1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ok now i want to get into this stuff for real! real web design help please

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by rollingsta, Mar 31, 2009.

Ok I have made websites like the one in my siggy with bluevoda. Which is all good but i want to do a real website but where do i start? surely i dont just open notepad and start typing loads of crappy html.

How do i used dreamweaver? someone explain style sheets and templates and php and html. where shall i start?

Any ideas? I want a more professional looking website.

rollingsta, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I did but I didn't write crappy html.
    Never used it. Never will.
    They write whole books about each one of those.
    You can try w3schools.com and see if that works for you.
    None in your list will make that happen. Nor will a hammer make you a carpenter.

drhowarddrfine, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  3. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Howard is correct:

Dreamweaver is just an expensive web editing program - one of the most expensive. I bought it, but I often use Smultron instead because it has more features I use. Smultron is totally free.

You need to learn good HTML. there is no better tutorial site for that than W3Schools.

also check out nettuts.

innovati, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  4. rollingsta

rollingsta Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks innovati your comments made a little bit more sense.
    Thanks Howard i know you are right, someone that doesnt know a lot like me needs someone like you!

When i say dont know a lot i mean about web design. anything else i'm genius lol.

rollingsta, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  5. tim.berners

tim.berners Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

why do you bother about the coding and design,you can hire one here to get all web services at one place.

tim.berners, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  6. jumbopanda

jumbopanda Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what kind of site you want to make. If you wanted a blog, that type is thing can be found from wordpress. If you want to make a store, that can be found from creloaded. You could also look into content management systems. They can do a lot, and are made for people without an amazing amount of knowledge. Once you decide what you want to do, you can find video tutorials, and regular tutorials that can teach you what you want to know. Just ask your old friend Google.

jumbopanda, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  7. Ezreal

Ezreal Peon

Best Answers:
    My general design process is to first design the site using Photoshop (if you don't have Photoshop, GIMP works great and is free), then start writing the HTML. Don't use Dreamweaver, the design view is terrible. You can use the code editor, but I'd recommend downloading something nicer like Notepad++.

Obviously you're going to have to learn HTML and CSS, so check out htmldog.com.

Disagreed, W3Schools is full of inaccurate and outdated information.

Ezreal, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  8. wertheim

wertheim Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm; if I had to start all over again I would never begin to learn HTML. I would just outsource all the design work to people that love doing that kind of thing and already have the tools. These days you can get a fully working version of wordpress up and running if less than 5 minutes, and many of them look great. It all depends upon what your application is.

I know a guy who modifies street scooters to make it look like you are riding a motorcycle when you are really on a scooter. In the same way there are people that excel at making wordpress blogs look like the furthest thing from a blog, and they do a great job. They can handle eCommerce and everything. So, it is all up to what you want. It can take months or years to develop all the skills that you need to make your site look great, but once it finally looks like you want it to, you still need the traffic.

I wish that I could go back and change how I spent my time. Instead of learning to sling code around I would have instead spent that time on learning how to get traffic.

wertheim, Jun 5, 2011 IP