1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Marketing Case Study - 30 Days - How Much Will I Make?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by shamus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mash240

mash240 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im also anxious to see hows hes getting on...I need some inspiration to keep me motivated :)

mash240, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  2. IMdude2000

IMdude2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    whats the update on this?

IMdude2000, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It does not matter what the update is at this point..I can see from what the OP has done to this point has not really yielded that much income from the work on the articles, and the cost of the high monthly fee from ezinearticles. so does ezinearticles really work? yes, he made a few sales, seems like he made just enough to pay the fee for ezinearticles...I guess you can see it as bad or good, his articles will be there forever (we think) so over time he could also benefit from sales, even though his articles may not be on top anymore, but over a long period of time, he would still benefit from the old articles, even though he has submited a high number of articles and only has made just a few sales according to his last post, so in the start it does not sound to promising, but long term articles could just be the ticket, of course continuing to submit fresh articles also on a day to day basis'....in the begining, it just seems like an endless amount of time getting articles ready, is it worth it short term, abolutely not, long term, deffinately maybe...I would love to market, but at this point, I have my doubts, plus I have no clue on what I want to target.

it does appear that the OP does know what he is doing to have attempted this. finding his product, creating a landing page, and such, but the time he has put in this up to this point seems fairly enormous...even if he was still submiting 5 articles a day up to this day, one probably could guess he has made some more sales since his last post., or maybe he has given up altogether in disgust because he was not doing as great as his high expections, we will of course not know that for sure until he decides to come and post. I would think if he was doing much better then he would surely come let us know out of excitement...so it does leave one to wonder what is really going on with him.

I am interested to know more on how this works...he said he was submitting 5 articles per day, what was he doing, writing 5 articles a day related to his "weight loss product" I think this would be obvious to ezine this is self promotion....?

I also noticed one post saying do not link your article to your landing page...what? if you do not link
    your article to what you are selling, then how will you sell?? I am a little confused on this point...I would
    think that you would want to link your article to your landing page or what you are selling....

dscurlock, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  4. IMdude2000

IMdude2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    what fee from ezinearticles?????? I believe he is just a basic expert author status which poses no fee to list ezinearticles is free for me, and if you don't think what he has done is worth it then your on another plant I believed hes made close to 200 just from 50 or so articles, I think thats pretty good

IMdude2000, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  5. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    he is paying $97/mo for ezinearticles, ok, so hes made $200, so..
    half of that went to ezine off the bat...so was making $100
    profit with hours and hours of article submissions? like i said,
    in the long run, maybe, but in the short term no...he surely would
    have to turn over more then 5 articles a day...if he could do
    20-25 articles/day, and maintain that, then maybe he
    has a shot for short term success, but he would surely have to
    outsource that much work, and that costs also, but in the long
    term, it could be a payoff....

I am watching another thread similar to this one, he has not been
    as successful at his efforts to what he was selling...getting hits
    yes, getting conversions, no...

I do agree on one point, if you have a way to pump out a good number
    of unique articles per day on your products, then I would say paying the
    $97/mo to ezinearticles would surely be worth it...your articles could be
    live within minutes compared to 14 days...

dscurlock, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  6. shamus

shamus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate all the compliments and encouragement from everyone! Many of you must have missed my last blog post, where I gave my thoughts and analysis on the challenge up until the last day of it on April 3rd (although I have submitted a few more articles since then). Instead of explaining it all again here, please read it on my blog.

dscurlock - You have some mighty long observations! Just real quick, I've found that taking a bit of extra time to write one great article is 100x better than 5 average ones, or even 10 average ones. As I explain in my last blog post, taking the time to SEO the articles that are live on EZA will be well worth it in the long run, and I've already made a few sales from earlier articles (which is always fun!).

I'm still working on figuring out the best way to approach the "quick money" in article marketing, and I'll keep everyone posted if I figure anything out juicy enough.

Let me say, again, for the 12th time, that the premium membership is AMAZING. Not just the fact that articles are approved and live in 30 minutes, but the value is in the "Scheduled Release" feature. As you may or may not know, getting your articles posted right before the end of the day (especially on Friday's) is how you can get the most action to your article (thus, more click throughs and ultimately more money).

For all intents and purposes, this experiment isn't quite over, just radically shifted into a different approach :) Follow my blog for occasional updates. Thanks!

shamus, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    Scriptona likes this.
  7. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer Peon

Best Answers:
    well i read your blog post. Kind of a let down. I was expecting amazing numbers for the effort you put in and the money. but it's good to know the honest truth.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  8. IMdude2000

IMdude2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think 30 days is not enough, article marketing at first is not enough to live off off thats why you need to also be building a list as well, in the process, putting the opt ins to your auto-responder series and up selling them on the backend...

You can not really test affiliate marketing until you have 1,000 articles submitted I have friends like sean mize for make xx,xxx a month from article marketing but then again he has 11,000 articles submitted I think you need to keep pushing

IMdude2000, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  9. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    I agree...i am disapointed with the effort he put in, and he is not getting much back....but I do not think a mere 30 days is going to do a lot for a start up article marketer...this is why I made it fairly clear that he may get better results long term rather then just a short 30 days...of course these financial times are not doing us anygood either, once this fiancial mess comes to an end, affiliate marketing could pick up even more, right now, people tend to being hanging on to their dough, and I do not blame them one bit.

I do find some positive in this, we are all learning something, maybe
    even a better way of marketing in the future.

dscurlock, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  10. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    ok so 5 a day for 30 days is 150 then he'd need ... uh ... hold on let me get calculator... *tries math out*... 7 months before he'd start seeing real results.

YIKES. hmmm, I wonder if that 6-7 month rule holds true for all online marketing.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  11. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting thread! While the results were not as promising as it should but it is still good because:

1- Landing page quality maybe involved since an average conversion rate is 2% while the OP got 8 sales for 1200 clicks at 0.8% conversion rate.

2- Traffic coming to those articles was coming because fresh articles area featured on the site so many views were not targeted as much.

3- In the future the articles may pick up in search engine and get laser targeted traffic which will get better conversion rate so 30 days experience is not enough to judge the experiment. I would love to hear more stats from the OP after another 30 days...

Scriptona, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  12. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    6-7 months is a start...but your first year is going to be very
    important to how your future will start rolling out.

dscurlock, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  13. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    Here's the question to end all questions. Are you shooting yourself in the foot if you don't do article marketing at all?

INSTEAD:
    - is a heavy backlink, targeted comment links, social bookmarking, yahoo ask campaign of no comparison to article marketing?

It seems to really generate traffic FROM the articles, you have to MARKET the darn articles, so instead of backlinking to your page, you're backlinking and social bookmarking your articles, which that same time and effort could be spent on backlinking your own site for targeted keywords, and if you're number one in a keyword you could start the next long tail related keyword and start your link campaign for that.

It just seems like to make article marketing successful, unless you're paying $5 / per article and you got some spam link software to link the article, you are expending a tremendous amount of effort, that could be better served elsewhere.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  14. IMdude2000

IMdude2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but thats the thing you guys all fail to realize, he needs to be building his list doing this time I have built up my list to 2,000 + in 6 months with article marketing sending my traffic to pages like http://www.blogtrafficmasters.info
    and up selling them through my auto responder along with direct linking

In the beginning you need to also do some other stuff to make money, sell services, freelance, flip sites to also keep your head above water but writing articles needs to also be to sole propose

does this make sense

IMdude2000, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  15. teenmoney

teenmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a great thread! You are doing very well taking action for yourself.

I think that pretty soon you should see an increase in sales. Once you have 30+ articles promoting something you are doing pretty well and you can see whether it is worth it to continue promotion. However, if you already have 2 sales I am thinking it might be worth it and you just need a few more articles.

teenmoney, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  16. cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No he needs a pre-sell page. Article marketing without a pre-sell page is just not going to cut it. He probably would have had 15-20 sales already if he had a descent pre-sell page up.
    You guys should read up on it.

cowsgonemadd3, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  17. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    The way it was explained to me, You can submit your articles to other places besides ezine articles and ezine will pick it up anyway if it's really good? Is that true?

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  18. raycer43

raycer43 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I missed it but was any keyword research done before the articles were written? I get the feeling that there wasn't.

raycer

raycer43, Apr 14, 2009 IP