1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have a serious question

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by islandboy9, Apr 4, 2009.

I advertised for a web designer/programmer to make my site compatible with FireFox browser. Is it safe to give them ftp access to the server and my site? I am always nervous about giving out that information and especially now that the person I am considering is located OUTSIDE the U.S.
    How should I handle this?

http://www.inmate-connection.com/

islandboy9, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I personally would not give out mine but I frequently log into the accounts of others at their request.

The person does not need access to your control panel. They only need access to the public_html and folders under that one. The safe way to do this is to create a new ftp user and password with restricted access so they can only reach the public folder and the children.

Then when they are done you simply delete that user.

Questions?

Colbyt, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  3. islandboy9

islandboy9 Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a great suggestion. I was thinking: Can't I just send them the files that they will be changing and I upload those files when they return them to me?

islandboy9, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  4. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should be able to just send them your files. They should be able to run and test it on their own systems if they are web designer/programmers.

qazu, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  5. GreatWebSuccess

GreatWebSuccess Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's the best way to go, just send them the files. Any descent designer/developer would have an apache type server installed on their machine or be able to be able to test it for development work

GreatWebSuccess, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  6. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is the best way to do it. I usually try to answer the question asked and not preach too much.

The only reason that would not work would be if it is a database site. If just plain html files put in a zip folder and send it to them.

Colbyt, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  7. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    It is better to have a long term partners who fix website problems for you .
    An alternative is you can create a new ftp account which is restrict to the root directory of the site .

justinlorder, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  8. islandboy9

islandboy9 Peon

Best Answers:
    I AM looking for a reliable person that I can keep for ongoing projects, upgrades and maintenance that I don't know how to. That person MUST be in the U.S. though.

islandboy9, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  9. ExtremeData

ExtremeData Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why "That person MUST be in the U.S. though. " ?
    In the whole world are god and bad people.You have no guarantee if the person is in the US or not.
    If you will pay someone be sure he will try to do the best job, no matter from where he is.

ExtremeData, Apr 6, 2009 IP
    Colbyt likes this.
  10. islandboy9

islandboy9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Persons outside of the U.S are not governed by our laws and they do not have to comply. If they disappear with my money or I am not happy with the service, I have no recourse.

islandboy9, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  11. fozz

fozz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say no, but that's just me.

fozz, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  12. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just asking a question and trying to understand your reasoning. No offense intended.

With all of our laws,rules and regulations what protection do you think you have in an online transaction and how do you propose to enforce them?

Will you drive from New York to California to file a suit? Will you drive from New York to New Jersey to file a suit?

Colbyt, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  13. ExtremeData

Best Answers:
    If you send me some money and I don't want to do the job what can you do ? I tink nothing, even if is from US or not.
    The best way is to trust everyone until you have reasons to not trust him.
    What I can do if I'll do the job and you will not pay me ? Same answer...nothing.
    We should trust each other.Without trust you can't live in the www world.

ExtremeData, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  14. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ExtremeData, I think you got the bull by the horns there ... the problem is that the www world is heaven to fraudsters and spammers.

qazu, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  15. ExtremeData

Best Answers:
    I've worked with and for 60+ people here on DP and everytime I was paid/I paid. I think the scammers can be easily detected.If you don't pay for methods to get $10000 in 2 days or something like that you will be safe..or maybe is just my luck.

ExtremeData, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  16. dplgngr

dplgngr Peon

Best Answers:
    Heres my point..
    The best way to employ people, whether or not they are from US or not (that doesnt make any difference either based on your reasoning), is to trust them.. Backup your files first if you are not sure.Then give them the access to the ftp.In that way you trust your people and then they give back the trust you gave by doing their best to accomplish the given task. If you are looking for a long term relationship, this would be the best way for both of you since you can actually act and trust each other. If still that doesnt satisfy your soul, do a 15-30 payment method..

dplgngr, Apr 8, 2009 IP