1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

With or Without DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by cscheat, Jul 9, 2006.

Dear DP members and experts,

I would like to ask is it good to register in DMOZ? because i haven't register yet... Will my visitor increase?

THANKS !!!

cscheat, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  2. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    38 Posts already and you still haven't a clue about posting threads in the right forum? For shame!

jackburton2006, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  3. cscheat

cscheat Peon

Best Answers:
    What the.... ????

cscheat, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure why you are asking, since you already appear to have submitted sites.

Note from the DMOZ How to suggest a site to the Open Directory

Do not submit sites "under construction." Wait until a site is complete before submitting it. Sites that are incomplete, contain "Under Construction" notices, or contain broken graphics or links aren't good candidates for the directory.

Also, made for Adsense sites are not good sites for DMOZ.

macdesign, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  5. ahtum

ahtum Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ will help you get a higher pagerank :). I don't know if you'll have a lot of visitors from it but it helps :).

ahtum, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  6. Steve Myers

Steve Myers Active Member

Best Answers:
    You visitors will increase if your keywords are good and description is of accurate length and words used in it are keen. Also, when you get listed in dmoz, it shouldn't take longer than 3-5 days to get noticed on the web by your keywords you use.

And like macdesign said, read the How to Suggest a Site to the ODP and you'll be good to go "If you understand it"

Steve Myers, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No more than any other link. There's nothing special about a link from DMOZ.

I had my first site listed in DMOZ about 1998 or 1999. The only visitors i ever get are editors checking me out. :eek:

Absolutely false. Total myth.

minstrel, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  8. ExoticCarSite.com

ExoticCarSite.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ha!, I submitted many many months & blue moons ago, and I'm still not in. I've submitted like.... 3 times in the space of 4 years [ generally once a year since it apparently takes 6 months to be listed]..... still nothing. So frustrating! I always forget about it, then one day, like today reading this thread, I go, oh wth? How long ago did I submit to DMOZ? Goddammit, its been over 6 months and still no word. GRRRRRR

Or something along those lines..

ExoticCarSite.com, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  9. Neil.Harvey

Neil.Harvey Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

It took a while for my site to be finally included in Dmoz, and that was after submitting 3-4 times!

I've not seen my vistors increase directly from Dmoz. But it's really helped my PR and that I think has helped my serps in google :)

Regards
    Neil

Neil.Harvey, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  10. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    When you say register, that makes it sound like you are gauranteed and due a listing, which is not the case.

You really don't "register", you are simply suggesting your site to be included in the directory. It is up to the editors if you are included or not.

You really want to fill out the form correctly and do everything specifically by the book or you could get ignored for being a goof ball. Although it is not right for an editor to do it in my opinion, you must remember you are dealing with real people that have their own quirks and agendas.

Personally I would use > for the submission email address and try to avoided one that might make you appear to be some SEO gomer. ;)

Peter Cornstalk, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Peter, that's not nice. SEO gomer's aren't all bad, in fact some of the best submissions I get in Regional categories come from seo gomer's who have read the guidelines. Some of them are so consistant with good submissions that I start to recognize their work and process their submissions as soon as I see them because I've learned to expect good things from them. In their case I appreciate that they submit with their company name rather than the domain email, they stand out better so I can pick them out of the crowd. ;)

Of course, they don't know I do this. :)

compostannie, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  12. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    I am referring to SEO folks that are bad... and that is the majority of them. Not that it means they can't fill out their submissions to DMOZ correctly, there is just too many people that have a connection to the Internet that proclaim themselves "SEO experts" (Kind of like anyone that knows how to download osCommerce is a professional web developer/designer). ;)

With all the spam I get from SEO gomers, I am holding my toung quite well by only referring to them as "gomers". :)

The best thing about SEO gomers is that I hope all my competition is wasting a lot of time and money using them! :D

13. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you mean tongue. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think it's such a good idea to go into a forum full of SEOs and badmouth them... even if it's true. ;)

ishfish, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying they're all good, I agree that it's more common to come across bad submissions from seo's than good. It's just that it isn't nice to paint them all with the same spammer brush, the same as it isn't nice when they paint us all with the same corrupt editor brush. It goes both ways and some seo people are very good. :)

15. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't do it then... stick to pointing out little irrelevent typos instead. :rolleyes: :D

16. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't think the number of submissions had anything to do with finally getting your site listed - probably more to do with when the site was reviewed.

You may have delayed the review/acceptance by resubmitting - the new submission overwrites the existing and if the reviewing editor sorts the sites by submission date, you've just moved yourself to the bottom of the list.

I'd resubmit once after 3 weeks and then move along. I'd guess that eventually, a suggestion would get reviewed.

CReed, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  17. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    They don't even have to spam... they are just automatically extremely suspicious in my book because of what they promise is what website owner should be doing themselves if they want it really done right. It is not much different than someone charging to do a rain dance every day and if and when it finally does rain, they say "See what I did!" or nothing happens and they go away. ;)

18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of website owners don't know how to do it themselves so they hire a professional to do it for them.

The same could be said of almost any business that offers a service. For example, I can't even begin to understand why anyone would use the services of a dog groomer yet they exist all over the place. Why not bathe and groom your own dog? Yet I wouldn't dream of saying they're automatically suspect just because they provide a service that could easily be done by the dog's owner. On the other hand, some dogs love water. My dogs have a little kiddie pool that they like to play in on hot days. Does it make them less clean if they happen to bathe themselves?

A DMOZ listing does not make a site successful. Any SEO who thinks it does is a fool and most likely a spammer. I'm talking about the ones who know what they're doing and don't need to cheat.

19. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a service that is predictable... you take your dog in, they say come pick him up. You know what time it will be done and you will see (and smell) the results and pay. It is easy to scam people with SEO promises when nobody can make any promises because they have no control over free listings any more than they have control over the weather.

On the other hand, if you can't check your own oil and verify it is ok and rely on other people to do it, it can end up costing you a lot of money real quick! This also reminds me of dealerships that will charge to rotate tires and they won't even touch them... unless you can check and know for sure that they were really rotated and can see that they were rotated in the right sequence, you will be buying a new set of tires sooner than needed.

If you know what needs to be done, but need help implementing it, you just need a website designer/developer and not a self proclaimend SEO expert. Much less risk of wasting a lot of time and money that way.

20. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, call me odd, but I love grooming my dogs and I don't have a clue about how to check my own oil. That's what husbands are for. ;)