1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does google take to update meta tags and do your rankings go down after?

Discussion in 'Microdata' started by UM Processing, Apr 6, 2009.

Hello! I recently made a change in the description of my home page meta tags and noticed that I dropped from page 1 to page 3 in the search results for a certain keyword phrase but I didnt remove or change the keywords. I also noticed that google has not updated my recently changed meta tags as of yet. How long does it take for them to update and was me changing the description the reason I am on page 3 now? Will I get back to page 1 after they update? Any info is appreciated.

UM Processing, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  2. phinelinda

phinelinda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will take some time for google to cache the current page than what it was previously.
    If you have many backlinks, your site should be updated in the index in no time.

phinelinda, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  3. .Scripts

.Scripts Banned

Best Answers:
    It took 4-5 days for me for inner pages, 1 day for hompage :)

.Scripts, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  4. crysun

crysun Peon

Best Answers:
    the quarlity of your website is very high

crysun, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  5. Marlet

Marlet Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the backlinks like said earlier. When I was bothered about my site it would change over 2 days or so. Now it takes like a week, which aint bad but aint good either if your slipping down the rankings and need some 'juice' to delay the fall.

Marlet, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  6. merlinseo

merlinseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Answer to your question :

You will see an instant change as soon as you FTP your file with new tags on your site

Now google has to crawl and index and make note of changes in cache and update it via spiders

Now google spiders have to crawl Millions and Millions of websites, so the update takes time

I cant tell you exact number of days because it depends on how often google crawls your website and its inner pages so all is have patience definitely it will be updated but not immediately like your FTP does

merlinseo, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  7. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I am concerned - changing title/description/meta tags definitely lower your SERP.

Once I did that to a well ranking site and it took 5 months for me to return to top SERPs for the new terms.

I reckon as soon as you change lots of things on your well established sites - Google thinks it as new site/or think your are trying to manipulate. Hence, it puts you in the Sandbox.:(

jhnrang, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  8. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have changed titles and description for one of my sites, multiple times. The time google will take to update these tags depends on the crawl speed that Google has set for your site. Depending on your site's strength, your SERPs will change. If you site do not have quality backlinks and has a low PR, then I think your site will lose its ranking.

angilina, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  9. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    Approx 3-4 days for inner pages and Homepage on the same day !! thats what happens with my site !

Spider Man, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  10. LinkSales

LinkSales Active Member

Best Answers:
    LinkSales, Apr 7, 2009 IP
    APHPDeveloper likes this.
  11. jumpjump

jumpjump Peon

Best Answers:
    High quality backlink, content, high pr will speed up google crawl your website

jumpjump, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  12. freeflyer

freeflyer Peon

Best Answers:
    New terms, maybe, this does not apply if you're tweaking for existing terms. You can alter metas, content or anything else and see an improvement in serps in the next cache. However, change too much and you will be sandboxed, or dropped down until the next cache whilst google waits to see what else is going to change, as you found out.
    The trick is, little and often. Change, monitor, change some more.

freeflyer, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  13. APHPDeveloper

APHPDeveloper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Picking up the changes

Crawl speed can be increased within webmaster tools if your crawl speed is slow.

To increase crawl rate increase the number of links to your site.

Pinging sites such as pingomatic or pingoat let google know there is new copy and to go check it out.

Effect of the changes

Meta data will typically provide little boost to seprs HOWEVER if used well the search engine will us the meta description as the snippet for the site. Well written and invocative snipped can and do improve your CTR rate.

Cheers,

BB

APHPDeveloper, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  14. freeflyer

freeflyer Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah agreed on that.. i'm currently finding that a good meta description repeated in the header in a standard paragraph tag is working wonders for serps, providing the rest of the page is following suit of course.
    .. These descriptions are also returned for pretty much every page and the CTR is good at the mo, because the blurb is one focused sentence telling the google searcher exactly what they want. Result.

freeflyer, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  15. @discussiPhone

@discussiPhone Peon

Best Answers:
    Really helpful!

I just updated the meta data on a site that was crawled for the first time last week, so I hope it doesn't take too long...

@discussiPhone, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  16. ssaud

ssaud Peon

Best Answers:
    That depends on the backlinks you have from other sites. Also if you are talking about Meta description that may take a couple of days to be updated in google engine but i'm sure you would more concerned with the Home page Title, that is the key .. so from my experience i can say, that takes time .. maybe in some case several months. I'd suggest make necessary changes and wait for the good time. Don't loose heart and keep updating your site with quality contents.

Traffic up/down is the part of the game, so be ready for that.

ssaud, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  17. Ultrabooked

Ultrabooked Peon

Best Answers:
    It's true, but the time it will take Google to update the cache can still vary.

And yes, the reason you went to 3rd page is maybe that you have changed the description, especially if the one has different keywords in it. The keyword meta tag doesn't influence the results for a long time ago.

Ultrabooked, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  18. hanakuza

hanakuza Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta tags from my experience is updated in several days or like a week. Make sure you don't have a big link building campaign while you're changing it, as it puts a target on your site.

hanakuza, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  19. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that you should stick to the meta tags and description which you know will best suit to your business/website. Frequently changing the metas will also make your rankings drop down from one position to other. However if you have made any changes, immediately change them back, because that particular change might not have relevant keywords for your website.

China_girl, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  20. soulpower1

soulpower1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I like about this forum--- all questions-answers help all of us. I have been browsing this forum almost 1 year and learning everyday. Recently I have built my website and already changed meta tag for description as I thought the one I have applied now is better than one I had before. As My site is new (Published in Jan 2012), It probably won't be effected. I haven't got any pagerank on google yet but Yahoo and bing gave me PR3. Well, I won't be changing again.

soulpower1, Mar 16, 2012 IP