1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why I Believe High Gas Prices Led To This Economic Mess

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by gregdavidson, Apr 14, 2009.

This is a formula I wrote up to explain why I believe high gas prices was the reason for this whole economic mess.

really high gas prices
    = higher cost of shipping = rapid inflation = less spending = companies forced to lay off workers = higher unemployment = people losing their houses because they can't find another job = banks going under = bad economic news = ECONOMIC DISASTER

gregdavidson, Apr 14, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  2. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In a few years it will not really matter because the world is really starting to focus on electric powered vehicles. I believe in 2010-2011 detroit electric will be coming out with 2 versions of a very nice looking car that runs on electricity alone. The base version will get 100 miles to the charge and the souped up version will get 200 miles per charge. The chvy volt will also be coming out by this time also. Im gonna love to see those big oil companies go out of business. They have been doing enough to ruin our economy allready.

pingpong123, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  3. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    I hope you are right pingpong123. I plan on driving my car (Toyota Echo 1999 .. or is it 2000? I don't know actually) until it falls apart (it's got about 140K now) and then buying a good American electric or hybrid if they are being made by then.

Zibblu, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  4. smashcash

smashcash Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I have always believe that high gas prices were/are the source of the problem. I know its hard to think long term at this point in time, but this will end up being good for our economy and good for the environment several years down the road. The high price of gas has kind of forced the world to find ways to cut its gas usage and created more pressure to seek alternate energy options. After our economy recovers, whenever that may be, it is going to end up being better because of it and America (and other countries who import oil) will be sending much less money to foreign countries for oil and that money will be able to be kept here.

smashcash, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  5. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But that doesn't explain / include how house prices doubled and in many areas tripled in the last 8 years, which must also have contributed to the mess.

Bushranger, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  6. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But it does explain why people that were living paycheck to paycheck couldn't afford to pay their mortgage anymore.

7. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    Finally, somebody with common sense. Anybody who says otherwise is definitely biased and wants to blame Obama and Clinton for all our problems.

8. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    High oil prices and other inflated commodity prices were just a symptom of the economic problems.

LogicFlux, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  9. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    Nice one but I don't buy it. Bush was behind the high gas prices and not the economy. Republicans just don't like to admit that because they can't put the blame on Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Obama, and other Democrats.

10. smashcash

smashcash Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's not turn this into another Republican vs Democrat debate. They seem to get really bad on here, and both I absolutely hate how both sides are so arrogant and think that there party and its views is so all and mighty and anything contradicting it is wrong.

11. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    High gas prices are gonna come back before you know it. Unless there is a shift to electric vehicles being charged by renewables (which can't happen, there just aren't enough resources to do it), then as soon as the economy recovers, it would crash again under the stress of high oil prices.

But for those who believe electric vehicles are the future, here is an excellent resource --> AutoBlog Green

Electric bike
    [​IMG]

Electric Scooter
    [​IMG]

Electric Car
    [​IMG]

Electric Commercial Vehicle
    [​IMG]

But believe me, oil prices have to come back up. Supply is shrinking rapidly... and permanently. The world has reached a plateau in oil production way back in 2005 and we still haven't broken those production levels. And they may never be broken. Oil production is declining at 7% per year.

gauharjk, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  12. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bushranger, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  13. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    did gas prices lead people to spend irresponsibly over years and years and continuously abuse of their credit cards?

cientificoloco, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  14. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is an article dated 7th May 2007, almost 2 years ago, when the economy was "booming", Warren Buffet issued a warning, to which no one paid heed. Everyone though Warren Buffet was a fool, because finance companies were making insane amounts of money... :p

In Derivatives Cause 'Mass Destruction', the Wall Street Journal reports on what Warren Buffet thinks...

Source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/34606-buffett-on-derivatives-a-fool-s-game

15. smashcash

smashcash Peon

Best Answers:
    In reality there is not 1 single source to blame. Our economy was pretty stable, and 1 factor was not going to cause it to come crashing down as fast and hard as it did. But I do believe high gas prices was one of the biggest reasons that it did.

And I'm not sure about the future of electric vehicles. But there are other ways to cut oil usage. Vehicles are becoming much more fuel efficient and companies are becoming much more green. All in all we are wasting much less gas. It took an economic crisis to pound this into our heads, but we are going to be better for it in the long run.

16. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree... when oil prices were at record high, companies had started going green. But in this new climate of deep economic recession, I don't believe people would be wiling to do anything. Going green costs a lot of money upfront... and I suspect cash-strapped copanies would want to do that.

I found an excellent article which you may like...

Get Real

17. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    So you're saying that banks are doing so badly because of credit cards instead of mortgages? When somebody bails out on their mortgage or can't afford to pay it a bank can lose up to $50,000 or more. When somebody doesn't pay off their credit cards you're usually talking about much smaller amounts.

18. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    I agree. There are other smaller factors that contributed to this mess. One problem that is repeatedly brought up is the fact that so many subprime loans were given out to people who were living paycheck to paycheck. However, many of these people couldn't afford to pay their mortgages because they lost their jobs due to the bad economy. By the time some of them got back on their feet it was too late and their home was being foreclosed on. This whole idea that these people should have never been approved is absurd because if things were doing good they may have been able to pay their mortgage off in the end.

19. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Commodities were insanely high because of mainly two things, I believe. 1) People hedging against the dollar 2) Speculation

People were hedging against the dollar because many people saw this problem coming in mid 2007 and even a few before that. The speculation may have been a symptom of the credit bubble in general. Money was chasing investments instead of the other way around.

Your entire premise is flawed. This "mess" didn't occur after gas prices went high. The problem was already there, it just hadn't reached critical mass yet. Commodities were high because of the mess, although high gas prices may have helped us into a recession, we were already going there.

LogicFlux, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  20. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The gas idea is absurd.

There were way too many cr@ppy @ss mortgages sold. Too many new homes, too much refinancing, too many cr@ppy @ss mortgages with non existant risk(credit) analyses, and far far too many mortgages that were at, close to, or above value on houses. It was a rampant speculative market.

Then the financial institutions were selling so much of this stuff through bundled complex securitized loans. The credit ratings on this stuff was pure bunk. The more this stuff got sold...the more the originators of the loans...got new money to make new cr@ppy @ss loans.

The cr@ppy @ss securitized loans heightened the problems with derivatives and credit swaps. Humongous amounts of financial leverage by the financial institutions that sat on the books....just waiting for a collapse.

Things like the housing bubble/boom slowing and stopping, the increase in gas prices, etc. all turned the dangerous financial situation into a full blown crises....but it started w/the cr@ppy @ss mortgages.

Suppose instead of 100% loan to value mortgages there were 75% loan to value mortgages. The whole thing would have been reduced by a thousand fold.

First of all there wouldn't have been the volume of real estate loans because lots of borrowers couldn't have bought.

2nd if things turned like sh!t because of high oil prices....people wouldn't have been so apt to walk on loans because they would have had so much equity into the homes.

If one looks at US borrowing and how it accelerated over the decades it normally gets subdivided into the following categories:

Individual debt....so much of it is mortgage debt
    Corporate debt....big businesses (non financial institutions) borrowing money
    Financial institution debt (banks, insurance companies, etc. borrowing money
    Govt debt...including federal, state, govt type entities (bridges, hospitals, etc.)

Over the last 15-20 years individual debt and financial institution debt have skyrocketed and grown dramatically faster than corporate debt and government debt....by amazing amts.

Higher gas prices were like a tiny lit match that was one of a number of things that set off a dangerous situation in place thru all that borrowing and excessive leverage.

earlpearl, Apr 14, 2009 IP