1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Directory Script? eSyndiCat PRO or PhpLD 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Maksa, Jul 10, 2006.

?

Which one is the best Dir Script?

1. eSyndiCat PRO

78 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. PhpLD 3.0

180 vote(s)
    69.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblned

mindblned Peon

Best Answers:
    Great attitude. you just sold me on which one to try first. I note that the offending thread has been deleted on syndicat's forum... :rolleyes:

mindblned, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In fairness it is not best practice to have any bad feeling on a forum. Flame posts should be removed immediately.

I have a busy rugby forum, and every now and again some over zealous member of another forum thinks that they are 'doing their forum a favour' by coming over and being obnoxious to my forum and our members. There are really only a handfull of good rugby forums, and we all realise we are not really competition, we in fact create mebers for each other.

ALL i care about is making sure MY forum is going in the direction I have planned for it. For next season I have a match betting script, a calendar for fixtures and events, and a fantasy rugbysection coming online. What are the other forums doing? I don't have a clue TBH, MY forum is my focus.

The same is true of Simon and David I believe, they both want their scripts to be the best they can be.

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  3. Maksa

Maksa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really Agree with you Friend :)

What is your Forum URL? i wanted to check please.

Maksa, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    It is in my signature under welsh rugby :) I am ChrisM (ScumV)

5. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i vote for Phpld.

dynn, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point, except for that fact that the *ONLY* ones to start flaming were their moderators.

w/e though. I don't have any hard feelings and I do not hold e-grudges (<--hahaha).

Now, if we can only have these silly polls stopped from being made, the interweb would be a better place :)

an0n, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    NOOOO Anon. we MUST have these polls as the one thing everyone is now convinced of is that it is a straight race between the two scripts :D

8. Maksa

Maksa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Old Welsh Guy Your forum is really good. I like the logo.

Both Scripts r great. I purchased domain n installed the script. Soon i'll start working on my first directory :)

Old Welsh Guy how old r u?

Maksa, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  9. Tekntoant

Tekntoant Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were to start a directory (thinking about it) I would go with phpld. I use the news script that is based on the phpld code and it is always being updated. The support forum is very helpful. The guy that heads the script is very easy to get a hold of and will do everything in his power to help you if you have a problem. Considering the price of the script and the service you receive I would recommend phpld.

Not saying that other scripts are bad but the service that the phpld team provides has just wowed me.

Tekntoant, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  10. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliment about the logo and the forum. Although there are only 600 members, I regularly email out to them and ask non posting mebers to re-confirm they wish to remain mebers. Many people like to read but not post. Anyone who has not posted or confirmed is removed. This way we only keep active members there.

The logo was designed by the brother of one of my members, he is freelance.
    And to answer your last question, I am 45 years old :D

11. temp_12000

temp_12000 Peon

Best Answers:
    there are many good directory scripts out there, they all do their jobs. technically, there is no 'the best'. it really depends on how we use them. however, marketing wise, users made the choice already. check the directory sites, there are many many more powered by PhpLD than any other scripts. Maybe PhpLD is not 'the best', but it will take some time for other scripts to become more popular than PhpLD.

temp

temp_12000, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    PhpLD 3.0 all the way :)

Blogmaster, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Those are very good points. I think the esyndicat script is very nice. I especially like the sleek design and function of the admin panel. Just like any script, much depends on the effort you as the directory owner puts into your directory to make it successful, and serve the purpose you intend.

You make a good point about phpLD being popular, resulting in a larger user base, and therefore more mods and templates, and user testing for stability.

As I said before, I think competition is a good thing, and it will help both esyndicat and phpLD strive to make their scripts better as time progresses. I intend to work hard to see that phpLD keeps getting better, and this thread has really helped me set some priorities about the future of phpLD and I appreciate all the feedback. :)

dvduval, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  14. Maksa

Maksa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    45 Years old :) then i m sure u have great SEO exp. I like your forums manegment system. I also have forum but 80 memeber. 1 or 2 active so can't remove them. tried to contact them but no1 posting. i'll try my best to make is busy forum.

Maksa, Jul 14, 2006 IP
  15. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Have you heard of things like neighborhoods, SEO, hacking, spamming ?

You want to remove links to decrease the dillution of pagerank spread, though that's minimal. Because you don't want hackers to hack your script just because it took you 1 week instead of one hour to update to the latest bug-fix. Because you don't want to be spammed by hundreds of non-relevant links just because someone did a search for all the directories powered by script XX and didn't mind to spam his hundreds financial doorway sites to your nice niche dog breeders directory. And so on..... many possible valid reasons for that.

To go back to the thread topic, the real question is, not which is best, but which is best for what.

subseo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    Old Welsh Guy likes this.
  16. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:

What a great line :D you are of course spot on. I also use phpmydirectory when I need a portal style directory with more page listing features.

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  18. Brilliances

Brilliances Active Member

Best Answers:
    spot on.

I think with phpld 2.x you don't have to include the link back... at least I can't see that written in the licence anywhere.

Brilliances, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  19. XST

XST Banned

Best Answers:
    Phpld 3.0 is great. There is a paid plugin named Google 2 phpLD, by using which we can fill directory with thousands of links. The time it took to fatch links of one category is about 5 minutes. The links is: http://www.frozenminds.com/phpld-google2phpld.html

Caution: Do not open directory in multiple windows, it will crash your database.

XST, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Okay. So you can make a Google Directory/DMOZ clone. Then what? I really do not understand the point of doing this. What do you gain?

Bonus. Who can resist an offer like that? :eek:

minstrel, Sep 22, 2006 IP
    smindsrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.