1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Penalized me?

Discussion in 'Google' started by [J]ames, Apr 2, 2009.

Hmm this is strange, for the keywords that i was competing all of a sudden my domain name can not be found... totally off the list... i didnt have that many outer links and my website is a new one, but it is strange ... now my domain name can not be found when enetring those keywords and it was 10th on the list on average for that keyword.... all of a sudden poof all important keywords gone... ( it shows my domain for this keyword but not the home page, some other page ) but it is indexed and page rank shows as 0 (which is normal) and when searching on google with my domain name, it shows on top of the list....

I had similar problem before and then it was restored... however now it happened again... do you know the reason for this and perhaps i was penalized for linking to this site which linked to some other directories later? ( it was not a directory but it ended containing a lot of links, and i linked not from my home page but from a separate links page)

Anyways i just unlinked this site... if this is the case... do you know will google restore my rankings and what can i do to get back on track or is it just automatic like this... what should i do next? keep on with link building and should i just wait or do something about it...

Thanks a bunch

[J]ames, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Since the website is new, perhaps it has just landed in the dreaded sandbox. A lot of times a brand new websites will get a temporary 'free pass' and get rankings much easier than they should be able to otherwise. A short while later that website suddenly loses all of those rankings and gets pushed deep in the rankings. You likely just need to work at building a lot more quality backlinks. It may also help to keep adding more unique content.

vansterdam, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  3. [J]ames

[J]ames Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks for the tips, perhaps it is so ...

However my main page is outranked by one other page on my domain for which i did not do any seo... so i am wondering if that is the case... any sandbox symptoms? :p the website is about month old... and on yahoo it has some position too... don't know if there is some rule of who should rank you better, but it seems that google was more successful in ranking me earlier... i will continue building links, however wonder if i should do something else to get my home page back on google... if there is such option let me know...

Is there some review tool that would help to tell you if it is exactly banned by google or penalized and how to remove it or?

Thank you

[J]ames, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  4. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope...if you get banned by Google, you can try contacting support through Google Webmaster Tools. They won't necessarily tell you exactly what happened to your website.

Some penalties do affect only certain keywords. Perhaps penalties can also just affect certain pages.

You can PM me the url and I can let you know if I can see anything that may result in a penalty.

vansterdam, Apr 2, 2009 IP
    [J]ames likes this.
  5. [J]ames

[J]ames Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm i still seem to be in the sandbox or whatever... should i contact google or ... There are no messages in the google webmaster tools regarding my site's disappearing from serps, perhaps i over optimized for a certain keyword, my main page seems to have completely dissapeared from serps... is this a sign of a ban? or a penalty or? it seems like i got banned by google =\ do you know if this can be changed automatically ( i just need to wait ) or i should contact google... if someone else also knows about this and can tell me what seems to be the main problem can you please tell me... i don't know if i am allowed to leave the url here but you can also PM me...

Thanks

[J]ames, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  6. [J]ames

[J]ames Peon

Best Answers:
    oh and yeah... another strange thing is that my page rank now seems to be 4... i think its fake as my site is only a month old... wonder what this is all about =\

[J]ames, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  7. coolseo36

coolseo36 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good one...tried to add ur rep but wasnt allowed:(
    i think somebody should write FAQs for dreaded sandbox,its symptoms,how to check it and how to get rid of it...for all new site owners.

coolseo36, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  8. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well what I can think about whats going on with your site are just two things
    1). As Vansterdam said, the site is new so it could be dancing in the SERPs or...
    2). You have over optimized your site and result as "spam" to Google (check keyword density, keyword repeat etc..).

Just my two cents..

Trapped, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  9. [J]ames

[J]ames Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for the replies and for your tips =) Vansterdam is pretty cool, he gave me a lot of tips, i added to his rep of course :)

Just to update you all what happened, the site is back online and i will be using the tips that are suggested.. I guess it was the sandbox or something since i could not find my homepage in the index but now its back... And yes i think FAQ would be nice to have, once i learn more and i stop being a noob :p maybe i can make it as well... At least will make a local one for myself to remind me in the future what happened... As it really confuses you the first time this happens... In the future i have to utilize the tips and suggestions that i have received or experienced also should keep reading the forum and stay up to date with current events in the seo world...

Thanks a lot everyone and so happy to be back on google :p

Hope it remains this way so i will try to do good seo only. Such as not over optimize for certain keyword, not repeat the text too much, etc ( did not know this before )

[J]ames, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  10. mit

mit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you are on the right track - link building, try to get more and more relevant links for that targeted keywords and phrases. Also you can probably change your content to get more traffic.

mit, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  11. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As already mentioned, this is what happens to new websites. You'll rank well for a period of time (2 weeks, give or take) and then fall out of the rankings. Domain age plays a big role in the google algorithm. Depending on your niche, it might take 3, 6, or even 12 months or longer to come back. Just keep building links from relative sites.

mjewel, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  12. spaghett1

spaghett1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem.. can't find my domain on keywords that I used to be the top result for almost a week now.. and my site traffic drops 50% because of this.. A Friend have told me that this will last for 2weeks like what happened to his site last April 2008 and now happens to his site again this April 2009.. So for now I just keep updating my site, and improve my site backlinks..

spaghett1, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  13. waxman1000

waxman1000 Peon

Best Answers:
    it kind of crazy! i had the same problem with one of my new sites that i published some days page. The same day i published it, it went to 4th position on Google, then then after some few days it disappeared and has since never come back. i think i get a fell of what is happening now.

waxman1000, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  14. Earnest01

Earnest01 Peon

Best Answers:
    1) continue building links, relevant ones preferably
    2) have the patience to wait, sandbox is basically about waiting until google confirms your site is in fact quite likable

Earnest01, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  15. malkhaz

malkhaz Guest

Best Answers:
    I Have the exactly same problem. but with me it happen 3 times in a row during last 2 months every 2 weeks. most probably I have updated site title and description too frequently (every week). please let me know if it might be a reason for Google penalty? is it possible to get permanent penalty? or it is just temporary?

malkhaz, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  16. [J]ames

[J]ames Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is possible to get a permanent penalty, but you can fix the site and request reconsideration... i would not worry too much in your case because yes the changing of the titles will cause immediate drop when google notices so plan your titles carefully... i did not change titles but i have been deindexed suddenly, i think i know the cause but can't be sure, perhaps it was just a recent google update that took me, however will try to do more quality seo in the future, i sure got a lot of good help on this forum and will start utilizing the tips that i got from here...

A big thanks to everyone that had patience to answer my noobie questions :)

[J]ames, Apr 6, 2009 IP