1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google pagerank is Updating

Discussion in 'Google' started by checkrankings, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    LMAO Roman.. This is what I call Seriously funny..... Good one.

The Webmaster, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  2. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    then you need to get off the internet

Canadianbacon, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  3. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Oyireally...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Webmaster, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  4. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Webby, look at the guys avatar. He spray paints pigs for fun. I mean, c'mon, he's Canadian... they have a warped sense of humor. Ever see "Kids in the Hall"?

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No, Webby. Look at mvandermar's avatar. What do you see? Nothing.

Coincidence? :D

minstrel, Jul 8, 2006 IP
    Canadianbacon likes this.
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It Can't Michael, and you are absolutely right. Newtons third law and all that, Yin & Yang Everything in nature and life and everything HAS to have an equal opposite. It is absolutely impossible for all the sites to be affected negatively.

People need to get their head around this as it is key. When google update, they do not give shit WHO is at the top of the tree. ALL they care about is that the click through average score goes down. If it goes down, then it means people are finding what they want nearer the top.

In case anyone is wondering WTF I am talking about. Google record the position of each click in their serps (have a look at the code from a google SERP and see the on mouse click action). Google know that if the average is 3.1111111117 and they introduce an update, and this drops to 3.1111111112 then their algo is more effective. They really do not care WHO's sites are there, as long as the magic number goes down, and the searches do not, it means that people are finding what they want as they are not leaving.

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 8, 2006 IP
    KevinJB likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Except that for a specific search term, it is not inconceivable that it could. The logic of finite PR applies to all pages in the index, not to all pages within a portion of the index. Theoretically, at least, one portion of the index could see a consistent drop after an update while another portion could see a consistent increase.

I think some people have felt this has been what happened in some of the previous more notorious updates.

minstrel, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  8. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree in a broad stroke it can negatively affect a p0rrtion. Once again though it is possible that it might be cause and effect? IE everyone in one sector uses the same methodology as they copy each other. That methodology takes abump, and everyone wrongly assumes it is an attack against that area.

Anyhow I am too tired to stay up, it is late, I am tired, and I have a party to go to tomoorow afternoon at 3pm :D

9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is possible for PR across the board to drop I suppose, but in relative terms everybody will still be as well off as they were before.

MattUK, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  10. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Sorry Matt, I was talking about positions drop. PR would INSTANTLY drop across the board if there were less pages in the index, in the same way as it goes up if there are more. Who gets the extra PR is a different thing though :)

11. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry OWG, I wasn't commenting on your post, it was just a general point about how an 'PR update' could be described as negatively affecting everybody.

MattUK, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  12. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure PR is a relative scale. It's why it is adjusting all of the time. The amount of links needed to get a PR10 website today is many times the amount of links needed to get a PR10 website 3 years ago. It's why Yahoo dropped to a PR9... it's not so much that fewer people were linking to it, the link count still went up... just didn't go up enough compared to the size of the overall index.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  13. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    With the billion page sub-domain spammer and all the copycats churning out millions of spam pages, I wouldn't at all be suprised to see everyone take a PR hit.

As Mvandemar stated PR is relative and it continually gets harder to get and/or maintain higher PRs. For instance two or three years ago one of my pages achived a PR7 for a couple of updates, but eventually slid back to PR6 even though the number of links to that page continued to increase. Infact that page now has more back links to it than it did when it was a PR7 even though it is still a PR6.

KLB, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Yep , when I said PR goes up if there are more pages and down if there are less, I was referring of course to the overall value of PR in the pot. Your spot on in that it is relative to the available PR overall value. It is a number crunching excersice, and if you think about it logically then it is simple. It is exactly the same as School grades in the UK (not sure how they work elsewhere). The people who got an A grade Maths Alevel THIS year, would have had a D grade 3 years ago. The reason was that the standard was SO HIGH 3 years ago in Maths that you needed to do Much better then.

eg 1000 people sit the test . 800 of them score above 900 . Wel they can't give them all an A grade, so they split it down into
    980 + = A
    940 + = B
    900 + = C
    900 - = D Fail

Now the following year there might be ony 300 scoring over 900
    so tit would work 900+ =A . I know it might appear unfair, but the whole grading system is "RELATIVE TO YOUR PEERS" And that is how PR works also.

If you think about it. PR that we see on a scale of 0-10 (or 11 actually) is a fixed value. but how then can some PR10's be higher than others? Because they are!

If Yahoo had an accumulated score of 1000 2 years ago when the average accumulated value was 600 then damn right it deserved PR10. But if 2 years later it has a score of 1100 when the average is 1200 then it SHOULD (And does) lose its PR10.

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  15. D'Godown

D'Godown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    check on fakepr.info, it judges 301 redirection or not.

D'Godown, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  16. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is this for real? All the sites I have been working on look like they stayed the same. Stop teasing me with PR updates that didn't really happen. :rolleyes:

Web Gazelle, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  17. Pickle

Pickle Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like it was more of a canonicalization issue seen on some of the Google Co-op sites. Looks like everything is back to normal now. Digg has its page rank back. Strange things still occurring. Type "dig" into Google and get their (as I call 'em) informational results. What's up with Disney's dig.com? That was one that had a PR of zero earlier today now its not redirecting at all.

Pickle, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  18. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Has it updated?? :confused:

terryuk, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  19. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When viewed from the prism of the history of the universe, google has updated PR only a fraction of a second ago :p

lorien1973, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  20. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, if that means yeh it has in english, thats crap lol no updates from the sites ive been working on :(

terryuk, Jul 11, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.