1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is it always "CHEAP ARTICLE WRITER"

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by phyza, Apr 13, 2009.

1. cormack2009

cormack2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Foreigners??? OHMG

You can't use that term, because internet is not YOUR country.
    Is better to say, their are not native english speakers.

Strange think correcting someone that was claiming against wrong use of the language :)

cormack2009, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  2. phyza

phyza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cormack2009 ... You should use Multi-Quote button and not to do posts one after another :)

phyza, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  3. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I was getting at is that you shouldn't waste your time wondering what buyers who aren't part of your target market or sellers who aren't competition are doing.

It's like my worrying about selling one of my BMWs because the guy down the street is selling a cheap Chevy Impala. Doesn't make sense.

As for rates, I don't know. If we're just talking bloated articles for the purpose of getting SE traffic and clicks through to AdSense or backlinks, most people will look to pay $15 or less as quality isn't the major issue. The top-level issues are 1) keyword usage and 2) uniqueness.

And that's because the idea isn't to create a solid article, it's to get clicks off the page. So the better your article and site, the lower your income tends to be. In other words, give them salty pretzels for free and sell them the drink.

If this type of pay/work isn't appealing to you (or possible), become a better writer and move up the ladder. As you do, that 500-word article will take more work & ability, but it will start to be worth $50, $150, $250, etc.

marketjunction, Apr 14, 2009 IP
    go85 likes this.
  4. cormack2009

cormack2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to tell a story:

So many time ago (2k years ago), in the "first" globalization (Rome-Greece-Israel, etc) all the people start speaking and writting in Greek. Not because they were greeks, but because all golablizations needs one language to speak and communicate.

You can imagine that some people start claming because some spoked "broken Greek"... in fact, one of the most know books of all times (the New Testament) was writted on broken Greek, because the writers was not greek native speakers.

Some analysts said that St Paul reivent the Greek, add new verbs, etc. and, as all can imagine, some people claims about that 2k years ago.

Languages are living things, and in this second globalization we are living a similar phenomenon (notice that phenomenon comes from Greek ;) ).

So, lets understand and accept what is happening. Many of us need to use a language that help us to communicate, not only with people that are native to that language, but with people from Germany, France, etc. Because when 2 people with different native language needs to communicate, they use english now, like they used greek in the Jesuschrist time.

I do understand that we have to try to use the most proper english and try to push quality up. But also we have to understand why are we in this situation.

Just my 2 cents

Oops! Sorry :) Was not aware of this feature. promise i will use it in the future.

5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Languages may be "living things," but please don't suggest that native speakers should just "accept what is happening." We're not talking about being able to simply communicate here. We're talking about people who market services and are paid to produce copy or content that needs to appeal to native English speakers. If they can't do it, they should stop promoting themselves as though they can, and focus on selling writing services in their own language until they've improved enough to appeal to their clients' audiences. The reasoning's faulty when you try to compare basic communication needs to commercially promoting those language abilities (or inabilities as the case may be).

jhmattern, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  6. cormack2009

cormack2009 Peon

Best Answers:

Im not asking anyone (native speakers or not) to accept anything. In fact nobody needs anyone to accept anything.
    Its a matter of understand whats happening or dont understanding it.

Many people uses english to comunnicate with people that are not english native speakers. In fact that is what is happening in internet. Never think that all conten in english are made just for english native sepakers.

If some guy that speaks portuguese wants to make a website that could be visited by people from Sweden, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. he will use english for sure.

Im agree that we need to make better and better that english, but never think that the english is used only for readers that are english native. That is not what is happening in internet.

7. DavidF9

DavidF9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry too much about the 'cheap article writer' type posts. Its hard to find quality writers, especially if a buyer is looking at the lower end of the market.

For more competent writers who actually provide a value-add beyond being a keyboard-monkey, the cheap writing scene is actually a good thing - when clients realize they've wasted their money on useless articles, they're more likely to value writing services properly in future.

DavidF9, Apr 14, 2009 IP
    go85 likes this.
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    It doesn't really matter where those visitors come from. If the content buyer starts a site in English, and the intention is to appeal to those visitors in that language (rather than search engines alone), then any writing they publish should be in proper English (or at least widely-understood English). There is absolutely no excuse for a writer with poor English writing skills to pretend their work meets that need if it doesn't (and many non-native speakers don't come close--the same is true when talking about any language). If someone wants to claim to be a "writer," they had better be able to write in the language of their target market's readers. The fact that many people try to learn English to communicate on more of a global level is completely irrelevant to the fact that people are trying to sell those incredibly poor language skills. Learn first, then write for others.

jhmattern, Apr 14, 2009 IP
    go85 likes this.
  9. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Malaysia.

Anyway, there are lots of cheap and good too : )) and sometimes, quality doesn't mean that it is better, and for some articles, the difference in quality isn't worth the differences in the money paid.

Nystul, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  10. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BINGO.

I'll give you an example: articles for the sole purpose of AdSense clicks.

Once you reach a certain quality level (very, very minimal), you're done. Any quality over that is just pointless and can actually hurt profits.

It's like the drunk guy at a party who wants a hot dog to eat. He doesn't care if it's from the best chef in the world, because the one from 7-11 (convenience store) gets the job done. So talking about "quality" and whatever else is just noise.

I find the majority of problems writers complain about is actually a result of them not understanding the market they are participating in. Some try to sell a luxury car detailing service to someone driving a dented, rusted 1973 Buick Regal.

Rather than trying to sell the market on what you want to offer, try selling what the market is asking to buy.

marketjunction, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  11. merlinseo

merlinseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm

Agree would like to see the title as QUALITY WORK instead of CHEAP WORK

merlinseo, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  12. Sapphiro

Sapphiro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Cheap" doesnt really work in Design and Programming forum I guess, cause I'm not charging cheap, and I'm still in for jobs. :)

Sapphiro, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Some webmasters want cheap article writers for their adsense sites. Little do they realize that good content makes so much more revenue. Don't let them in on the secret though.

dcristo, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  14. cktan

cktan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Phyza, as from a buyer's point of view,

When I need contents on my site, certainly I'll look for a native English speaker for quality work, usually I pay $10 for rewriting (500 words);

And when I need articles for solely link building (like submit to paid blog network), I wont care about the quality as long as it's readable and unique enough, usually I get such article at $3-4 (500 words). :)

cktan, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  15. Kunalbhatia

Kunalbhatia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know it's only fair that buyers wanting native English writers get native writers only, and not people representing themselves as native English writers but I'd like to point out that there are some writers who can actually write much better than your average "native English writer".

Personally, I have had some pretty bad experiences with buyers on DP. I have been cheated out of around $400-500 over the last 7-8 months. Many buyers here will accept the articles, and never deign to reply when the writer asks for payment. As for the people saying one should take advances, the availability of writers at $2 per 500 words simply means that if you charge a decent rate, they will just tell you to go to hell.

However, DP has some excellent buyers as well. I have at least a couple of clients right now whom I am personally very fond of (not in that way lol) because they are genuine site owners looking for good quality content. They give advances, and their times frames are flexible.

Cheap writers abound here because for many people in third world countries, or as some people like to say, "foreign" countries (like Philippines) a couple of dollars probably buys you a weeks groceries or something (exaggerating, but you get the point). Add to that the fact that a lot of buyers just want rehashed stuff, and voila, you have cheap writers popping up by the dozen.

Lastly, jhmattern, referring to an earlier post of yours, you said good clients are usually not found in the BST forums. So where are they found? I am not being sarcastic, and I would really like to know what I can do to come in contact with such people.

Just my two cents.

Kunalbhatia, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    If you're coming across buyers like that, they're simply not in your target market. Targeting the right buyers is the responsibility of the writer.

Spend some time looking around older posts here in the copywriting section (or on my blog). I, and others, have offered a lot of tips on finding higher paying work, and explaining how the "underground" market here on DP works.

jhmattern, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  17. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it has a lot to do with where you're from, but whether you know how to market yourself to get better rates. I'm from the Philippines and if I competed with the rates offered by most people here either: 1) I would kill myself out of frustration (because 1c is a very low rate for professional writers -- yes, even in the Philippines) 2) I would quit being a writer completely.

What I'm getting at is that there are a lot of cheap writers here because they don't know any better than compete on price, not because of the 3rd world/globalization BS I hear everytime.

cd928, Apr 15, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  18. Rogi

Rogi Active Member

Best Answers:
    From Seller's Point of view:

It is not necessary that If I mention that I require 'Cheap' article writer then only then I will be getting more Pms and the replies. Recently, I was in the need of articles rewriting service. So I just started a thread, I did not mention any thing regarding price. But again, as usually happen, I started getting lower than the lowest bids.

There was someone who was ready to rewrite the articles of 400-500 words for just $1.50 :confused:

I was not able to take the decision whether should I hire a cheap writer or should concentrate on quality. But after all, I selected a quality rewriter.
    But the main thing is that, even If you do not bother about the cost, you will be getting the offers from the cheapest writers.

This is all because of competition and the globalisation. :)

Rogi, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  19. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I have seen tons of threads that start with the same words...but hardly get any replies. Just because someone is cheap, doesn't mean they offer quality. Unfortunately people do not want to pay extortionate prices, however, if you offer article creation services cheap and good quality, then you will be in high demand.

Funny thing is, I have seen people that offer $5 per article and their english is almost flawless. Yet no one really responds to them etc.

It's kinda weird.

Personally if I wrote an article for someone, I wouldn't do it for cheap unless I know the subject intimately and it is real easy to write about it.

If someone had to give me a topic and say, write what you think. I could easily sit and create 1000-2000 word article on my thoughts alone and I won't bat an eyelash. But if it is a subject I don't know about, have to research it, and basically understand it, then it would be pointless to try and charge a small fee.

Hence why comments and forum posting is so much easier nowadays. Delivering your throughts don't require much 'thought' so to speak :p

sarah_harvey, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  20. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    When you know a subject intimately, it can be easy for you to write about it--but that doesn't mean you should charge less for the article/content/whatever. You have to consider the time you've invested in learning about the topic. You also have to consider the fact that the client is getting an authoritative voice, rather than a general, "I just learned this real quick-like from some other site."

I can write about insurance and finance in my sleep--I've been in the insurance/financial industry for ten years. I would not write on those topics that I've invested a third of my life in for cheap--and I wouldn't advise anyone else to.

Y.L. Prinzel, Apr 16, 2009 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.