1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The truth about linkbuilding that DP doesnt want to hear

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jenny1985, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    A toolbar update does not happen every 3 months!
    on average yes but there have been much longer gaps.

jenny1985, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  2. Stormen

Stormen Member

Best Answers:
    How come my site, www.gameszombie.com, which I just started working on roughly 4 weeks ago, has PR3 now? I registrered the domain 09-Jan-09, but it didn't have a single link until roughly 1 month ago.

Please, you don't know what you're talking about.

Stormen, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  3. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    do you know what I like most about this thread? ..it looks to me like a girl knows more about modern SEO and linkbuilding than all you geeks do :D

and as for linkbuilding services, I'd be more likely to use her than all you lot arguing with her.

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  4. Stormen

Stormen Member

Best Answers:
    Fact: This isn't a dating website ;)

Good for you :)

Stormen, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  5. ExtremistOak

ExtremistOak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Lol Whats sex got to do with anything here? Sounds to me like your trying to dress to impress :D

ExtremistOak, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    Stormen likes this.
  6. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    hardly. look at the sources she's quoting on linkbuilding then look at people saying.. "my new website got a PR3" :)

like some dumb newb who doesnt know Google often randomly (erroneously) assign high PR to new sites which then corrects itself later on. :rolleyes:

I also know that we launch sites about once a week with one or two powerful relevant (being the key) links that rank like this right out of the box

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&ct=result&cd=1&q=seo+design+packages&spell=1

the sbs sniper site I mean. 3 relevant links did that and its been there since launch.

try and do that with your irrelevant high PR links. you wont.

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  7. Raikiri

Raikiri Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I'd rather have both.

Point is completely invalid I'm afraid. The PR0,1 and 2 sites have obviously done some SEO to get to that SERP while the PR3 may have done none at all, you do realise there is more than one search term that you can type into Google don't you? What you're saying is that if there is a PR3 site then that MUST rank higher than other lower PR sites for every search term under the sun! PR of a page is certainly a factor but things like anchor text on high PR pages have much more value when looking to rise up in a SERP.

And there have been much shorter gaps, sorry - what was your argument again...?

Raikiri, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  8. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes PR export can happen every 3 months, sometimes shorter sometimes longer.

Youve just proved my point valid
    PR alone wont get you anywhere, you need decent links and decent content not just pagerank

Have a look at this article http://www.sugarrae.com/11-experts-on-link-development-speak/

In particular this
    Do not pay attention to the toolbar PageRank meter. Even if it’s gray or white, ignore it. Learn the important site evaluation metrics and go by those. In short, evaluate, seriously evaluate, the reasons why you are doing what you are doing, and try to see if there are alternate better ways of doing it.

also further reading on pagerank http://www.stuntdubl.com/2005/08/02/pr-not-dead/

9. ExtremistOak

Best Answers:
    I agree and know how google updates PR, im just confused why you said a girl, because we have numerous lady SEOs in the firm I work at and they know a heck of alot more then some of the males

10. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    so we have multiple pages on our site that do that Google grey bar thing on and off. are they worthless links to have if it's grey barred?

someone please say "yes" so I can blow you out of the water ;)

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  11. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    well yes, ok, maybe I was lightly trolling you (DP not you specifically, to clarify) with the girl thing then, sorry bout that, force of habit :)

and possibly even my inate sexism showing a little :)

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  12. ExtremistOak

Best Answers:
    Trolling me? You mean that comment was directed at me? Do you want to see my SEO work and how long iv been i the industry?

13. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since the thread has grown and I have read your responses, you have gained respect from me. We may not totally agree but at least you are not easily swayed by the "experts" whoever they may be.

The ones on DP that get the most upset when you say PR doesn't have the value it use to are those selling links using their PR for the value. The rest of us know it is more of a measuring tool and that it is affected by links, but like you I would get a related PR0 link over an unrelated PR5 link.

(Now for the attack by the PR link sellers....)

debunked, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  14. prospects

prospects Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with your point about PR being overrated. But looking at your photo I think I'd agree with anything you said anyway! Are you single? :)

prospects, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  15. welivethis

welivethis Peon

Best Answers:

You're quoting a site that is almost four years old there. I do agree with much of what you said, and can't really see the point in arguing because you are very set in your ways.

However, I will point out that you have said focusing on quality links that are trusted and authoritative, which is a good point. However, page rank in many ways is the evaluative tool to establish trust and authority, so thus it is of some importance.

I do believe that focusing strictly on PR is foolish, but it is equally as foolish to write it off completely.

We do not know Google's exact algorithm, so yes, PR could be meaningless... BUT it could also be very valuable, or somewhere in between.

To me, its just another piece in the grand scheme.

welivethis, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  16. Raikiri

Raikiri Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good grief, make your mind up about what your argument is. I'm saying that the PR of your own page doesn't matter much if you want to get up SERPs, I'm also saying PR of the pages you have links on DOES matter if you want to get up SERPs.

You can't just come out and with such a vague statement like 'PR doesn't matter' - be a bit more specific.

Hmm, no thanks.

Raikiri, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  17. ExtremistOak

Best Answers:
    Hey I believe match.com has loads of single women lol (as they advertise on TV)

18. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very well put.

debunked, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  19. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest PR on your page or the page your links on is not the most important thing! thats what im trying to get across.
    When people sell sites, links etc.. on here the first thing they talk about is Pagerank, people say i got pagerank 5 wooopy! but what does that mean? more traffic, revenue? authority in your niche?

When building links the pagerank is way down the list of what i look at
    1.Relevance
    2.domain authority, hubfinder is great
    3, incoming links to the page and the quality of them, then even look at what links to those pages, you need to get an idea of the "juice flow" where its going, look at other links on the page and try to work out how much juice the page is passing, also check nothing dodgy is linking in or out of the page
    4. pagerank!
    5. domain/age

Now always in that exact order but just the way i like to do things and the way we build links.

Everyone is seo does things different thats the way it will always be

20. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    lol. ok I wasnt trolling in the proper sense of the word, but found myself siding with the lady over the naysayers, and with respect, however long you've been in the industry you obviously dont understand how trolling works yet.

trolls dont usually aim posts at people specifically, its general bait, troll victims select themselves :)

it was in no way meant to imply anything positive or negative about you personally or your SEO work.

however if I did want to troll you further you're well and truly on the hook with that massive "justification bite" I quoted above arent you? :)

just messin' dude, chill.

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP