1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How important is it to have a Sitemap with 0 errors?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by crazlunatic, Mar 25, 2009.

Hey just wondering how important it is to have a sitemap with no errors. Does Google penalize you if you have a lot of errors?

I mean as long as your sitemap is seen and indexed, its alright isnt it?

Btw I've got about 2600 errors, mainly due to a translation engine that hasn't finished translating yet but is showing a default static page.

crazlunatic, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  2. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    errors in sitemap don't hurt in Google results i.e. Google do no penalizes your site for it. if you have errors in your sitemap then do away with them so as to provide easy access to robots to the pages on the site.

shailendra, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  3. freebiefinder

freebiefinder Peon

Best Answers:
    Google wont penalize your site for having sitemap errors, they are there to help you solve issues which Google found while spidering your website.

freebiefinder, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  4. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok because the strange thing that's been happening is that when I was the first site to post certain news, I would be on page 1. Now I'm no longer on any page at all

crazlunatic, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  5. hddoctor

hddoctor Peon

Best Answers:
    I got 64 errors on my sitemap.

hddoctor, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  6. truivia

truivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I view this differently then the other posters here. Google now does place a higher level of importance on your site map, and it does need to be done correctly. In the Google webmaster tools section there is help there to create a proper site map :)

truivia, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  7. jesi

jesi Active Member

Best Answers:
    if your sitemap have no errors then google crawlers will get your pages and updates easily, in case of having errors google will not penalize and it will not effect on your SE results

jesi, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  8. 2kau

2kau Active Member

Best Answers:
    I constantly have errors from redirected pages and haven't noticed any penalties.

2kau, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  9. Bandits Inc

Bandits Inc Peon

Best Answers:
    You can look at it two ways - Google doesn't punish you - so no worries... on the other hand..You don't help Google help you... so you're maybe punishing your self?!?!?

Bandits Inc, Mar 30, 2009 IP
  10. Monker

Monker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there,
    my feeling is that you might compromise your SERP/ rank a little if your sitemap map has errors, google is into sitemaps at the mo, despite the fact that their webmasters tools can be rather ify. Since the algorithm values quality having a dodgy sitemap might compromise usability slightly.

Monker

Monker, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  11. jumbopanda

jumbopanda Peon

Best Answers:
    If you log into your Google Webmaster account, and click on "Sitemaps" in the left menu, you will be able to see the errors that you have. Google lets you know that errors are not necessarily errors, because you may have deliberately blocked a folder or file. Check it out.

jumbopanda, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  12. jtran2009

jtran2009 Banned

Best Answers:
    I have a wp blog and google webmaster tools said that there's a bunch if url that can't be found. Anyone have this problem on their wp blog? The site ranks well for the keyword, but I want it to be perfect. :)

jtran2009, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  13. spottydog

spottydog Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Tuivia. A sitemap is important, and why have one at all if it is not accurate?

spottydog, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  14. scribe

scribe Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same worry. I got a couple of errors where google says "URL restricted by robots.txt" I think it's got something to do with permalink. They were an old post that I retitled but the permalink remains the same and so obviously it would be erratic.
    I believe it's really important to have 0 errors in order to have a seamless crawling and indexing.

scribe, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  15. amol_cool

amol_cool Guest

Best Answers:
    Google doesn;t have problems with sitemap errors. The errors will only prevent access to robots and thus will take more time to index your site. However, it doesn't affect your site's ranking results.

amol_cool, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  16. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know a site that is number 1 for a keyword and has 100 sitemap errors.

Traffic-Bug, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  17. paprgypc

paprgypc Peon

Best Answers:
    I use google webmaster a lot and wanted to make sure that the errors that I had were not anything that was stopping google from crawling the site easily. So I addressed those issues and the tool was very good.

I would have a problem with 2600 errors, because I would not have the time to go through that many errors. That would make the webmaster tool pretty much useless. So I would advise trying to figure out how to get rid of some of the errors so you can use the tool effectively.

paprgypc, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  18. rabanata

rabanata Peon

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't punish you. I have errors from time to time

rabanata, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  19. SMseo

SMseo Peon

Best Answers:
    The Webmaster tool is actually a human interface to understand what is going on behind your website. There is an error with your website somewhere and thats why they are called the 'errors' in the first place. Important thing is that its always good to have them rectified unless you are too busy doing other important stuff.

It wont disturb your EXISTING rankings may be but if a Bot is unable to crawl / index certain pages then you might be at an opportunity loss.

SMseo, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  20. themedseoservices

themedseoservices Guest

Best Answers:
    if google finds errors in sitemap.we need to fix it.so that we can get positive result from google search engine.right now it wont affect the keyword rankings.but its good to clear those sitemap errors.

themedseoservices, Apr 24, 2009 IP