1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The truth about linkbuilding that DP doesnt want to hear

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jenny1985, Apr 9, 2009.

Theres so much bad advice here particularly when it comes to linkbuilding and i wanted to get rid of some of the myths that surround link building and SEO
    Il keep this thread alive with tips and some do and dont's

EDIT! PAGERANK is far less important than it used to be and people should not listen to the Pagerank chasers who only build links based on pagerank
    PR that you see on your toolbar is different to the PR Google use, its at least 3 months out of date and has no real relevance when link building. Google PR is more like 1-100 and is only a small part of how powerful a link becomes.
    Like when people submit to link directory's, just because the homepage has PR it doesn't make it a good link.

ALLWAYS check the page your link will be placed not the homepage, check the incoming links that go to that page, the better the links going to that page the more powerful your link will be.

Article and link directory's do not work any more!!!
    Google has devalued these links now you can submit to 4000 sites and it will do more harm than good as it looks spammy.

Look for niche directory's, this makes your link much more relevant and gives it more power.

Do follow blog commenting is pretty much a waste of time.
    Ok so do a bit, but make sure the page is relevant to your site, dont go for .edu sites their just the same as .com or .net etc...
    Google can see a link pattern and to many blog comments will look bad and it will just ignore those links.

I will post some link building tips over the next few days on the thread.

Jen

jenny1985, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like there are a lot of link building companies in the UK right now. I say this because of the emails we get asking to exchange links, like linking to some new site about motorcycles from a gift site and then getting a nofollow or hidden "links" page to link back is suppose to benefit us somehow???

I agree that directory links are being devalued, that would make perfect sense for google to do. However, I disagree about followed blog comment post, I have seen those links show up within minutes.

If you come as an expert in a field, you best have something to back up your opinion if you state them as facts. I am a bit burnt on SEO related companies myself, I have given a few the chance to help improve something I was "sold" on by their expertise only to find that they knew less than I did.

Take yp.com as livedeal.com selling PPC campaign management. If you want any answers from them or to see what they are supposedly doing with your site, don't bother asking, you won't get any.

debunked, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  3. welivethis

welivethis Peon

Best Answers:
    Out of curiousity... what are you basing your claims on?

welivethis, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  4. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    In moderation yes there fine, but they have to be on a page related to where the link is pointing!
    I see so many services here selling 500+ do follow blog comments on every blog going, that just wont work anymore.

You cant have a page about mobile phones and then stick a comment about dog grooming, its just a waste of time and the link has no value aswell as the fact its probably stuck on a page with hundreds of non related outgoing links on so your link has no juice what so ever

Experience and knowledge, weve worked in link building and SEO for a number of years now and have seen the changes in google algo for ourselves over the years.
    Also if you go over any proper seo resources, webmasterworld, google webmaster forums, seomoz you will see the same types of things.
    People spend to much time on this forum getting bad advice and pagrank blindness

5. alicehana

alicehana Peon

Best Answers:
    so is this an ad or not?

alicehana, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  6. steveeyes

steveeyes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Spam....rubbish.....lets be negative and say all the things that don't work (with no proof) so you will buy my service. Unless you can back it up, why post something you can't substantiate with facts. If you say it is from experience, that tells us something about YOUR experience and maybe you are doing more things wrong than right.

steveeyes, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  7. Stormen

Stormen Member

Best Answers:
    I know you're trying to get a (commercial) message across, but saying that "Pagerank isn't important" is pure bullshit.

Google's entire algorithm is based on Pagerank. Please feel free to read up on "pagerank" in Wikipedia.

The fact that Pagerank is 3 months out of date carries little weight; Pagerank is the best measure for a links worth you can get. If you know any other way of accuratly measuring a links worth, please share it with us (It needs to be measurable in the form of numbers).

Furthermore, when you make a claim on a forum, it's your duty to back it up with sources. For all your arguments, you haven't supplied ONE source - except for mentioning the name of some forums. Your claims simply aren't backed up, and thus, they carry no weight.

Everybody agrees that relevance is important, so I agree with you on that; but saying Pagerank isn't important is like saying "paying attention to the Google algorithm isn't important to get good SERPS".

Stormen, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  8. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, it isnt.

what do we actually know about the Google algorithm?

nada.

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  9. ExtremistOak

ExtremistOak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I was going to tell you in PM to remove the PR comment, but youve already started to get slated so let me give my 2 cents.

Pagerank has changed a lot and I understand what your saying from a link building point of view, getting a high PR link will NOT increase your serps a massive amount as it used too previously, I would much rather have a link from a trusted market leader in my niche.

But this is where PR is important to me, Google use PR as a way to crawl sites, I.E the higher the PR of a site the more often and deeper you are going to get crawled and indexed. So when your working with large sites with thousands of pages like I do it is essential to have good Pagerank.

Pagerank is still very much used by Google, but just not in the ways that it used to be.

ExtremistOak, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  10. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of your post is useless to me. But this particular section is true. When commenting on do-follow blogs many people go with the pr of the home page and not the page where their link is being posted.

Though your theory has got no source as said by other members I think you need to prove your theory and explain it with examples.

best of luck!

Also waiting for your useful link building tips!! :D

pro.seods, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  11. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok first it isnt an ad i have updated my original post to reflect this., just some tips i have picked up over the years.

Fair comment in some ways but a lot of this pagerank gets you more pages indexed talk comes from the old school type seo's
    http://www.website-articles.net/ look at the, no pr over 3000 indexed pages.

No thats just rubbish im sorry, these are the sort of factors that we should use to measure a links worth
    http://ontolo.com/blog/b-55-qualifi...s-within-massive-link-prospect-data-sets.html
    not just PR

What im trying to get across is there's to much PR chasing going on here, dont let it be the first thing you look at when building links, pr0 today could be pr4 tomorrow and vica versa.
    You need links from quality pages with quality inbound links and a domain that has trust and authority

12. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with most of what youve said to be fair. and most of DP are PR morons on the whole. this is another great link factor page

SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  13. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
  14. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    SEOibiza, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  15. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    Now we can see what you really want to tell people! This thread has already taught me a lot! It takes time to make people realize their mistake but they will eventually learn ;)

thanks!

pro.seods, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  16. Buckyuk

Buckyuk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure i'm going to get shot down for sticking my neck out here but i pretty much disagree with everything you have said.

PR doesnt mean as much as it did? rubbish, or google would have removed it. so your telling me if a page is 5 years old, and its PR6, just because it could have been 3 months ago google updated the toolbar, its not gona be PR6 anymore. yes, alot of new blogs inner pages get PR at first then it dissapears but not always.
    Google states in its webmaster help that the higher your PR the higher your site will be in the serps.
    This is fact! The higher PR your backlinks are, the higher your PR will be, the higher in the serps you will be.

Saying that a page being relevant has more power over the PR of the page is complete nonsense. I have get sites on page 1 of google for pretty competitive keywords with virtually NO related links.

The only thing i agree with is that directories are a waste of time,
    As for article directories being a waste of time i disagree....
    On one hand your saying the page has to be related, then your saying that if you write a 1000 keyword rich article on your niche and have a link on the page its going to be useless!!??!?

I'm not sure what your tryin to achieve in this post but your the last person I would be coming to for link building advice/services.

Good luck.

Buckyuk, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  17. ExtremistOak

ExtremistOak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is still a tiny site, Im talking about sites with thousands and thousands of pages.

Its not about just indexing its about crawl rates and the amount of time of indexing. A great example is my personal blog when it was PR2 it was not getting spidered much but now it gets spidered numerous times a day and new posts get indexed within 5 minutes max.

Theres no definitive answer in SEO, every one has there opinions and thats what makes it such a great competitive industry

ExtremistOak, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  18. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well im sure just as in any walk of life we will agree to disagree, after all thats the beauty of seo, only google knows.

Personally id rather have links on relevant pages than those of high PR, my own personal view.

If PR is that important why is http://www.articlemonkeys.com/ (PR3) ranking below sites with PR0,1 AND 2?
    I dont know if its your site or a paid sig but the point is still valid.

19. ace_maranga

ace_maranga Peon

Best Answers:
    just add mroe incoming links to your root domain. that's what i've noticed so far in my SEO POV

ace_maranga, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  20. Raikiri

Raikiri Active Member

Best Answers:
    At least three months out of date? Its only three months out of date right before a toolbar update, which happens every three months.

I won't even bother arguing with you about the other things but for one - do follow blog commenting is certainly not a waste of time, I've seen crappy sites compete with sites that are miles out of their league just because they build links on do follow blogs so don't talk rubbish.

Raikiri, Apr 9, 2009 IP