1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Standard rates?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by JAMALG, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Ildar

Ildar Member

Best Answers:
    It is hardly to believe that there can be much clients ready to pay 200$ for an article. We pay 10$ and get good quality content.

Ildar, Mar 11, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And those that want expert writers in a specialty area to provide authority content that builds trust with readers and keeps them coming back do pay it. In fact, they pay significantly more than that (for a 400-800 word feature article - as in for print or online trade publications, I charge closer to $1.00 per word, and many writers charge that much and more). My Web content rates are actually somewhat low on the professional side. Actually, just last week another writer was saying my rates were much too low. Fortunately DP is far from the only market, and it's even more fortunate that some webmasters really do "get it" when it comes to the value of authority content. If "good quality" at $10 works for your website and your audience, then by all means, stick with what you're doing. However, those same articles simply wouldn't cut it for other businesses and publications.

jhmattern, Mar 11, 2009 IP
  3. rbf738

rbf738 Peon

Best Answers:
    Standards always vary in different circles, depending on the writers. Around here it's a bit cheaper because it's been flooded as of late, so you can probably get a better deal if you really want it, but the work will most likely suffer.

rbf738, Mar 11, 2009 IP
  4. Folbiddle

Folbiddle Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a few writers that would write for free for one or two articles, typically things that don't involve more than a little research, and just ask for referrals. After a bit you can just work with your referrals and not go to places like DP and such.

Folbiddle, Mar 11, 2009 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No one has to write for free in the beginning just to get referrals, and if they're smart, they won't do it for that reason. The only exception would be if they could get a highly-respected company or organization under their belt (generally a well-known nonprofit organization, as for-profit companies have no excuse to be asking for free work under any circumstances if they're really that known to begin with). Doing free work for a few webmasters no one has ever heard of does nothing significant for your career as a writer. In fact, it can be a huge setback, as you've just set the tone telling members of your target market that you're a sucker - and you'd better believe webmasters talk (when they refer you to others they know, chances are good they'll mention they got their work for free when the other person asks what you charge - sets you up to be low-balled later). If you're going to take on ANY free work in your writing career, make sure it's extremely selective, not just for generic "referrals," and that it's going to offer you something of real value that you couldn't get in another way.

jhmattern, Mar 12, 2009 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  6. Hesster

Hesster Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would your writers do work for free for referrals from people who are cheap and won't pay you what your time is worth? In my experience, they'll just refer you to more people who are cheap and won't pay you what your time is worth either. Not exactly the type of client you want if you plan on making a living with your writing.

Some of you might have seen this before, but I agree with Harlan Ellison here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Hesster, Mar 12, 2009 IP
  7. JAMALG

JAMALG Banned

Best Answers:
    I have had a few people comment on my sales thread stating that if I lowered my prices, I would get more people coming to me. I think my prices are low enough but decent enough to make do. I haven't gotten a lot of bites but patience is key and eventually I'll be able to snag some good gigs on a regular basis.

Don't settle for less..

JAMALG, Mar 28, 2009 IP