1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thoughts about Ruby on Rails...

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Caydel, Jul 7, 2006.

Hello!

Just out of curiosity, how many people here use Ruby on Rails in their development work? I just started using it myself, and really enjoy it - it is quick and simply to design some fairly robust webapps. Strictly MVC and OO, and alot simpler and cleaner than PHP, ASP or JSP...

I am kind of interested in your thoughts of it, and would like to quickly link to a short guide I just wrote called So You Wanna Begin Programming With Ruby on Rails?

BTW, that is on my blog - the one site I have which contains no advertising. That is the only site I have where I post for fun, not money...

Anyways, Any Ruby on Rails comments/thoughts etc. are appreciated. I want to know what the community thinks!

Caydel, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  2. brunozugay

brunozugay Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard nothing but praise about it. Haven't dinked around with it myself though.

What is your programming background by the way?

brunozugay, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  3. Eadz

Eadz Peon

Best Answers:
    Eadz, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  4. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    Computer Science Major, Math Minor, have experience in C,C++, Java, JSP, PHP, and now have spent a couple of weeks with Ruby...

Must have missed that...

Caydel, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  5. dc dalton

dc dalton Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've tinkered with Ruby but I wont touch rails. I DON'T liek all these "frameworks" that are coming out ... they tend to be bloated as the devil and that includes all the Java and PHP frameworks.... I run very lean MVC controllers that I build and that are faster than lightning ... do NOT like bloat and I don't like a lot of these things that supposedly do the work for the developer!

As far as Ruby goes I do like it, quite easy to pick up. I'm not ready to jump yet because it is still VERY early in the game for it but it looks like a winner in the making.

My "creds", as they say? Sun certified Java programmer (6 years), former IT instructor at the college level (mainly Java), I do Java, PHP, heavy db apps, XHTML interfaces, Javascript ... yadda, yadda, yadda..

I REALLY hope Ruby takes off and gets more support ... both the PHP and the Java camps need a swift kick in the butt right now!

dc dalton, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  6. Eadz

Eadz Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want something a bit more lighweight than rails for ruby, check out camping. It still uses rails's ActiveRecord for the db, so you get all that goodness, but is very very lightweight.

I wouldn't say it's for the beginner programmer, check out how you make routes :

class BlogEdit < R '/edit/(\d+)'; end
    Code (markup):
    R is a function that creates a class with routing code that matches /edit/(\d+) etc, which then your BlogEdit class inherits from! very meta programming style..

Eadz, Jul 8, 2006 IP