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know what's on your lenses, but making it exceptional. Are your topics different? If someone reads them will they think, "Wow, I don't think I could find this information anywhere else!"?

If not, back to the drawing board. Unique, quality content will need minimal promotion to grow. I haven't used Squidoo much, but when I have, the more effort I put into the initial content usually proves its worth.

Please check links below.

I think Squidoo has great potential for promoting blogs or websites. But its very important to understand how to use Squidoo and I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about that.

You can virtually add anything to your Squidoo lens, so I don't think it has failed.

Alex, thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Please check my links for lenses.

[edited for self promotional links]

Thanks

taoqeer_altaf, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  10. sallysmith

sallysmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a lense on Squido and I've heard that for some people it works...but I don't have no idea how can I use it! Any help? :)

sallysmith, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  11. aneel90

aneel90 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think squidoo is good only for links

aneel90, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  12. tdg89

tdg89 Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean it's only good for an extra backlink?

tdg89, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  13. kshocka

kshocka Peon

Best Answers:

You've got to be joking me? I don't get it if you're not... is there some kind of viral effect created when people view lenses? Or why on earth would you ever do this instead of just promoting your site? Provided they both have decent copy...

kshocka, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  14. Random Guy

Random Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Because lenses on squidoo have practically no value if they're not promoted elsewhere (even joining a ton of groups on squidoo can count), and giving it some effort makes your links more worthwhile. Putting good copy there also warms people up into going to your site and making a purchase rather than landing on a sales-type page first

And most importantly, it also gives your site the ability to rank for other keywords (if you use the lens to point traffic there) or dominate it's category :)

Random Guy, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member

Best Answers:
    Because Squidoo is PR6 website and you're borrowing their credibility. I'm willing to bet that a highly-optimized lens will show up in the SERPS 100X faster than your own site any day.
    A good strategy would be to build highly-optimized lenses and link it to your own site, that way you'll be getting traffic from Squidoo as well as getting your own page higher in the SERPS...

Alex_K, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  16. Hoster1

Hoster1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This might make me sound incredibly nerdy, but I've never even used Squidoo before. What kind of sites can you promote with Squidoo?

Hoster1, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  17. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes:

http://www.squidoo.com/squidoo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squidoo

Google is your friend. Squidoo is similar to Blogger - you can basically promote whatever affiliate link/site you want.

dlm, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  18. Hoster1

Hoster1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, that's what I was wondering - if it was only for a certain type of site (like blogs). Thank you.

Hoster1, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  19. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    For best results you should create more than one Squidoo lense. Use important keywords in the URLs, publish quality, unique and keyword rich content on each lense that you create and build some backlinks (even social bookmarking sites will do). After some time you will see some traffic to your main site.

zexy, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  20. squeezeplaycards

squeezeplaycards Peon

Best Answers:
    Squidoo is like everything else..... to get results you have to work hard and learn how to best utilize the site. I have only tinkered with it but I have seen some traffic from my half hearted efforts. Plus I get the backlinks.

squeezeplaycards, Apr 18, 2009 IP