1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Landing page quality update

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Micromag, Jul 7, 2006.

AdWords Staff just announced some changes in Quality Score algorithms for the next days.

Basically the landing page relevancy has now even more power on Quality score calculation

So is a good idea to make you landing page very relevant for your keywords if you do not want to see these keywords inactive for search

Micromag, Jul 7, 2006 IP
    explorer likes this.
  2. vlad7

vlad7 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is good news.

vlad7, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I have loads of campaigns with 100-200 words and phrases for one ad / one landing page. Considering it's impossible to have thse 100-200 phrases on that page, news like this will probably mean I'll have to break up a lot of campaigns in to smaller chunks, with more landing pages.

T0PS3O, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  4. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Translation.... "We aren't making enough money so we figured out something else to charge you more for. This will make our shareholders happy for another quarter. Thank you for taking it in the a#$ for us."

GeorgeB., Jul 8, 2006 IP
  5. ScottBannon

ScottBannon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see a benefit in this to the advertiser, especially those on smaller/tighter budgets, but really to all advertisers.

As it is now, the adwords user who can't spend over $0.20 per click has to devote hours and hours of time into finding peripheral keywords that often have lesser conversion rates -- or have their daily budget eaten up in 1 or 2 clicks on prime keywords because advertisers with larger budgets just blanket bid all related keywords in their industries and drive up the prices.

If you look at this right, not only could it open up more keywords to those with lower budgets but it will also save the bigger fish money on secondary keywords too as advertisers across the board have to narrow their focus.

It's also better for the end users too. If I'm looking for information on Red-tipped Flap Widgets I don't want to end up at "Fred's World-O-Widgets" and have to search his catalog again for the Red-tipped Flap Widget, I want to click from Google onto a page about Red-tipped Flap Widgets, period.

Sure, this will mean more work for advertisers, but it should lead to a better experience for end users and more opportunities and savings to advertisers as well.

Just my take on the silver lining...

ScottBannon, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  6. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They will spider your landing page but you do not need to have the exactly keyword phrase on landing page. You need to:

1) Match content: have relevant and related topic with the keyword - not the exactly landing page

2) Be focused: Do not have several to much different topics on the same landing page.

example: a web hosting provider landing page is very relevant for the keyword "How to build your own website" but do not need to have any of these keywords on landing page - is used the same algorithm for suggestion keyword tool to detect relevant keywords.

But the quality score will hurt if the landing page also is not focused: like begin to talk about other things like web design, web templates - also this prevent keyword stuffer sites.

Micromag, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  7. Micromag

Best Answers:
    Probably this will lead to a better result to all AdWords users.

They are just putting more focus on landing page relevancy. A lot of people has its keywords inactive due they have the right landing page but the wrong ad - now this will change.

Keep your landing page related to your keyword and all will be fine.

Micromag, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  8. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm wondering if this is part of the reason why AdSense eCPM has droped for me over the past several days. I do hope that in the long run this improves AdSense eCPM, but I really hate the short term pain caused by lowered ad revenues as people adjust to this.

KLB, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  9. Micromag

Best Answers:
    Quality Score do not affect content Network but could affect your Google Search Box on your site.

Also this is an announcement for the next coming days - not for the past.

Anyway this would affect the order of position of the ads placed on Google Search sponsored Links: giving more priority (position) for the sites that have content related to the keyword typed on search box. Theorically it do not change the average cpc value.

Micromag, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  10. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds good to me.

dougadam, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  11. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am doing just that now. Fixing landing pages. I am so tired of all you click on Thailand Massage and you come to a page with that word on it. Like the bestweb and many more. The customer will never click on my sites after that.

TheSyndicate, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  12. bara

bara Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't you think that new landing page requirements will effect mainly MFA pages?

bara, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  13. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    One can only hope that this takes a bite out of MFA sites.

KLB, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same and so far this change doesn't seem to have impacted those groups at all. Are you seeing any deactivation in those ad groups?

GuyFromChicago, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  15. ContentWorth

ContentWorth Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Now, it's even more important that these pages EXIST.
    Anyone need help turning out some quality landing pages for keywords PM me. I do this sort of thing for a living.

It's a good thing. Think long run benefit if you're going to hurt short term or if you're not really affected short term. It will be beneficial, in theory, in the future.

Plus it will make our own searches more relevant and I'm all for that!

ContentWorth, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  16. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a broad search that I discovered had been deactivated in the last hour.

The ad was averaging position 5 on search and 2.5 on content.

I've had to raise my bid by 66.7% to reactivate it. I'll be keeping a careful eye on actual costs in the next few hours.

In the last few minutes I've changed the title and h1 of my landing page for this broad campaign to try to match them better with the title of my adword ads.

Tomorrow the task begins of building more landing pages and cutting up the campaign into smaller chunks.

explorer, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  17. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:

This is exactly why I like this move as me being the end user and also a publisher.

I have already used up my 200 url blocks to stop crappy landing sites being advertised on my sites.

cormac, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  18. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The higher minimum bids only apply to the search results on the terms I'm interested in. Ads on the content network still seem to be readily purchased at lower prices - this means we can probably expect to see lots more MFA sites trying to place their ads on the content network. :rolleyes:

explorer, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  19. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    If this is true, it could drive a lot more advertisers to advertise on content sites which would be very good for AdSense publishers.

KLB, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  20. ssl

ssl Guest

Best Answers:

I dont think having a relevant landing page will help you - it did not help me.

see my posts here:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=106546&page=2

ssl, Jul 11, 2006 IP